All Things Paige Bueckers Recruitment Thread - Videos, Analysis, Tid-Bits, Articles

Its not as long of shot as everyone thinks and yes itll trigger more because Paige and Azzi fudd will very likely play together.

There’s no way Fudd would play at Minnesota. She’s already an urban legend.

Bueckers isn't going to pick a college because of Niele Ivey. She just isn't. She's going to pick a college based on her relationship with the head coach and what that coach and school can do for her goals which are winning championships, becoming an AA and ultimately playing in the pros and on the USA WNT.

Well ND did just win a NCAA championship.

I do think it matters to Bueckers who her teammates are and will be, but there will be enough of those players at ND and UConn that the friends factor won't be much of an issue. Brunelle's presence at ND may be a factor but it won't be the deciding factor on where Bueckers chooses to play.

There’s a lot of factors, and they seem to be building up for ND. The respect for Ivey, Brunelle committing to ND, and the brand new NCAA championship, something UConn hasn’t done in a while. They seemed to have lost a bit of their shine.

She isn't going to say "Gee, I'd like to play for Geno but because Sam is at ND I think I'll go there." After all, Brunelle's first choice was UConn but Geno and his staff decided to go in a different direction. Are we now to believe that Bueckers will pick ND while she would have picked UConn had Brunelle got her wish? That's silly.

Well, that sounds like a rumor that can’t be documented. If it’s not a rumor, it’s probably one of the more regrettable moves UConn has made, but we’ll see.

Niele Ivey seems to be a pretty good recruiter and she's helped Muffet in that area. ND won the national championship in 2001 and Muffet seemed unable to capitalize on that championship and the ND mystique on the recruiting trail. Things changed when Ivey came on board. She's big on social media, likes to use lingo popular with the teens ("lit" "dope") and earns herself a lot of likes. Yet with all of ND's recruiting advantages they've still lost quite a few battles to Geno and UConn over the years.

Times they are a changing. Are you in denial about ND winning last year’s championship? I see, I see....

No one knows what kind of head coach Ivey will be. Muffet is brilliant with the Xs and Os but doesn't necessarily win over recruits with her personality. Ivey helps her there and Ivey helps sell the ND brand, but being the head coach is very different and Ivey is unproven.

I think it’s a lot easier going from championship level assistant coach to head coach than from WNBA player to head coach, but I guess I’m weird like that.

I think Minnesota made the right choice by picking Whalen. She's from MN, she's an alum, she'll retire from the job if successful and she's a winner.

Of course you think that. You don’t want Minnesota to have a shot at Bueckers, so Whalen was the perfect choice in a UConn fan’s eyes.

Bueckers isn't going to play for UM and picking Ivey would not have changed that one bit.

Gee, I guess it’s already decided because a random UConn fan says so. We should probably just stop talking about Bueckers, right? She’s already spoken for?

Plus, Ivey will succeed McGraw at ND whether she's still on the ND bench or is coaching at another school when Muffet retires.

I dunno... my predictions have been pretty good. Did you see where I said Whalen’s last season with the Lynx could be a disaster because in part she was spreading herself too thin between two jobs? It was a disaster. Probably not all her fault as Reeve made some really poor personnel choices, including asking Whalen not to retire before the season.

BTW, the thought that Geno gave Whalen a good recommendation because he's recruiting Bueckers makes zero sense.

Could be a reach, but I wouldn’t put it past him either. Recruiting is a cut-throat business, and Geno is a shark.

If it's all about Ivey -- which it isn't but just playing along -- then he's not going to get Bueckers in any event so why would that affect his recommendation on Whalen?

Because like you, Geno might think a no-experience coach like Whalen would have no chance to score a recruit like Bueckers.

Plus, Bueckers at ND is more of a threat to UConn than Bueckers at UM. He thinks the world of Whalen from his USA BB days and gave his opinion when asked.

Well, you let Geno know you’re doing a great job being his spokesperson. I think Geno wants Bueckers on his team. He’s not wrapped up about where she’d be a threat. There’s a lot of players that could be a threat to UConn.

Finally, I think it's folly to make recruiting predictions based on social media likes. Too many fans do that and end up being wrong most of the time.

Evidentially you were so concerned about it that you felt a need to make an account here and spend so much time addressing this “folly”. Sounds like a worried UConn fan.

I just looked at Buecker's twitter likes and she liked a tweet from Carly Thibault. She also liked a very rare tweet from a UConn coach -- Jasmine Lister. The UConn asst coaches don't tweet often (Dailey not at all) so there just aren't tweets to like. How do we know what Bueckers is thinking about UConn if there aren't tweets to like?

For somebody who thinks social media interactions are meaningless, you seem to be really into it. I don’t blame you for being worried. It’s telegraphed all over your post.

Well ND did just win a NCAA championship.

There’s a lot of factors, and they seem to be building up for ND. The respect for Ivey, Brunelle committing to ND, and the brand new NCAA championship, something UConn hasn’t done in a while. They seemed to have lost a bit of their shine.

UConn won 4 national championships in a row from 2013 to 2016. They've reached 11 straight Final Fours. They've won 11 national championships. They lost in the past 2 Final Fours on last second shots. That's losing shine? Wow. What does that say about the rest of women's college basketball? Are you new to this sport? Notre Dame went 17 years between national championships. The longest UConn has gone since winning its first has been 5 years.

Well, that sounds like a rumor that can’t be documented. If it’s not a rumor, it’s probably one of the more regrettable moves UConn has made, but we’ll see.

Not a rumor. It's from her Dad. Regrettable? Did you watch the U17 World Championships? Probably not. Brunelle hardly played and there's a reason for that.

Of course you think that. You don’t want Minnesota to have a shot at Bueckers, so Whalen was the perfect choice in a UConn fan’s eyes.

Okay, you're still not making sense. Again, if Bueckers doesn't choose UConn then any UConn fan with half a brain would want her at Minnesota rather than Notre Dame. Do I need to get out the crayons? Let me repeat, as a UConn fan I would love it if Paige Bueckers picked UConn. If she doesn't, I most definitely want her at Minnesota.

Could be a reach, but I wouldn’t put it past him either. Recruiting is a cut-throat business, and Geno is a shark.

Actually he's not. If he wants a player he goes after the player and sells her on his program's results, both team accomplishments and the great players he's produced. He doesn't need to be a shark.

Well, you let Geno know you’re doing a great job being his spokesperson. I think Geno wants Bueckers on his team. He’s not wrapped up about where she’d be a threat. There’s a lot of players that could be a threat to UConn.

You're not making sense again. It was you who first suggested that Geno gave Whalen a good recommendation because of Bueckers. Now you're agreeing with me it's irrelevant. But didn't you just suggest otherwise earlier in your post? You're all over the place. Geno wants Bueckers, period. If she doesn't pick UConn then she'll go where she goes. He has no control over that.

BTW, I'm not doing half the job you're doing on behalf of Niele Ivey. Are you related?

For somebody who thinks social media interactions are meaningless, you seem to be really into it. I don’t blame you for being worried. It’s telegraphed all over your post.

Actually, I checked Buecker's twitter page once to make a point. If that's being "into it" then how would you describe what you do? Stalking?

I'm not worried. I'm just a fan whose team has had a lot of success. That makes it fun to be a fan. I love the Lynx and I especially love Lindsay Whalen. I wish her a lot of luck except with Paige Bueckers. But if UConn doesn't get Bueckers I sure hope Whalen does.

Cheers!

Last edited:

UConn won 4 national championships in a row from 2013 to 2016. They've reached 11 straight Final Fours. They've won 11 national championships. They lost in the past 2 Final Fours on last second shots. That's losing shine? Wow. What does that say about the rest of women's college basketball?

Yeah, they were shiny back then, but not so shiny lately. Can’t even make the finals two years in a row with arguably the best recruits in the nation? Something seems off.

Not a rumor. It's from her Dad.

Well you’re obviously not her dad, so it’s still a rumor.

Brunelle hardly played and there's a reason for that.

That doesn’t mean Bueckers won’t want to play with her, so you keep fooling yourself.

Okay, you're still not making sense.

I’m trying to figure out why you’re here? You think your actions will help UConn secure Bueckers?

Again, if Bueckers doesn't choose UConn then any UConn fan with half a brain would want her at Minnesota rather than Notre Dame.

Any UConn fan with half a life wouldn’t care.

Do I need to get out the crayons?

Might as well. I know you must have them handy.

Let me repeat, as a UConn fan I would love it if Paige Bueckers picked UConn. If she doesn't, I most definitely want her at Minnesota.

You don’t seem very genuine since you already flat out said that Bueckers is not staying in Minnesota. You’re not saying you’d want Bueckers to go Minnesota out of the goodness of your heart. You’re insulting the program by saying they’re no threat.

He doesn't need to be a shark.

I’ll take your word for it. I’m sure he’s a total angel.

Geno wants Bueckers, period. If she doesn't pick UConn then she'll go where she goes. He has no control over that.

Yeah, so I guess you think you can make a difference?

BTW, I'm not doing half the job you're doing on behalf of Niele Ivey. Are you related?

Who’s not making sense? I’m a Minnesota fan, who can evaluate Ivey’s qualifications from a neutral position. You’re obviously trashing Ivey because of how much of threat she represents to UConn nation. I think that shows just how good she is.

Actually, I checked Buecker's twitter page once to make a point. If that's being "into it" then how would you describe what you do?

Like I already said, those tweets fell naturally on my timeline. You had to make an effort to find things, and you probably continue to do so because you’re obviously overly-obsessed with Bueckers for someone who doesn’t live in Minnesota. You need to be vetted on your Twitter claims because I’m not sensing a lot of integrity here.

Stalking?

Says the person trolling a message board saying we have no chance at Bueckers.

I'm not worried. I'm just a fan whose team has had a lot of success.

Worried enough to start an account here just to argue with me. I guess your hatred of Ivey drove you to it? I’m hoping Bueckers wants no part of this kind of arrogance from UConn fans.

I wish her a lot of luck except with Paige Bueckers.

OBVIOUSLY! Hoping Whalen doesn’t get Bueckers isn’t really wishing her well, is it? Bueckers is going to be a huge difference maker.

But if UConn doesn't get Bueckers I sure hope Whalen does.

Thanks for the parting shot. Hopefully we’ll get Bueckers and kick your butt in the tournament. It would give me immense pleasure.

Yeah, they were shiny back then, but not so shiny lately. Can’t even make the finals two years in a row with arguably the best recruits in the nation? Something seems off.

Yeah, something's definitely off. So terrible. 11 straight final fours. That's awful. You sound credible. Again, new to this sport?

Well you’re obviously not her dad, so it’s still a rumor.

Yeah . . .no. I've seen the evidence.

I'm sure he's a total angel.

Black and white thinking is not a good trait in an adult.

I’m trying to figure out why you’re here? You think your actions will help UConn secure Bueckers?

I like the Gophers and I was tired of reading your ridiculous posts on why the Gophers should have hired Niele Ivey as if she were the key to Bueckers. You post on the UConn board and from what I observe you don't add a lot of value to that board.

You don’t seem very genuine since you already flat out said that Bueckers is not staying in Minnesota. You’re not saying you’d want Bueckers to go Minnesota out of the goodness of your heart. You’re insulting the program by saying they’re no threat.

It's called realistic. It takes time to build up a program to compete for championships consistently. I was at the final four when Whalen and McCarville almost beat UConn. That was when I fell in love with Whalen. Minnesota was never able to sustain what was started back then. It's hard.

Who’s not making sense? I’m a Minnesota fan, who can evaluate Ivey’s qualifications from a neutral position. You’re obviously trashing Ivey because of how much of threat she represents to UConn nation. I think that shows just how good she is.

LOL. Whalen and Ivey have won exactly the same number of games as a head coach. Whalen was the best choice for Minnesota. The fact that you can't see that makes me question your judgement.

Like I already said, those tweets fell naturally on my timeline. You had to make an effort to find things, and you probably continue to do so because you’re obviously overly-obsessed with Bueckers for someone who doesn’t live in Minnesota. You need to be vetted on your Twitter claims because I’m not sensing a lot of integrity here.

Fell naturally on your timeline? That's the best stalker excuse I have ever heard. The best ever.

Says the person trolling a message board saying we have no chance at Bueckers.

Says the person who has been saying the same thing to fans here. At least I'm supporting the Whalen hire.

OBVIOUSLY! Hoping Whalen doesn’t get Bueckers isn’t really wishing her well, is it?

Of course it is. At least I'm happy Whalen got the job which is more than you said about her. Remember, you want Niele Ivey on the gopher bench. Who's not wishing her well.

Thanks for the parting shot. Hopefully we’ll get Bueckers and kick your butt in the tournament. It would give me immense pleasure.

Hopefully Minnesota will do that one day. That would be good for the game and would also mean Whalen is having success as a head coach. It would also prove you wrong which would be an added bonus.

As fun (not) as this fighting is to watch... different news. It’s September 1st. Teams can contact class of 2020. Guessing Bueckers will be busy today.

As fun (not) as this fighting is to watch... different news. It’s September 1st. Teams can contact class of 2020. Guessing Bueckers will be busy today.

You're right. She will be busy.

My apologies to you and the board. My original post was to offer my thoughts on and in support of the Whalen hire. Part of that involved me saying that Niele Ivey would not have brought Bueckers to Minnesota. I still believe that. I didn't respond initially to Shades's post because I didn't want to start the kind of childish back and forth you're seeing. I didn't expect the response I got and I chose to engage rather than just ignoring it.

I'm done with that.

I'm a huge fan and supporter of women's basketball. I happen to be a UConn fan but also love Whalen. I've seen Whalen play in person on USA Basketball in international competitions and just love her. If I have something meaningful to offer on women's basketball or the Gophers or Bueckers, I'll weigh in but no more of the nonsense I've played a part in.

If I knew how to delete my last post I would gladly do so. I can not figure out how to do that on this board.

All you have to do is ask the moderator.

No offense taken by me, WBB. I got what you were trying to say. As you were new to the board, you didn't know better than to engage with someone who will try to interpret everything you say, including hello, and someone who always has to have the last word. On a more positive note, it's well known that Geno and UConn are willing to play anybody, anywhere. I'm wondering if Whalen will ever consider picking up the phone and calling Geno to see if he'd like to bring his Huskies to Minnesota for a non-conference game. I'm not sure this year's version of the Gophers would be all that competitive with UConn, but as Whalen builds this program, it might be something to look toward in the future. Given this year's non-conference schedule of patsies, a game like that would quite the schedule critics like me, and it would give UConn a chance to play in front of 14,000 animated Gopher fans.

Yeah, something's definitely off. So terrible. 11 straight final fours. That's awful. You sound credible. Again, new to this sport?

No, but 16 yr olds are pretty new to it. They mostly see what’s happening now. Recency bias. What has UConn done lately? Frustrating to entitled fans, I know.

Yeah . . .no. I've seen the evidence.

Well, keep it to yourself then. You seem trustworthy. I really don’t care either way. It won’t affect Bueckers feelings towards Brunelle. You have no qualms when it comes to trashing whoever.

I like the Gophers and I was tired of reading your ridiculous posts on why the Gophers should have hired Niele Ivey as if she were the key to Bueckers.

I guess you should have jumped in when that discussion was more relevant instead of lurking (stalking?) Now I’m half thinking you’re a board member with another account so you won’t get in trouble for big personal shots. Hmm... I wonder who has been supportive of your posts?

You post on the UConn board and from what I observe you don't add a lot of value to that board.

Oh, another personal shot. I guess I have the stalker? Sounds like you’re very insecure about my contributions.

It's called realistic. It takes time to build up a program to compete for championships consistently. I was at the final four when Whalen and McCarville almost beat UConn. That was when I fell in love with Whalen. Minnesota was never able to sustain what was started back then. It's hard.

You fell in love with Whalen so much you waited until now to start an account. Okay.... I think you’re driven by other things, one being your feelings of entitlement towards Bueckers and the other being your UConn-bred hatred towards Ivey. I love Whalen. I’m just more realistic about a coach with zero experience. Near term success relies heavily on signing Bueckers.

LOL. Whalen and Ivey have won exactly the same number of games as a head coach.

How many games at any level of coaching? That’s very different. That was my chief concern, and it’s very valid. Ivey comes from from a very elite program that’s hot right now. Both women are of high character. That didn’t concern me, but the lack of experience was a big concern. She’s been leaning heavily on her assistants.

Whalen was the best choice for Minnesota. The fact that you can't see that makes me question your judgement.

Maybe you can expand why she’s the best choice instead of making a rah rah statement that will appeal to board members and make them forget you’re infiltrating with not such innocent intentions.
I’m all on board with Whalen. The decision has been made. I just pointed out that Bueckers does indeed have respect for Ivey, and that breaks the internet? It’s best to be aware of everything and not live in denial.

Fell naturally on your timeline? That's the best stalker excuse I have ever heard. The best ever.

What are you talking about? You’re stalking me. You’re getting carried away with your personal shots. Several board violations by now.

Says the person who has been saying the same thing to fans here.

No, your UConn feelings of entitlement say she won’t be coming here. I strongly want her to be here. So strongly so that I was worried that maybe Whalen wasn’t the best choice with zero coaching experience. I’m still very hopeful that Bueckers stays in Minnesota. But I’m not the stick the head in the sand type.

Remember, you want Niele Ivey on the gopher bench.

Yeah, your hatred of Ivey seems to be driving you. What’s wrong with Ivey? I believe she won the poll we ran. I’m not alone. Ivey is not a disease. I’m sure she’ll make a great head coach some day.

Hopefully Minnesota will do that one day. That would be good for the game and would also mean Whalen is having success as a head coach. It would also prove you wrong which would be an added bonus.

Oh, proving me wrong is driving you now. You seem very familiar with me. I’m not worried about what a random seemingly obsessed stranger thinks of me.

Just a reminder: If you want not to have to see someone’s repetitive and pointless posts, go to their profile and hit “ignore.”

Shades, WBBfN56,

Please truncate your thread to the last point so that we don't have to go through the long narratives already covered over and over again. No need to resorting to putting you on the ignore list.

Last edited:

ESPN Hoopgurlz has done the update to rankings. No kids from MN made top 100 of 2019. Nor did any of the 3 gopher recruits. However 2020, Paige has been bumped up to the #1 recruit according to them. No other MN kid is mentioned in class of 2020. looking through all the rankings, only only MN kid listed is Maya Nnaji is class of 2022.

Here is an article from ESPNW on the updated rankings

Haley Jones, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd installed as top women's basketball prospects
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...prospects-espnw-hoopgurlz-recruiting-rankings

They won gold together over the summer; now Haley Jones, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are all No. 1.

Bueckers, an undeclared 5-foot-10 point guard in the 2020 class, started all seven games in Belarus alongside Jones. She averaged 9.7 points, 4.7 assists and 3.6 rebounds. Her assist-to-turnover ratio of 4.13 was the best in the tournament. That seven-game statement followed a sophomore season at Hopkins (Minnetonka, Minnesota) in which she averaged 22.3 points, 6.8 assists and 5.9 rebounds and was named the Minnesota Gatorade player of the year.

Added height and strength have propelled Bueckers to the top of her class. She has superb court vision, swagger and poise. She's a playmaker who puts up numbers on both ends of the floor.

Paige Bueckers Stays Humble Even as a National Champion and Youth Olympian

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/10/paige-bueckers-feature.aspx

Bueckers credits her parents, Amy Dettbarn and Bob Bueckers, not only for getting her started down this path way back when she was 5, but also for keeping her grounded and focused on improvement and meeting new goals while never allowing her ego to get too big.

“If I don’t stay humble and I don’t keep getting better, then it’s just something that happened in the past,” said Bueckers, who lives in the Minneapolis suburb of Eden Prairie. “I want it to keep happening. So, they keep me humble and keep me on my toes. They’ve helped me a lot.”

I know the perfect way to stay humble after high school: Stay in Minnesota. :cool:

“I don’t consider myself just a point guard,” said Bueckers, who also won a FIBA Americas U16 title in 2017. “The label kind of puts me to where I can only be a point guard. I would consider myself more of a combo guard where I play both, just not strictly the point guard spot.”

“I don’t know what they feed these girls in these other countries, but they’re big,” Bueckers said. “A lot bigger than I am.”

It’s that kind of confidence and ability to not take herself too seriously that has brought Bueckers this far.

The perfect way not to take yourself too seriously would be to stay in Minnesota.:eek:

She is hoping somewhere down the line to eventually work her way into a position on the USA Women’s National Team and a chance to play for an Olympic gold medal.

Oh boy.... I hope she doesn’t realize who is the godfather of women’s USAB. :confused: It would be more meaningful to take the humble route there.

DB836-B0-F-F3-AB-4105-B244-AA3-A7-A262-D3-F.jpg

Bueckers and Sam Brunelle (ND commit) hanging out in Argentina.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Ok, and if you look at more interactions under the original tweet Wolfson goes on to say that he neither watches women's college basketball that closely nor could he, without looking it up, name a Current player on the UConn roster. How relatable of a source is he if that's the case. Sounds like he hears Notre Dame and UConn and decided its over without doing any research.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like he hears Notre Dame and UConn and decided its over without doing any research.

He went from saying “Whalen gives MN a (better) chance (than they had with Stollings)” to easily be persuaded to be more pessimistic by Klinkhammer to an only 0.3% chance to eventually get worked down to absolutely no chance.

Well, as we all know, Doogie is a women's basketball wonk, and if he says Bueckers should go elsewhere, I'm sure she's listening. (sarcasm) I understand why an elite player would want to play with an elite program, but I also think that a player like Bueckers could put the Gophers well on their way to being an elite program...and there's something to be said for helping your home state program gain national prominence. Whalen is living testament to that with both the Lynx and the Gophers.

per Shama:

Paige Bueckers, the junior point guard at Hopkins, excelled last season for the Royals and in AAU competition during the summer. Among girls, she might be the best young teenage point guard in the world. Legendary Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma is all-in on recruiting her.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Well, you don’t have to play at UConn or for Muffet McGraw at South Bend to either enjoy the game or be seen!! You just have to play for the coach you are comfortable playing for and play with the girls you enjoy playing with!!

per Shama:

Paige Bueckers, the junior point guard at Hopkins, excelled last season for the Royals and in AAU competition during the summer. Among girls, she might be the best young teenage point guard in the world. Legendary Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma is all-in on recruiting her.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Geno has made visits. Does that mean he’s more all-in than anybody else?

Doggie agrees that she should go elsewhere? LOL! I don't agree with that. But I do agree that Doggie should go someplace else for his career.

While there is always the very slight chance that the nostalgia factor will keep her in Minnesota, it would be suicide for her potential WNBA career. She needs to play at one of the top schools where she is going to face top competition in a consistent basis. Period.

Top Bottom