Five standouts from the Gophers 2018 Spring Game

Rodney and Tyler were great. Mafe and Swenson were fun to see step up. Tanner Morgan was fine for Tanner Morgan but he locks onto one receiver and he put the ball on the ground three times. He had the advantage of playing with Tyler and Douglas.

Zack played with less established people and was more impressive to me. Plus, say it's not important...his team won.

The QBs are young and a little rough, but there's a lot of talent on the offense, isn't there?

Zack Annexstad was the better QB out there imo... They both throw a spiral for the love of Football!!!

Zack Annexstad was the better QB out there imo... They both throw a spiral for the love of Football!!!

Ha! I knew sooner or later someone is going to administer the spiral test.

I know I'm putting myself out there but from watching last night, Annexstad and Morgan have potential to be best all around QB's I have ever watched play for the Gophers. I'm 40!

I know I'm putting myself out there but from watching last night, Annexstad and Morgan have potential to be best all around QB's I have ever watched play for the Gophers. I'm 40!

You're 40??

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Got a ways to catch Sauter, Cupito, Abdul-Khaliq (and dare I say Weber). I am assuming you were to young for Foggie).

Got a ways to catch Sauter, Cupito, Abdul-Khaliq (and dare I say Weber). I am assuming you were to young for Foggie).

Weber was in the house last night. He seemed to like some of the plays that Tanner made.

:rolleyes:

I hope Annexstad can redshirt this year. Obviously he is the second string so if he's needed, play him, but I think he has the best throws out of the lot and once he's got a year of the system under his belt he's gonna give however the 1st string is a run for their money.

I am far from the QB whisperer but I thought he looked great as well.

As far as Spring Games go, it was a good one. Very spirited, and the team seems light years ahead
of last year's spring game.

Morgan looked like a redshirt freshman with a year under his belt who can make a serious play
at being a starter. Annexstad looked VERY polished for a true freshman. They both have good
upside. Smith is a stud. Glad he didn;t get hurt. Johnson- same.

I thought there was a lot to take away from this. Going all-out actually was a risk, but it moved
the team forward,

Rodney and Tyler were great. Mafe and Swenson were fun to see step up. Tanner Morgan was fine for Tanner Morgan but he locks onto one receiver and he put the ball on the ground three times. He had the advantage of playing with Tyler and Douglas.

Zack played with less established people and was more impressive to me. Plus, say it's not important...his team won.

Rodney Smith is the second best receiver on the team after TJ. And he is the clear #1 RB. That might have had something to do with who won.

As far as Spring Games go, it was a good one. Very spirited, and the team seems light years ahead
of last year's spring game.

Morgan looked like a redshirt freshman with a year under his belt who can make a serious play
at being a starter. Annexstad looked VERY polished for a true freshman. They both have good
upside. Smith is a stud. Glad he didn;t get hurt. Johnson- same.

I thought there was a lot to take away from this. Going all-out actually was a risk, but it moved
the team forward,

Glen Mason commented a couple times how impressed with was with the discipline and to use your word, spirit of the spring game. Fleck really seems to have the Culture in place heading into season 2. Add another good recruiting class to this bunch and we will see the bar raised. Still interesting to see that Fleck wants to bring in two QB's with 2019 class.

PJ got it right in the way the game was played.
With so many question marks at many positions and with no established QB, it was good to see they went live even with the QB's. Having the teams divided up also gave them a good look at the depth players. It looked more like a game and people were getting after it.
Positives:
Smith and Johnson showed that they are the great players and carried their respective teams on offense when they were in the game.
Morgan and Annexstad had moments when they looked good and other moments when they looked like FR. Neither of them appeared to have really strong arms but were able to put the ball on the WR for the most part when given a chance.
DL was getting good pressure all game - OL struggled in pass protection at times and that can be attributed to the mixed teams and them not working together as a unit much or at least lets hope so.
Ibrahim looked good running with the maroon team. He made quick cuts and wasn't always looking for the big run(dancing in the hole) and instead just tried to get yards.
Was a cool way to announce the awarding of a scholarship to Sam R. Quite an achievement by him to graduate in 3 years. Well deserved.
T Rush for the Gold and T Devers on Maroon both had good games. Devers looks a whole lot bigger than when he first played.

Some negatives/Questions:
D. London hardly played at RB for the maroon team. Was he injured or is the writing on the wall that he's not a D1 player? Also didn't see much of JFC on the gold team either.
As Glen pointed out quite often in the broadcast, our corners were in off technique way too much. Both QB's had an easy time making throws to that side of the field all night.
The OL did an ok job in the run game but was not getting much push and or driving the D back. They did more of a shield and create a gap as opposed to driving the D off the ball.
Not sure why Vic didn't get more of a run with the gold team. I would have thought that they would rotate the two QB's every series or every other as it might have helped him get in a flow. He did look like he was trying to impress too much and wasn't playing relaxed.
Thought it was kind of crappy that they put Sam P. in at QB for 1 play then yanked him. He should have gotten a little time earlier in the game or maybe none at all.

If Bateman can play at the level of Tyler Johnson last year, which seems reasonable, and Seth Green can catch some balls at tight end, this might be the best receiving core in quite some time and most of the contributors have 3-4 years of eligibility left. Let's just stop the drops.

Top Bottom