Post Spring Game - Place your Bets - Who will be the starter vs New Mexico St?

Who will start the opener against NM St?

• Total voters
I’m going with Annexstad, and here’s why:

I think he is at least as good as Morgan and starting the year with a walk-on freshmen QB is the kind of hype that Fleck can’t ignore. He won’t do any worse than the other two and will get the gophers some national attention.

I love a guy with the name Victor, he will never see the field as a QB for the gophers.

Vic will transfer and Zack will beat out Tanner for the starting job.

I am a bit reluctant to describe the situation as "beating him out for the job" because I just think that's a topic that could trigger debate.

Here is what I think will happen:
Zack will start.
His brother will get a scholarship, in some PJ-type-tattoo ceremony.
The IMG offensive coordinator will rip on the previous staff in a bizarre tweet.
It'll rain in Minneapolis on 8/24.

Last edited:

I’m going with Annexstad, and here’s why:

I think he is at least as good as Morgan and starting the year with a walk-on freshmen QB is the kind of hype that Fleck can’t ignore. He won’t do any worse than the other two and will get the gophers some national attention.

I love a guy with the name Victor, he will never see the field as a QB for the gophers.

Really? Just don't see the Gophers as being so solid at QB that he will never see the field.

I just watched the game. I think ZA looked sharper than TM. I'd guess TM starts based on other reports Ive heard throughout spring practice tho.

Vic was either hurt, can't pass, or wasn't allowed to pass. None of those things are good. He is also either hurt or #3 now based on the PT he was given in the spring game. He would have been my guess prior to the Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My money is on TM2 but I won't be suprised if Vv7 takes the reigns at some point if he really struggles. PJ can't afford to miss a bowl for a second year in a row. Really just a crapshoot until we see them play. The lack of praise and the pecking order of the spring game says a lot about where things are at the moment. VV7 being motivated to get better fast (in one or all of the 4 phases, who knows).

I just watched the game. I think ZA looked sharper than TM. I'd guess TM starts based on other reports Ive heard throughout spring practice tho.

Vic was either hurt, can't pass, or wasn't allowed to pass. None of those things are good. He is also either hurt or #3 now based on the PT he was given in the spring game. He would have been my guess prior to the Spring.

Annexstad looks decisive and cool as a cucumber. .... not sure it is still there on gameday, but at least in practice and such PJ's report that nothing phases him seems about right.

Is anyone else concerned that Viramontes and Morgan each fumbled twice? I'm an Annexstad guy.

I thought Vic fumbled three times, but then I read on Gopherhole that each fumbled twice. I don't dispute Gopherhole facts.

They all had fumblitis like the original DC11, Daunte Culpepper. Could it be small hands?

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/1155968404/r1WF6V0Pl_default/index.html?videoId=4785422144001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Morgan threw at about a 65% completion rate. He showed the ability to climb the pocket and escape. Not to run but to keep his eyes down field and his shoulders parrallel to the line. He threw with touch and he also showed throwing to the correct shoulder of the receiver to allow him to run after the catch. He showed more poise, control, and command.

Morgan threw at about a 65% completion rate. He showed the ability to climb the pocket and escape. Not to run but to keep his eyes down field and his shoulders parrallel to the line. He threw with touch and he also showed throwing to the correct shoulder of the receiver to allow him to run after the catch. He showed more poise, control, and command.

He also basically locked in on the receiver...that will need to change. I thought Annexstad actually looked the best moving in the pocket.

Annexstad impressed me the most, being a true freshman. Morgan has the advantage of a year in the system, and looked good. Both looked better as passers than anyone since the Mason era. Vic didn't get to pass much and seemed to be having a bad night overall. My guess is PJ starts Morgan, doesn't redshirt Annexstad.

I thought Annexstad looked great in the spring game. Just a couple months ago he was finishing up his high school season, and he looked calm and collected on that last drive. He delivers the ball with a lot of velocity, and looks to have good awareness in the pocket. All in all it was pretty impressive based on how long he has been with the team and his age. I know he will be on scholarship as soon as PJ can offer it to him, but turning down other high Div 1 scholarships to ensure others come to the U is a class act. Little things like that show character of a true leader.

I thought Morgan looked pretty good as well. He doesn't have the arm strength that Annexstad has, but I thought his ball placement was pretty good. As for Vic, it was puzzling that they didn't have him throwing much. Even if he isn't up to speed you would think they would give him a little freedom in the spring game. If he was nursing a injury and they didn't want to push it I could understand a little, but even if he goes 1-10 for 5 yards its a spring game and it doesn't really matter.

The fumbles aren't much of a concern to me right now. Its April, and there is a lot of time left till the start of the season.

Voted Morgan for now but I think VV could clearly win the job before the start of the season. Makes sense that Morgan would be the #1 at this point just because he has been in the program the longest. Lot can change over the summer and course of fall camp.

I'm going to just assume our improved pass rush was the cause of all those fumbles... because I don't want to think about the alternative facts.

I think Tanner Morgan will be our starting QB against New Mexico State.

As of today, I think Tanner Morgan will be the starter for game 1, and the entire season if all goes well. Vic Viramontes will be the backup because with Fleck's willingness to red shirt players, I can see him trying to get an extra year in the program for Zack Annexstad. If Morgan gets hurt, Annextad takes over, unless it's late in the season and there's no hope for a bowl game.

I was thinking this was worthy of a bump as we get closer now with Vic gone.

I don't know if we have any better guesses at this point between Morgan and Annexstad. I would guess you have to lean Morgan just from being here longer / not a walk on.

How good is walk-on RS freshman Sam Pickerign? It looks like this year's walk-on Jon Santaga will red shirt. We've only got four QBs which makes for an uncomfortable situation.

Vic Viramontes not working out well and transferring back to JC is a disappointment.

Will they keep Seth Green at TE? I think given the situation with Vic being gone they should keep him at QB. He is a red shirt sophomore after all. I don't know Fleck's and Ciarrocca's reasoning.

How good is walk-on RS freshman Sam Pickerign? It looks like this year's walk-on Jon Santaga will red shirt. We've only got four QBs which makes for an uncomfortable situation.

Vic Viramontes not working out well and transferring back to JC is a disappointment.

Will they keep Seth Green at TE? I think given the situation with Vic being gone they should keep him at QB. He is a red shirt sophomore after all. I don't know Fleck's and Ciarrocca's reasoning.

With as bad as the QB position was last year, Fleck wouldn’t even throw Green to the wolves when all hope was lost to give him a shot. That may have something to do with not moving him back.

I though PJ said he would keep Green at TE, but he would be the #3 QB too.

It's as though the Kill folks are still in charge.

I voted for two of the above three. How do you think I'll do?

Unless he gets hit by a meteorite between now and then, it'll be Tanner Morgan.

Just thought I would share that Las Vegas has the Gophers as 300 to 1 odds to win the national championship. How is it only 300 to 1 and in who in their sound mind would ever make that bet. Morgan is the guy, until it becomes Annexstad.

Just thought I would share that Las Vegas has the Gophers as 300 to 1 odds to win the national championship. How is it only 300 to 1 and in who in their sound mind would ever make that bet. Morgan is the guy, until it becomes Annexstad.
It's a nice pay day if you throw a hundred bucks down, heck even 20 bucks, and not that big of a loss.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Only 14% of you bozo's got this one right!

Whomever is still voting...PJ made a small announcement today.

Top Bottom