Post Spring Game - Place your Bets - Who will be the starter vs New Mexico St?

Who will start the opener against NM St?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Who will be the starter in the opener now that we are past the spring game.

Place your bets (votes)

As much as I'm rooting for Vic, think Morgan will start. He's got the best handle on the offense, shown he can scramble well enough (though still needs to improve on recognizing when to scramble). Annexstad has the second best handle on it IMO, but the best arm. Morgan has the 2bd best arm. Vic is the best runner of the three, but his handle on the offense and passing needs to improve.

Obviously lots can change between now and then. While I want a QB that can be a serious run threat, I think we need a passer more at the moment.

Based on what I observed, Morgan is the farthest along in comfort with the offense. His scrambling ability can help extend plays. I don't think he has the arm strength to throw long passes.

Annexstad has a lot of poise and the best throwing arm of the three during the game. He goes through his reads well and has a good pocket presence and knows when to scramble.

Viramontes is the least comfortable. He looked like he is the best runner of the three. IMHO, he seems to be thinking too much, and he seems to be putting a lot of pressure on himself. He needs to overcome that and battle his way up.

I only made it there for the second half. Between these three, I expected that Morgan would look the best with a year experience learning the offense. I would have been worried if he didn't look the best.

What I saw of VV was a QB quick to just tuck it and run. He wasn't in enough to form any opinion beyond that for me.

It will be fun to see how much better they look in the Fall.

Morgan will start. VV maybe will be a guy that comes in for wildcat and/or some red zone situational stuff unless he develops in his reads more

No one voted yet. Maybe this poll should be repeated in the Fall after all three QBs get more practices and reps.

Me, personally I am still digesting the shock of seeing an actual pass/run offense with lots of promise. There will be many Gophers that are happy campers with a more dynamic offense.

True RPO is here to trump RUTM! :clap::clap::clap:

I think that Morgan will start vs. NM State. Will he be starting the 6th game of the year (injuries aside)? Time will tell. Go Gophers!

For the spring game I'm feeling much better about our QB situation than I did at last year's game. I thought Annexstad looked the best. Morgan was way too locked down on a single receiver, you knew where he was throwing right from the start of the play. I wish I could have seen VV take more snaps, and try more passes.

I sure hope that the coaches work with VV to help him ease in and relax and help him build up his confidence. We shall soon see how good the Gophers are at developing their QBs.

We need all three QBs. Remember what happened to Maryland last year?

The combo of these three can be potent given time and a good supporting cast on offense.

I am excited for the rest of the remaining 2018 Recruiting Class to show up this Fall.

There is a lot of fire power there. https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2018-Football/Commits

Give it a couple more recruiting classes.

VV has time.

I think he's putting enough pressure on himself. From his tweets, he seems to carry a lot of his shoulders.

He's probably drinking from a firehose right now.

For the spring game I'm feeling much better about our QB situation than I did at last year's game. I thought Annexstad looked the best. Morgan was way too locked down on a single receiver, you knew where he was throwing right from the start of the play. I wish I could have seen VV take more snaps, and try more passes.

Agree. From what I saw I thought Mr. Annexstad looked slightly better. I also saw Mr. Morgan stare down a few times. Much easier to tell that Zack was going through progressions and often looked at other receivers prior to throwing to his eventual target. Seemed harder for the Dbacks to break on the ball.

The concern I had with Mr. Viramontes was the fumbles. Yes I know that he wasn't the only one. I also couldn't tell if the real source wasn't the back as he was pulling it out and running. I trust that the fumble/ hand-off exchange will be cleaned up by fall.

It is good that VV is going through all the trials and tribulations right now. There are valuable teaching moments there that I am sure the coaches will capitalize on and get the QB & team to correct.

Morgan and Annexstad both had moments - but they both have a ways to go.

I suppose at this point, I would be the most comfortable with Morgan in the game, but the Gophers are going to need to provide a lot of support for all of the QB prospects. they cannot count on any of the candidates to carry the team. The RB's, WR's, and especially the O-Line need to play well to give the QB's a comfort zone.

And, the defense has to do its part. Especially early in the season, I really do not want to put any of the QB's in a situation where they have to try and pull off a big come-from behind effort.

Field position will also be important - which worries me after watching the punting game on Thursday.

This ^^^^^

I think Vicious Vick is being hidden. The beautiful locks weren't allowed to shine so that NMSU has no clue what they are getting themselves into. You all wait and see.

Morgan and Annexstad both had moments - but they both have a ways to go.

I suppose at this point, I would be the most comfortable with Morgan in the game, but the Gophers are going to need to provide a lot of support for all of the QB prospects. they cannot count on any of the candidates to carry the team. The RB's, WR's, and especially the O-Line need to play well to give the QB's a comfort zone.

And, the defense has to do its part. Especially early in the season, I really do not want to put any of the QB's in a situation where they have to try and pull off a big come-from behind effort.

Field position will also be important - which worries me after watching the punting game on Thursday.

Nice summary. I expected Morgan to look the best but also have to agree that he seemed to lock onto his first read, while Annexstad definitely went through his progressions. A lot of good or bad variables could have caused both...maybe Morgan read the defense perfectly pre-snap and knew his first option would be open..maybe Annexstad missed his pre-snap reads and had to go through the progressions.

I think Morgan right now. And I'm hoping that Zach can redshirt this year. But if Morgan gets hurt and Vic does have a handle on this, we will see Zach play and start.

Way to early to guess. Any of these 3 will be a quantum leap from last year. BTW, I was kind of a Rhoda fan (by comparison to the alternative).

Way to early to guess. Any of these 3 will be a quantum leap from last year. BTW, I was kind of a Rhoda fan (by comparison to the alternative).

You don’t say. Care to toss out any production predictions? I saw a lot of dangerous throws into double coverage, bad sacks, fumbles, and average arm strength and accuracy and this was versus the easiest defenses they will see this year.

All of them have a long ways to go and could easily struggle mightily as did new starters Rhoda and Croft. They will likely have better WR, TE, and OL around them this season which ups their chances to succeed.

I think Vicious Vick is being hidden. The beautiful locks weren't allowed to shine so that NMSU has no clue what they are getting themselves into. You all wait and see.

You have no idea how much I want you to be correct. Not sure PJ is that clever

Camera caught Vic messing with his flow like a 13 yr old teen girl and/or David Carr. Time to symbolically shave the head, turn the page and get serious. I think most of us would love it if he can get his passing game going to complement his deadly run game.

You don’t say. Care to toss out any production predictions? I saw a lot of dangerous throws into double coverage, bad sacks, fumbles, and average arm strength and accuracy and this was versus the easiest defenses they will see this year.

All of them have a long ways to go and could easily struggle mightily as did new starters Rhoda and Croft. They will likely have better WR, TE, and OL around them this season which ups their chances to succeed.

Agree. I did not see anything at the game from the QB's that was much different than last year's game. Promise but a long way to go. Not seeing VV throw a pass was a little puzzling. If he ends up #3, wonder if they red shirt or maybe get him on the field elsewhere...H-back maybe?

Agree. I did not see anything at the game from the QB's that was much different than last year's game. Promise but a long way to go. Not seeing VV throw a pass was a little puzzling. If he ends up #3, wonder if they red shirt or maybe get him on the field elsewhere...H-back maybe?

Viramontes attempted 3 passes. He also already redshirted at Cal. If Annexstad doesn't win the starting job, it's still likely VV will be the backup and they'll redshirt Annexstad.

Viramontes attempted 3 passes. He also already redshirted at Cal. If Annexstad doesn't win the starting job, it's still likely VV will be the backup and they'll redshirt Annexstad.
Annexstad looked the most promising. I imagine PJ will sacrifice more losses to give his most promising freshmen a year to absorb the play book and culture. I can see Annexstad redshirting while Morgan and Viramontes muddle up the QB position for the second year in a row.

Annexstad looked the most promising. I imagine PJ will sacrifice more losses to give his most promising freshmen a year to absorb the play book and culture. I can see Annexstad redshirting while Morgan and Viramontes muddle up the QB position for the second year in a row.

Annexstad may have more long term upside, but I still thought Morgan was the best QB on Thursday night. I don't see how starting the best QB equates to more losses.

Annexstad may have more long term upside, but I still thought Morgan was the best QB on Thursday night. I don't see how starting the best QB equates to more losses.
Morgan stared down his chosen receiver and threw. He won't be able to do that in a game. He also fumbled twice as he got hit because he held the ball too long.
Yes he looked better than Viramontes and perhaps Annexstad, but he wasn't stellar by any means.

Annexstad #oneofus

This debate is disturbingly similar to last season where we all had our favorites going into the season and then into Big Ten play. When the wheels come off during the season it'll be interesting around here.

He looked better than Morgan did last year at the spring game.

I only was there for the second half. If he attempted one then, I missed it.

Unless the oline is really good,I still think Vic will start by B1G play.

Top Bottom