All Things Paige Bueckers Recruitment Thread - Videos, Analysis, Tid-Bits, Articles

It takes a lot of guts for a kid to dare to turn down very tempting college destinations and stay home to help build the local basketball program to national prominence.

You can go for a sure thing and follow the crowd of players to elite schools where national championship appearances are more certain.

Or you can stay home and dare to bring home Big Ten Championships and hopefully a National Championship.

Which one would be more fulfilling?

The WNBA beckons her no matter where she goes to college. Washington Mystics Elena Delle Donne stayed home to play college at Delaware and was the No. 2 pick overall in the 2013 WNBA Draft.

Last edited:

http://www.startribune.com/all-eyes-on-friday-s-hopkins-wayzata-girls-basketball-game/505150732/

Taking a broad perspective, the girls’ basketball game between the top two teams in Class 4A, No. 1 Hopkins and No. 2 Wayzata on Friday is simply one of 26 games on the schedule.

But what fun is that?

Let’s call it what it is: The biggest and most highly anticipated matchup of the girls’ basketball season to date.

To wit: Both teams are undefeated with 18-0 records. Both are led by high-level upperclassmen: Paige Bueckers and Dlayla Chakolis of Hopkins, Mimi Schrader and Kallie Theisen of Wayzata. Both have rosters chock full of young talent. Hopkins has two freshmen, Maya Nnaji and Amaya Battle, who have already been offered scholarships from the University of Minnesota. Wayzata's leading scorer, sophomore Jenna Johnson, has been one of the season’s breakout stars.

Anyone at the big game tonight?

http://www.startribune.com/all-eyes-on-friday-s-hopkins-wayzata-girls-basketball-game/505150732/

Taking a broad perspective, the girls’ basketball game between the top two teams in Class 4A, No. 1 Hopkins and No. 2 Wayzata on Friday is simply one of 26 games on the schedule.

But what fun is that?

Let’s call it what it is: The biggest and most highly anticipated matchup of the girls’ basketball season to date.

To wit: Both teams are undefeated with 18-0 records. Both are led by high-level upperclassmen: Paige Bueckers and Dlayla Chakolis of Hopkins, Mimi Schrader and Kallie Theisen of Wayzata. Both have rosters chock full of young talent. Hopkins has two freshmen, Maya Nnaji and Amaya Battle, who have already been offered scholarships from the University of Minnesota. Wayzata's leading scorer, sophomore Jenna Johnson, has been one of the season’s breakout stars.

Wish I could go, this game between Wayzata and Hopkins is going to be a classic contest of great players. I am stuck at work on Friday night (yuck).

Oh, sorry. I picked it up off a newspaper wire which had it incorrect. Interesting to note that there's not much difference between the #1 and #2 teams. Anyone know if Whalen or any of her staff was in attendance? Or any other renowned DI coaches?

Oh, sorry. I picked it up off a newspaper wire which had it incorrect. Interesting to note that there's not much difference between the #1 and #2 teams. Anyone know if Whalen or any of her staff was in attendance? Or any other renowned DI coaches?

Whalen was there.

And, remember, there are NCAA rules as to how many times a staff may watch a possible recruit. So, they aren't going to be there all the time.

Whalenfan is an insider divulging stuff? What’s the scoop on Hubbard?
I get the vibe she’s ready to go, but they want to hold her back for a redshirt.

Whalenfan is an insider divulging stuff? What’s the scoop on Hubbard?
I get the vibe she’s ready to go, but they want to hold her back for a redshirt.

Definitely not an insider but i was at the hopkins game and saw Whalen and i got friends in Bismarck that told me Carly was there. Pretty common on off nights for the staff to spread out and get to as many games as they can.

Last edited:

Definitely not an insider but i was at the hopkins game and saw Whalen and i got friends in Bismarck that told me Carly was there. Pretty common on off nights for the staff to spread out and get to as many games as they can.

There were several players in that game who have been offered by the Gophers so Whalen got her money's worth. Bueckers, Amaya Battle, Maya Nnaji, Jenna Johnson, Mara Braun, Annika Stewart. Hopkins 8th grader Taylor Woodson will no doubt get an offer if she hasn't already.

There were several players in that game who have been offered by the Gophers so Whalen got her money's worth. Bueckers, Amaya Battle, Maya Nnaji, Jenna Johnson, Mara Braun, Annika Stewart. Hopkins 8th grader Taylor Woodson will no doubt get an offer if she hasn't already.

Just curious what other schools are going after Stewart? She can really shoot the rock for a post.

Frankly this offer was a huge surprise to many people. She's big and, as you say, can really shoot it but shows no inclination to bang inside and had trouble keeping up with the pace of her North Tartan teammates last summer.

Frankly this offer was a huge surprise to many people. She's big and, as you say, can really shoot it but shows no inclination to bang inside and had trouble keeping up with the pace of her North Tartan teammates last summer.

Sounds similar to a Byrne.

Which conference is has the best overall teams (as in plural)? Big Ten? Big Twelve? ACC? other?

Pac 12 this year as was mentioned in an earlier reply. State of Oregon is sorta rocking it right now.

My Big 12 is weak sauce this year compared to past years. Baylor (obviously), Texas and my Iowa State Cyclones are ranked but only WVU outside that even getting votes out of 10 league teams. Oklahoma has disappeared from the scene even though Sherri Cole is landing 5-stars. Big 10 isn't looking much better with only 4 of 16 ranked but I think the middling teams in the Big 10 are better than the middlings in the Big 12 this year. Down years for both leagues or maybe just a product of a more middling sort of parity.

http://www.startribune.com/hopkins-...ts-for-naismith-player-of-the-year/506421602/

Hopkins’ Paige Bueckers was named one of five finalists for the Naismith Girls High School Player of the Year by the Atlanta Tipoff Club.

The junior guard is averaging 24.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 4.8 steals per game this season. She scored a season-high 43 points Feb. 1 against Wayzata.

The other finalists are three seniors — guard Zia Cooke (Toledo, Ohio), guard Jordan Horston (Columbus, Ohio) and wing Haley Jones (Santa Cruz, Calif.) —and sophomore guard Azzi Fudd (Washington, D.C.).

The award will be presented March 15.

If Bueckers has a 3.78 GPA, why wouldn’t she go to Stanford, where she can get the best education and join the recruiting wave happening down there with Haley Jones and Fran Belibi.

https://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/1003338
The Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year for the second consecutive year has played in three straight Class 4A state championship games. Each time the Royals finished with the runner-up trophy.

“There isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t think about it,” said Bueckers, who gets another shot to end that streak when the Royals begin state tournament play Wednesday. “I’m using that as motivation.”

Bueckers becomes the sixth player to win the honor back-to-back years. She became the first sophomore to earn the honor a year ago.

Bueckers is one of the five finalists for the Naismith High School Girls Player of the Year. The award will be announced Friday by the Atlanta Tipoff Club. She is the lone junior in the group.

“To be in that group with four of my Team USA teammates is amazing,” said Bueckers, a member of the 2018 USA women’s under-17 World Cup Team last summer that won the gold medal in Minsk, Belarus. “It’s a huge honor.”

per Shama:

Hopkins girls basketball coach Brian Cosgriff on junior point guard Paige Bueckers’ as yet unannounced potential college choice: “I think she has something in mind.”

Bueckers is among the elite young talents in the girls basketball world and is a finalist for the Gatorade National Player of the Year. Her 29-0 Hopkins team plays its opening game in the state tournament tomorrow against Lakeville North at Williams Arena.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

It sure would turn this program in the right direction if Paige chooses to stay home. She could be this generations Lindsay Whalen. ;)

per Shama:

Bueckers wants to win for herself, teammates and “really bad” for Cosgriff who not only put a talented and balanced team on the floor yesterday but one that executed assignments while performing with focus and determination. “We want it for each other,” Bueckers said. “That’s the thing about this team. We’re so close. We’ve gone through ups and downs with each other but at the end of the day we stuck as one—so we want it so bad.”

Bueckers has already played on three USA basketball teams that have won gold medals. A state title this year and next would close out an almost fantasy prep career of team and individual recognition. Along the way Connecticut, Notre Dame, Minnesota or some other college will win the Bueckers recruitment process with a commitment. A verbal commitment, she said, could certainly come before starting her senior year at Hopkins.

The Gophers under new head coach Lindsay Whalen have talked to Bueckers about becoming a “hometown hero” by choosing Minnesota. Bueckers smiled at the mention of being a transformational player for the Gophers, but she didn’t give away any secrets as to who she favors among college choices. No, because right now she is focused on how she can help the Royals go a perfect 32-0 and snap that state title slump.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

It sure would turn this program in the right direction if Paige chooses to stay home. She could be this generations Lindsay Whalen. ;)
She Bueckers would for sure be this generations Whalen for sure. It would transformative for all of Minnesota if we got the privledge to see her st y home. Young girls and boys wearing her Minnesota jersey, and a packed to the rafters Barn. I think we could even fill the barnyard student section. We can all dream right? Would be pretty dang fun to see one of Minnesota's best help the Gophers hang a few banners including a Big 10 crown and possibly the big ring.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Would being the next Whalen while playing for Whalen be too much expectation for Paige to want to come here when she could just be her amazing self at ND or UCon?

She seems like the type to attack a challenge.

Plus, you know the Gophers would be ESPN darlings with her and Lindsay.

Semantics but yes she plays more like a Taursari than Whalen as a pure shooter. Whalen beat Taursari head to head a lot in the pros. She Bueckers is a much better pure shooter than coach Whalen was. The only reason I make the transformative comparison to Whalen is everyone across Minnesota is going to want to come see Bueckers play in the barn. That place was a special place, the barn is really special and rocking like no other atmosphere in Womens college sports (even Connecticut cannot match the way the barn is hopping with an amped up crowd). Whalen and McCarville and crew made it sing like Clems old basketball teams did. You could feel the floor shake against K State and UCLA. The barn is going to be packed to the rafters with parents and kids from Minnesota, just like it was in the Whalen era. She is worthy of the buzz and high praise of a star player people are going to want to see play. It's not hype and she has nothing to be nervous when your play backs up the buzz. She will be great wherever she goes, but I want to point to a simple fact. People still wear Whalens jersey to this day because she changed the landscape of what a female athlete can do in Minnesota with both the Gophers and the Lynx. Coach Whalen is ready to pass that torch. Whalens staff is going to build a national powerhouse, I have little doubt about that. You can be just another star, or a potential legend. Takes serious stones to want to be the best, and the competitive arrogance to be better than a legend. There is only one coach that can mold that and stoke that fire, and it is a famous female athlete that can relate to high expectations. You could see how much better they got after starting 2 and 7 in Big 10, the staff and how they game planned and communicated during games. They have some real sharks on this staff and they are just getting started.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom