All Things Paige Bueckers Recruitment Thread - Videos, Analysis, Tid-Bits, Articles

yM3YkJt.jpg

Attachments

• italyvsusau17.jpg
    italyvsusau17.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 10

Live vs Spain!

<iframe width="630" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rp8hTXVFsBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Shades! It seems like there is so many stoppages in FIBA.

Why do I always have to be right? :(

54786_ABA_F3_D5_4494_BCAC_C7120_D60309_C.jpg

Attachments

• 54786_ABA_F3_D5_4494_BCAC_C7120_D60309_C.jpg
    54786_ABA_F3_D5_4494_BCAC_C7120_D60309_C.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 8

Yeah, Shades, you were right when you said that the idea of Whalen becoming head coach at the U was a pipe dream.

Pipe dream was your phrase to describe Bueckers staying at Minnesota. Sorry if I used it against you with Whalen. Whalen is a way bigger gamble than Ivey would have been, so it was hard for me to believe the U was willing to take that gamble if Ivey was available. Do we really have to rehash all that at this point?

What I was clearly right about is Bueckers really liking and respecting Ivey. The tweeting’s on the wall.

Pipe dream...
What I was clearly right about is Bueckers really liking and respecting Ivey. The tweeting’s on the wall.

It's all about timing and trust relationship building. Whalen will have her day under the sun with recruiting talent at the elite level.

It may not come with Bueckers, but I am certain it will.

We have to be patient. Coach McGraw at Notre Dame is getting all the attention from recruits now. But, it took fourteen years to get her first national championship. Auriema ten years at Connecticut. Summit thirteen years at Tennessee. I really do believe that Whalen can become a great coach someday.

you should look at paige's likes again. if you did you would see she also likes a lot of Carly Thibault-Dudonis's tweets as well as Whalen's tweets. to judge where a kid is going based on what tweets they like seems a bit off. Once again, while I would be THRILLED if the gophers could get paige, in no way should whalen be judged on coach based on missing one kid. she at least has the interest from paige where as stollings had ZERO.

Pipe dream was your phrase to describe Bueckers staying at Minnesota. Sorry if I used it against you with Whalen. Whalen is a way bigger gamble than Ivey would have been, so it was hard for me to believe the U was willing to take that gamble if Ivey was available. Do we really have to rehash all that at this point?

Again, Stollings is a low bar for comparison. It’s not Stollings vs Whalen for me. I’m sure Whalen may be fine if you are content to wait 15 years for results. I was hoping for an immediate impact effect that would only happen with the acquisition of Bueckers.

If you’re finding similar Bueckers tweet activity for Whalen, that’s surely worthy of sharing. Let’s not just talk about it. Post it.

You clearly do enough "research" to see that she likes Notre Dame/Ivey tweets, so you should of seen her liking gopher coaches tweets. Not that hard to go on twitter, search for Bueckers and go to her likes.

Again, Stollings is a low bar for comparison. It’s not Stollings vs Whalen for me. I’m sure Whalen may be fine if you are content to wait 15 years for results. I was hoping for an immediate impact effect that would only happen with the acquisition of Bueckers.

If you’re finding similar Bueckers tweet activity for Whalen, that’s surely worthy of sharing. Let’s not just talk about it. Post it.

why wouldn't a school pick whalen if Ivey is available? A. Whalen came with high recommendations from Geno and Cheryl Reeve. Ivey comes with the risk of leaving if has success, Whalen will stay as long as the school will have her. once again, stop putting all eggs in the Bueckers basket, they can have an immediate impact even if they don't get bueckers.

Do we really think a player of Bueckers quality would choose a college because of the assistant coach? Seems like Shades is intimating that Bueckers would be likely to play for the Gophers if Ivey was the coach. I'm not buying that thought. And, do I recall correctly, that Ivey interviewed for the Gopher position this last time around? If so, this must mean that she would be willing to leave Notre Dame for the right head coaching job. If this is the case, then I'm not sure Beuckers can count on four years with Ivey at ND. And, although I like Ivey as a head coach for someone, it's only fair to point out that she, like Whalen, hasn't been a head coach at this level. Also, as bball pointed out, there's a much better chance of Ivey using the Gophers as a steppingstone to success than there is of Whalen doing that. Bueckers would/will be a "great get" for the Gophers, but it's my opinion that Whalen will be very successful with or without Bueckers...and I don't think it will take 15 years.

Do we really think a player of Bueckers quality would choose a college because of the assistant coach? Seems like Shades is intimating that Bueckers would be likely to play for the Gophers if Ivey was the coach. I'm not buying that thought. And, do I recall correctly, that Ivey interviewed for the Gopher position this last time around? If so, this must mean that she would be willing to leave Notre Dame for the right head coaching job. If this is the case, then I'm not sure Beuckers can count on four years with Ivey at ND. And, although I like Ivey as a head coach for someone, it's only fair to point out that she, like Whalen, hasn't been a head coach at this level. Also, as bball pointed out, there's a much better chance of Ivey using the Gophers as a steppingstone to success than there is of Whalen doing that. Bueckers would/will be a "great get" for the Gophers, but it's my opinion that Whalen will be very successful with or without Bueckers...and I don't think it will take 15 years.

I don't think so either. Kim Mulkey at Baylor did it in five years.

You clearly do enough "research" to see that she likes Notre Dame/Ivey tweets, so you should of seen her liking gopher coaches tweets. Not that hard to go on twitter, search for Bueckers and go to her likes.

I don’t do any research at all. All the ND-related tweets I supplied here fell naturally onto my timeline. So if there’s indeed tweets that suggest Bueckers has as heavy an interest in the U of M, somebody should be supplying those tweets. Get us excited!

why wouldn't a school pick whalen if Ivey is available? A. Whalen came with high recommendations from Geno and Cheryl Reeve.

Well Geno is in competition for Bueckers. Figure that one out.
I’m sure Reeve is not biased at all. We’ll have her as a scapegoat if the Whalen experiment fails.

Ivey comes with the risk of leaving if has success, Whalen will stay as long as the school will have her.

I don’t think worrying about a coach being too successful is a great strategy for team success. And to suggest that Whalen couldn’t be swayed by an unlikely larger contract offer seems a bit naive.

once again, stop putting all eggs in the Bueckers basket, they can have an immediate impact even if they don't get bueckers.

Well that’s my choice. Nationally top rated Minnesota recruits only come around once a never, so I’m especially enthusiastic about this one. Am I really the only one, or am I the only vocal one?
I’m not smelling a Sweet 16 team without Bueckers anytime soon. Sorry for having such a bold opinion.

Do we really think a player of Bueckers quality would choose a college because of the assistant coach? Seems like Shades is intimating that Bueckers would be likely to play for the Gophers if Ivey was the coach.

I’ve been saying that all along. Ivey gives incredible coaching credentials (actual championship experience) plus the advantage of staying home at Minnesota.

And, do I recall correctly, that Ivey interviewed for the Gopher position this last time around? If so, this must mean that she would be willing to leave Notre Dame for the right head coaching job. If this is the case, then I'm not sure Beuckers can count on four years with Ivey at ND.

I’m not saying Ivey is the only reason she likes ND. Obviously there’s McGraw and the whole championship mystique and now one her best basketball friends is going there. But as I said before and now you’re making me rehash, getting Ivey would take some shine off ND and make MN look better to the serious prospects like Bueckers.

And, although I like Ivey as a head coach for someone, it's only fair to point out that she, like Whalen, hasn't been a head coach at this level.

Are you serious? You’re saying an experienced championship level assistant who is long overdue as a head coach has no advantage over someone who has zero coaching experience? This is not credible.

Also, as bball pointed out, there's a much better chance of Ivey using the Gophers as a steppingstone to success than there is of Whalen doing that.

I remember pointing out Stollings was a stepping stone risk, because she had already had a propensity to do so, but nobody was listening. Ivey has been very loyal to ND, but she is long overdue for a head coaching position. If she was favoring MN for some reason, I’m afraid we may have been looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Bueckers would/will be a "great get" for the Gophers, but it's my opinion that Whalen will be very successful with or without Bueckers...and I don't think it will take 15 years.

Well it was hungan1 who was saying it took Geno and McGraw years and years to reach their success, so why would Whalen’s road be even shorter even without the best recruits? I know.... she’s Whalen.

It is purely a good speculation. We all know how tough it is to recruit from MN. But, if there is someone post Brenda Frese with infectious determination, it is Whalen.

Bueckers isn't going to pick a college because of Niele Ivey. She just isn't. She's going to pick a college based on her relationship with the head coach and what that coach and school can do for her goals which are winning championships, becoming an AA and ultimately playing in the pros and on the USA WNT. I do think it matters to Bueckers who her teammates are and will be, but there will be enough of those players at ND and UConn that the friends factor won't be much of an issue. Brunelle's presence at ND may be a factor but it won't be the deciding factor on where Bueckers chooses to play. She isn't going to say "Gee, I'd like to play for Geno but because Sam is at ND I think I'll go there." After all, Brunelle's first choice was UConn but Geno and his staff decided to go in a different direction. Are we now to believe that Bueckers will pick ND while she would have picked UConn had Brunelle got her wish? That's silly.

Niele Ivey seems to be a pretty good recruiter and she's helped Muffet in that area. ND won the national championship in 2001 and Muffet seemed unable to capitalize on that championship and the ND mystique on the recruiting trail. Things changed when Ivey came on board. She's big on social media, likes to use lingo popular with the teens ("lit" "dope") and earns herself a lot of likes. Yet with all of ND's recruiting advantages they've still lost quite a few battles to Geno and UConn over the years. No one knows what kind of head coach Ivey will be. Muffet is brilliant with the Xs and Os but doesn't necessarily win over recruits with her personality. Ivey helps her there and Ivey helps sell the ND brand, but being the head coach is very different and Ivey is unproven.

I think Minnesota made the right choice by picking Whalen. She's from MN, she's an alum, she'll retire from the job if successful and she's a winner. Bueckers isn't going to play for UM and picking Ivey would not have changed that one bit. Plus, Ivey will succeed McGraw at ND whether she's still on the ND bench or is coaching at another school when Muffet retires. BTW, the thought that Geno gave Whalen a good recommendation because he's recruiting Bueckers makes zero sense. If it's all about Ivey -- which it isn't but just playing along -- then he's not going to get Bueckers in any event so why would that affect his recommendation on Whalen? Plus, Bueckers at ND is more of a threat to UConn than Bueckers at UM. He thinks the world of Whalen from his USA BB days and gave his opinion when asked.

Finally, I think it's folly to make recruiting predictions based on social media likes. Too many fans do that and end up being wrong most of the time. I just looked at Buecker's twitter likes and she liked a tweet from Carly Thibault. She also liked a very rare tweet from a UConn coach -- Jasmine Lister. The UConn asst coaches don't tweet often (Dailey not at all) so there just aren't tweets to like. How do we know what Bueckers is thinking about UConn if there aren't tweets to like?

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If Paige Bueckers picks the Gophers (quite a long shot at this point), I wonder if it will trigger a domino effect and she attracts other high end players to MN.

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/video/F6FZE1wd

Cool. She's already doing her own camps.

At age 16, Hopkins High School basketball phenom Paige Bueckers has already realized more success and experiences than most prep players can ever dream of achieving. Perhaps even more remarkable than her achievements on the court is the desire she has already developed about wanting to give back to her sport and help younger kids grow and become as passionate about basketball as she is. The 5-foot-11 going-to-be junior guard for the Hopkins Royals was in Brainerd Thursday and Friday, Aug. 23-24, putting on a “Buckets with Bueckers” clinic at the Brainerd Family YMCA for athletes in grades 2-9.

If Paige Bueckers picks the Gophers (quite a long shot at this point), I wonder if it will trigger a domino effect and she attracts other high end players to MN.

Its not as long of shot as everyone thinks and yes itll trigger more because Paige and Azzi fudd will very likely play together.

It is no longer a long shot. The Gophers are definitely in the game now.

I most certainly hope that the Gophers make it to the NCAA tournament this year, and that Whalen really can coach a college team. She is 0-0 in coaching. But, if the gut instincts of most people who followed her career are correct she'll be the one to bring the Gophers back into the Final Four.

It starts with being able to get national star recruits.

Top Bottom