Gophers spring game: Tanner Morgan ahead at quarterback; Tyler Johnson steps up

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

QUARTERBACK BATTLE

Redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan had complete control of the Maroon team, while the Gold team’s snaps went primarily to true freshman Zack Annexstad, with sophomore transfer Vic Viramontes playing sparingly. This reflected the pecking order that had been increasingly established during the brief practice sessions open to the media.

Morgan, who has a year-plus in Fleck’s system, went 18 for 28 for 272 yards and two touchdowns to receiver Tyler Johnson. Annexstad completed 11 of 18 passes for 186 yards and TD to Rodney Smith. Viramontes was 1 for 3 for a yard.

Viramontes was the most dynamic of the three quarterbacks running the ball. The dual-threat junior-college addition had six carries for 21 yards, including a 16-yard run. Morgan has eight carries for 24 yards, Annexstad had four for minus-8 yards.

But Viramontes fumbled twice, while Morgan gave it up three times. They lost one apiece.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...-ahead-at-quarterback-tyler-johnson-steps-up/

Go Gophers!!

I was hoping a Spring Game thread would float back up to the top because I just finally got around to watching it on my Tivo and was too lazy to go find a place to comment :)

Mainly wanted to say I'm pretty excited about Morgan -- he looks the part to me for sure. Anyone else agree? He was putting it into some tight windows in addition to the throws he made after buying time on the run. Besides the TD, I remember two throws in particular. The first was a dig route to Douglas at about 15 yds where the announcers thought Morgan was throwing it to another WR, but he clearly made the correct read once and hit Douglas in stride once the S turned his back to follow the seam. A bit later he hit a slant route in stride with a CB all over the WR...only a short gain, but it looked like an NFL play. Heck, even Annexstad looked FAR better in the pocket than either QB last year. On his long drive near the end of the game he was putting it exactly where it needed to be. Slants, skinny posts, roll outs...and he was getting it out on time. These young guys will no doubt have their struggles once the season starts, but I honestly think the future is pretty bright.

I don't remember last year's Spring game all that well, but this team as a whole seems much improved to me. Things looked pretty crisp and neither side or team was dominating. Especially exciting was that a bunch of young guys flashed at times (QB's, CAB, Ibrahim, Mafe, the S whose name escapes me). I'm optimistic this team will win 7 games and that the program is trending up.

Morgan looked unpolished last year. I am glad they red shirted him. He worked hard to get to where he is at in the Spring Game. But, I think Zack Annexstad is beyond my expectation being a walk-on. We've got two very promising QBs. They have a lot of getting up to speed in B1G play fast.

Let's hope Vic Viramontes gets up to speed. He is not used to the speed of B1G yet. He needs to relax a little bit and not put too much pressure on himself. I felt he is playing a little uptight of what I saw of him.

I feel much better than a year ago. But, let's not annoint any of these guys yet. They have not played a single B1G game yet.

MGGopher: ("...the S whose name escapes me") - You must be thinking of Calvin Swenson.
You may also want to read the Gopher Grid Iron Radio.4.18.18 Podcast thread: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?81913-Gopher-Gridiron-Radio-4-18-18-Podcast

Top Bottom