Assistant Coaches and Staff

Egad. That sort of coyness is the worst thing about message boards: "I know but I'm not telling." I guess we're talking about Jia Perkins?

Melissa Maines named Director of Ops today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melissa Maines named Director of Ops today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Maines lose her position when Stollings took over? Interesting sequence of events. Maines certainly has an abundance of experience in the Ops. role.

Did Maines lose her position when Stollings took over? Interesting sequence of events. Maines certainly has an abundance of experience in the Ops. role.

Even more interesting is her girlfriend was named as an assistant soccer coach today. Both are very qualified from what i can see.

So, we lost our coaching staff to TTU, and then we get their former Asst. Athletic Dir./DOBO. Quite a coincidence. I wonder if Stollings had anything to do with Melissa Maines going to MN. Maybe encourage her to apply for the job opening. Regardless, it IMHO it is a nice hire.

She was Lubbock born and bred and had two stints with TTU. I am surprised that she opted for MN. She brings a lot of experience to MN which will be a big plus for Whalen.

For Melissa, she is going to a great place to raise a family. The challenge is to get her family acclimated to MN weather and the "Bold North". I hope that she is here long term.

You know what I often hear time and time again. Families that move here due to transfers or job change find it tough at first to come here. Once they are here, they don't want to leave.

Welcome Melissa Maines!

https://texastech.com/coaches.aspx?rc=908&path=wbball

Looks like Lindsay has a staff that really knows their stuff. So, I’m happy about that. That should lend itself to a solid program!!!

Are they going to have a strength and conditioning coach? It is somewhat concerning this hasn't been nailed down on the website. Conditioning should be a priority too.

Would certainly expect that role to be officially filled. In the meantime, I would think that one of the strength coaches from another sport can keep the ladies working hard!

My understanding is they are not going to have a s&c coach. It will be integrated into existing athletics staff already performing many of those functions. Sounds like it will still be a priority, but as a staff responsibility, just not as an asst. coach position.

It would be highly unusual not to have a team specific S&C coach

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/sara_wiley_827898.html

I'm sure this was mentioned elsewhere. Sara Wiley is the strength and conditioning coach. Before Ralph, Sara was the women's basketball strength and conditioning coach.

She is the Director for Olympic sports so I'm assuming she'll have assistance. I'm not sure how Lindsay views strength and conditioning. Marlene obviously viewed it as an integral part of her playing style.

Sara Wiley joined the University of Minnesota staff in 1993. She is the strength and conditioning coach for the women's basketball team, softball, swimming, rowing and volleyball teams.

A member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), Wiley came to Minnesota from Wisconsin-La Crosse, where she earned her master's degree in human performance. Before arriving at La Crosse, Wiley earned a bachelor's degree in exercise science at Evansville and was a member of the Purple Aces softball team.

In July of 2008, Wiley was honored as the 2007-08 National Strength Coach of the Year by the NSCA. She is just the second woman in the 40-year history of the NSCA to win the award.

Seriously... I am sure Lindsay views strength and conditioning like every other coach in NCAA basketball and that would be very important. What Coach doesn’t? Lol

Seriously... I am sure Lindsay views strength and conditioning like every other coach in NCAA basketball and that would be very important. What Coach doesn’t? Lol

Importance isn't the question, focus is. Focus can differ-just the title "strength and conditioning" tells you that. Petrella did heart monitors and GPS. He was on the bench and actively involved during games. Stollings wouldn't have brought Petrella in at the start of her second season if she thought the position was focused to serve her system. Maybe the only change will be less tire flipping; but I doubt it.

http://wbasketball.coachesdirectory.com/article/what-is-your-training-philosophy-article.html

What is your training philosophy?

by Alan Stein - Professional Basketball Strength & Conditioning Coach

www.StrongerTeam.com

I asked a veteran trainer this the other day in casual conversation and he froze. He looked like I asked him the capital of Zimbabwe. He has been training for years and he didn't know (or at least he couldn't verbalize) his own training philosophy! Wow.

Whether you are a player or a coach, you should know the 'why' behind what you do in the weight room and on the court. The 'why' is your training philosophy.

Your training philosophy is the foundation of everything you do in strength & conditioning. Your philosophy should dictate every aspect of your program – every rep of every set every workout.

I see Kristin Zdanczewicz was added to Whalen's staff as Assistant Director of Athletic Performance. Her bio hasn't been added but she was an assistant strength coach for women's basketball at the University of Miami. She previously worked at Minnesota and competed with USA Rugby.

This is from her Miami Bio.

A native of Milwaukee, Zdanczewicz will work primarily with the women's basketball and swimming teams.

"Kristin has a proven background and commitment in developing athletes at an elite level," Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier said. "She will help our players become better on the court while providing them with knowledge and tools they can take into life after college. As a competitive athlete herself, Kristin brings high levels of energy and discipline that positively impact our entire program."

Zdanczewicz previously served as the assistant director of strength and conditioning at the University of Minnesota for three years. During her time with the Golden Gophers, she worked with the women's track and field, women's cross country and gymnastics teams.

At Minnesota, Zdanczewicz coached 11 All-Americans, six Olympic Trial athletes and five Big Ten event champions in track and field, as well as five All-Big Ten honorees in cross country and one Big Ten Gymnast of the Year. She also helped guide the Gophers to their first Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championship title in 2016.

Prior to her time at Minnesota, Zdanczewicz spent three years at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. While with the Panthers, she was in charge of strength and conditioning for men's and women's swimming and diving, women's soccer, women's volleyball and women's tennis.

Under her watch, the swimming and diving teams had 30 conference event champions and soccer had two Horizon League Player of the Year honorees. In addition, soccer and women's swimming and diving both won two conference titles, while volleyball won one.

Zdanczewicz played extensively for the USA Women's National Rugby Team, serving as captain in 2007 and 2008, as well as taking part in the 2006 and 2010 World Cups. Of her 17 years of competitive rugby, she spent 13 at the international level, earning 23 caps.

https://issuu.com/gophersports/docs/october_2017_ski_u_mah

Top Bottom