Doogie: Gophers are trying to secure Kansas at US Bank Stadium for upcoming season

This would be great! The Lawson brothers (Memphis) and Moore (California) will be able to play next season after sitting out a year, so Kansas will be stacked, even with some losses to the NBA Draft. Pitino and staff, get this done.

I love it! I'd rather see it in the Barn, but I love the idea of scheduling Kansas. It also gives me the feeling that Pitino likes the potential of this team more than most of the posters here....:) He wants the challenge and thinks these kids might be up to the task.

I've heard this would not be included in the season ticket package. If so, that would be another slap in the face to the loyal fans.

I've heard this would not be included in the season ticket package. If so, that would be another slap in the face to the loyal fans.

That would be ridiculous, and par for the course.

Go Gophers!!

Perhaps a return game at the Sprint Center in 2019-20?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They wouldn't do KState at the Bank stadium. Not a big enough draw.

Fair point, BGA, but the hard part part is there aren't all that many programs that would be a big enough draw (KU, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Villanova, etc.). And the harder part is getting one of those elites to do this. Kudos to the U of M and/or U.S. Bank Stadium if they're able to pull this off with Kansas as the opponent.

Also, there are rumblings it might be a doubleheader. Hoping that's true. I could go for a Gophers-Kansas, Iowa State-Duke doubleheader! K loves the state of Minnesota. Two of his championships were won at the HumptyDome.

Fair point, BGA, but the hard part part is there aren't all that many programs that would be a big enough draw (KU, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Villanova, etc.). And the harder part is getting one of those elites to do this. Kudos to the U of M and/or U.S. Bank Stadium if they're able to pull this off with Kansas as the opponent.

Also, there are rumblings it might be a doubleheader. Hoping that's true. I could go for a Gophers-Kansas, Iowa State-Duke doubleheader! K loves the state of Minnesota. Two of his championships were won at the HumptyDome.

Double header makes some sense. They don't even need Duke. Make the other game a neutral court Iowa State versus Iowa game and half of Iowa would drive up for the game. Bottom line: Money talks. The big programs don't take road games because there's not enough dough in them. They can pay Oink Tech to come in to their home court for $200K while take a million plus for the game from the season ticket holders, TV and concessions. A big stadium event changes the money equation.

Double header makes some sense. They don't even need Duke. Make the other game a neutral court Iowa State versus Iowa game and half of Iowa would drive up for the game. Bottom line: Money talks. The big programs don't take road games because there's not enough dough in them. They can pay Oink Tech to come in to their home court for $200K while take a million plus for the game from the season ticket holders, TV and concessions. A big stadium event changes the money equation.

As does the opportunity to play on the Final Four court/stadium, which would be the biggest draw for the blue-bloods.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, definitely nowhere close to the draw of Kansas, but even if it ends up being Kansas St, they'll probably be ranked in the preseason top 25, as they return almost their entire team that went to the Elite Eight (they did get lucky playing a 16 seed in the second round, but they did beat Kentucky in the Sweet Sixteen). So it would definitely be a quality opponent for the Gophers.

I LOVE THE IDEA! But time and time again this program just F*#@s season ticket holders.

I LOVE THE IDEA! But time and time again this program just F*#@s season ticket holders.

Hey, don't sell the marketing/ticketing/Athletics folks short. This year if you ordered your season tickets before April 30 they offered season-ticket holders prize drawings, including a Gopher cap signed by Richard Pitino! Oh Nelly (as the late, great Keith Jackson would say), such a perk for season-ticket holders to get their orders in! (sarcasm alert)

If it is a double header. The second game should be Badgers vs. Cyclones!

Get some more cheese money spent in Minnesota.

OR

Second game could be remove the basketball court from over the ice and have Gophers vs UND in Hockey!

I would take a different tack to fill out a double-header. I think it would fun to have some smaller schools play the opener - maybe a SW MN State vs. MN State-Mankato, or Winona State. Or, how about an NDSU vs. SDSU? Those schools have loyal fan bases that would jump at the chance to come to the big city and watch their team play.

I would take a different tack to fill out a double-header. I think it would fun to have some smaller schools play the opener - maybe a SW MN State vs. MN State-Mankato, or Winona State. Or, how about an NDSU vs. SDSU? Those schools have loyal fan bases that would jump at the chance to come to the big city and watch their team play.

I don't mind the idea of some combination of SDSU/NDSU/UND/USD vs. another D1 opponent being the opening act to the Main Event. But if it's a doubleheader it has to be 4 D1 schools. Don't water it down too much by having non-Division I teams.

Hey, don't sell the marketing/ticketing/Athletics folks short. This year if you ordered your season tickets before April 30 they offered season-ticket holders prize drawings, including a Gopher cap signed by Richard Pitino! Oh Nelly (as the late, great Keith Jackson would say), such a perk for season-ticket holders to get their orders in! (sarcasm alert)

I'm being 100% honest when I say this: that's the reason I DID NOT renew early. I have no need for another cap or other bric-a-brac, even if it were signed by the pope or Paul McCartney. If they think that's a prize...

I'm being 100% honest when I say this: that's the reason I DID NOT renew early. I have no need for another cap or other bric-a-brac, even if it were signed by the pope or Paul McCartney. If they think that's a prize...

We paid 4 days after the "prize drawing" deadline.

Make the prize a couple extra tickets to a Big 10 game, a good non-conference home game (ha ha), or better yet a pair of tickets to the game at U.S. Bank Stadium vs. presumably a quality opponent and perhaps we'd have felt an urgency to pay 4 days earlier. Either way, they're getting our $30 handling fee!

I was in multiple conversations about the U.S. Bank game with the ticket office. I can assure all with 99% certitude that it is NOT part of the season ticket package. The "reason" given was that it was not the U's venue and it was going to be more expensive and they didn't want season ticket holders to have to "pay more." They also said there would be other teams in another game involved so they couldn't just give the seats to our season ticket holders. I asked what kind of additional game and they had no idea. I'm at the stage of being willing to pay if it is a decent Gopher game and another D-1 game of any kind. I'm not coughing up an extra $60-100 for a D-2 or MIAC game.

I think not including it in the package is a kick in the face. Is there a date on it for sure?

Can some explain to me how/why this would be included in the season ticket package? Its a neutral site game against a non-conference opponent. Just because its close to home?

Not taking shots at anyone just wondering the logic.

Edit: Saw the answer above.

Can some explain to me how/why this would be included in the season ticket package? Its a neutral site game against a non-conference opponent. Just because its close to home?

Not taking shots at anyone just wondering the logic.

Edit: Saw the answer above.

Those of us old farts remember a regular season game at the Dome in 95 against West Virginia. It was included in the season ticket package as "neutral" site game. Same situation as now. Big non-basketball venue needing a dress rehearsal for NCAA tournament (can't remember if it was Final Four or not). If nothing else, having it in the package assures 7-8,000 tickets sold.

They seriously did that? I'm embarrassed for them.

I was in multiple conversations about the U.S. Bank game with the ticket office. I can assure all with 99% certitude that it is NOT part of the season ticket package. The "reason" given was that it was not the U's venue and it was going to be more expensive and they didn't want season ticket holders to have to "pay more." They also said there would be other teams in another game involved so they couldn't just give the seats to our season ticket holders. I asked what kind of additional game and they had no idea. I'm at the stage of being willing to pay if it is a decent Gopher game and another D-1 game of any kind. I'm not coughing up an extra $60-100 for a D-2 or MIAC game.

I think not including it in the package is a kick in the face. Is there a date on it for sure?

The U's concern for keeping season ticket prices low is touching, but that only seems to be a priority for them when the fans would actually get something extra for the increase.

The U's concern for keeping season ticket prices low is touching, but that only seems to be a priority for them when the fans would actually get something extra for the increase.

Well said. They already have is paying premiums for the better seats. Matter of time before it's a separate tier to see the better games.

If it is a double header. The second game should be Badgers vs. Cyclones!

Get some more cheese money spent in Minnesota.

OR

Second game could be remove the basketball court from over the ice and have Gophers vs UND in Hockey!

Screw Wisconsin! They're already trying to steal our recruits in Minnesota why give them a game up here.

This is almost as bad as scheduling a bunch of SWAC and MEAC schools - but in the opposite direction. What is the point of scheduling a team to attract a large audience so that said audience can watch us get drubbed by 25? Why not schedule a team that we have a realistic chance of competing with? Getting run out of the building also doesn't help a coach fighting for his job.

This is almost as bad as scheduling a bunch of SWAC and MEAC schools - but in the opposite direction. What is the point of scheduling a team to attract a large audience so that said audience can watch us get drubbed by 25? Why not schedule a team that we have a realistic chance of competing with? Getting run out of the building also doesn't help a coach fighting for his job.

——————————————

Top Bottom