Marcus Fuller: U Hires Whalen

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-whalen-hired-by-gophers-as-women-s-basketball-coach/479556393/#1

After she met with Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle in his office earlier Thursday, Whalen strolled over to the new Athletes Village practice court to surprise players during an afternoon team meeting. "The reaction was pretty great," said team spokesman Karl Anderson.

Pam Borton:

"It's a shot in the arm for the program," said former Gophers coach Pam Borton, who coached Whalen from 2002-04. "It's a shot in the arm for the state of Minnesota and for college basketball."

"I think the coaching part is going to be the easiest thing for her," Borton said. "I think coaching and running a practice, what defensive systems to run, how to run a pregame shoot around is not going to be a problem.

"But she will need to put people around her to help her run a business. Coaching at that level is you're not just a basketball coach, you're running a business. It's budgeting. It's all of those business decisions. I know she'll surround herself with people who she trusts to help her with those things."

Rachel Banham:

Banham said Thursday she's jealous of players like All-Big Ten guard Kenisha Bell and freshman of the year Destiny Pitts, who get to be coached by a legend.

"I'm like in shock right now," Banham said Thursday. "I'm so excited. I was kind of sad when the coaching staff [under Stollings] decided to leave. I was like, I'm not going to know the next coaching staff and it's going to be really weird. Now, I'm friends with her."

Top Bottom