Spring Game Takeaways as Gold defeats Maroon, 24-20

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers held their annual Spring Game on Thursday as weather pushed the start time ahead two days. Team Gold took on Team Maroon as the Gophers simulated a live game in front of a crowd at TCF Bank Stadium. Quarterback Tanner Morgan led the way, completing 18 of his 28 passes for 272 yards and two touchdowns. Running back Rodney Smith added a pair of touchdowns, stealing the show in the first half. Through the air, Tyler Johnson showed off his improved route running, grabbing two touchdowns, including an acrobatic one-handed score. The Gold team defeated the Maroon squad 24-20 in this season’s first live scrimmage.

A Look at the Quarterbacks
Zack Annextad, the preferred walk-on looked confident and poised in his Gophers debut. He goes through his reads and understands when to move in the pocket. He escaped to find a wide-open Rodney Smith for a 56-yard touchdown on Team Gold’s first drive of the game. In the second half, he delivered a beautiful strike on a nine route to Chris Autman-Bell up the sideline for 21 yards. Annexstad finished the night 11-for-18 with 186 yards and a touchdown. These stats are also slightly misleading due to a high volume of drops by both teams in the game.

Redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan was flashing his ability to create and extend with his legs. This spring, he’s shown everyone this is his strength. Morgan can move outside the pocket and keep his eyes down the field. In some instances, he used his legs, while in others he felt pressure at his side and shifted to deliver a 15-yard strike to wide receiver Tyler Johnson. During a 5-play, 84-yard touchdown drive, he eluded pressure, keeping his eyes down the field and extending when necessary. He found wide receiver Tyler Johnson who made an acrobatic one-handed grab over cornerback Antonio Shenault for a 33-yard score. In the second half, Morgan found Johnson for another 23-yard score as Johnson ran an excellent route to cause confusion in the secondary. Johnson is showing off the efficiency in his route running. He set his route up perfectly, causing the defensive back to swivel and gained extensive separation at the break point to haul in his second touchdown grab.

The one area where Morgan struggles is when he’s asked to drive the ball deep toward the hashes. This is evident on corner routes into Cover-2. Sometimes the ball is delivered late or hangs in the air. Morgan doesn’t have great arm strength, but he makes the intermediate throws and can get the offense in a flow because of his pocket presence. He plays to his strengths when he is on the field, which is important. He led the Gophers on two very impressive scoring drives where he displayed command of the team and offense.

Vic Viramontes had just one first half drive, completing one of his three passes. He took a sack and likely would have been called for intentional grounding in a live game. Viramontes did have a 15-yard run off a designed run, but that was about it. In an early second half drive, Viramontes botched an exchange which led to a fumble. He didn’t see any playing time after the mistake. It’s clear there’s a learning curve for the JUCO transfer as he acclimates to his new school.

Putting the R and P in “RPO”

This year, the quarterbacks have the ability to tuck and run or pass, which opens more interior lanes for running backs to move freely. Linebackers have to ensure they honor the legs of the quarterback and this is particularly evident within the interior. The run-option looks already displayed more promise. This was the case on a 15-yard run by Rodney Smith early in the first quarter. Quarterback Zak Annexstad had an option over the middle and the defense respected his arm. Last year, the team either had a quarterback in the game that wasn’t a running threat or couldn’t deliver intermediate passes to take pressure off the box. Having a dual-faceted quarterback is very important and the Gophers didn’t have one last year. This was a theme throughout the night when Minnesota ran RPO looks.

Ibrahim turns some heads
Mohamed Ibrahim is shifty in space and has an ability to make defenders miss. He has very quick feet and excellent lateral agility. He finished with 104 yards on 19 carries. Ibrahim reads his blockers well and has a very impressive jump-cut. In the passing game, he displays reliable hands and an ability to create after the catch. He looks like he will be an all-purpose running back, which is necessary to complement Rodney Smith well. The freshman running back is in a competition to claim the second running back spot with Shannon Brooks out for the season with a leg injury.

Opportunistic defense and pass rush

The Gophers’ defense forced five turnovers. Of course, the offense doesn’t like this statistic, but P.J. Fleck has to be encouraged when he sees the defense playing opportunistic. Some of this was related to blatant offensive mistakes, but excellent plays were executed, too. Redshirt freshman Boye Mafe won with speed off the edge to create a strip-sack and added another when stunting inside. He is an interesting pass rusher with a unique blend of speed and power and should contribute this season.

Showing off the hand technique

Defensively, one area which stood out is hand technique of the defensive linemen. It has been an area of emphasis in practice this year. This is particularly evident when you watch the defensive ends attempt to shed off the edge. It was a major problem and led to long runs by opposing running backs last year. Many of the edge players demonstrated an ability to shed and shut down the edges. Carter Coughlin also was holding up well against the run, something he really struggled with last year. There were leaky patches among the edge players, but some of this was due to scheme. Overall, you see players fighting through blocks by using hand technique as the main source, which is a key fundamental aspect of playing on the defensive line. Tai’yon Devers had one notable rep in the second half that really illustrated the importance of this.

Keep your eyes peeled on the interior this year
Inside, there were a few reps where defensive tackle O.J. Smith played zero and one technique, drawing attention and forcing runs outside for limited gain. This is a position/player to watch closely when the Gophers enter the regular season. The Gophers need to win inside to create more favorable opportunities for their edge players and five-technique defensive ends. Both teams had a combined six sacks tonight, which is a trend the team hopes will continue this season. Last year, the pass rush was almost non-existent during certain stretches of the season.

Overall impressions
The Spring game showed us a small sample size of how certain players handle a play script. Tanner Morgan had excellent command of the team and the offense moved well with him at the helm. Zack Annexstad displayed similar upside, showing confidence and familiarity with the system. The Gophers have talent at the quarterback position, but will need to overcome inexperience. Finally, the defense was creating turnovers and the defensive line is showing growth despite inexperience. There’s plenty of work to be done, but the team does look like they are in a better position than last April.

Reaction:

First spring game in a long time where I liked the offense. Smith and Johnson are super stars. i like both freshman qb's and Ibrahim. Found it interesting the quarterbacks werent protected in the game! Two great td catches by Johnson!!

Going into the game the only thing I cared about was the QB play. It was refreshing to watch an offense that clicked. I was impressed with Morgan and Annexstad. It's both exciting and worrisome to have two freshmen go at it. It would have been nice to see Vic play a little more but all in all it looks like the offense has life which is something I couldn't say last year.

I’m sure Fleck is happy they decided to announce the Whalen hiring today right before his spring game.

Going into the game the only thing I cared about was the QB play. It was refreshing to watch an offense that clicked. I was impressed with Morgan and Annexstad. It's both exciting and worrisome to have two freshmen go at it. It would have been nice to see Vic play a little more but all in all it looks like the offense has life which is something I couldn't say last year.

This is about exactly how I feel. I know that Glen Mason knows more about football than me, but I still think that some of his comments were off base, especially about the quarterbacking. Go Gophers!

I was only able to see a few minutes of the 4th quarter. Didn't like the drops that I felt should have been caught somewhat easily. I'm hoping I saw the only bad stretch.

Both QBs passed well, a big change from most previous years - Annextad was especially impressive given his recent arrival compared to Morgan. Morgan is likely to be the starter, though - you can't argue with those stats tonight. Both can get out of the pocket if they have to and throw, which Annextad seemed slightly better at. Vic was disappointing - did not have a good night. Wish we had Brooks this season because injuries can thin the running backs fast. Thanks to coach PJ for having a real game and letting the QBs play unprotected (though he may not do that in future games). Both teams played with a lot of spirit, defense was encouraging, and we have a few good receivers. Reinforcements will be arriving in the fall, so hopefully the Gophers can win at least 7 and get to a bowl this year. Very happy to see BTN pick up the rescheduled game so quickly. Things are looking up in Gopherville.

A few thoughts as I’m watching my recording:

I’m a little amazed they’re allowing hits on the QBs as they’re playing behind patchwork and young OLs. Sassack has been blown up twice at left tackle, Andries once leading to brutal sack on Vic. Lucky he didn’t hurt his shoulder.

Smith has taken it up a notch, as has TJ. TJ looked like a legit top tier Big Ten WR today. Ibrahim is just ok IMO in terms of athleticism but maybe he’ll bring a Cobb-like game.

Autman-Bell is going to be really good.

Boye Mafe is an impressive specimen.

Tanner Morgan looks like a lock to be starter at this point- what a huge improvement vs last year at this time. Annexstad looked alternately good and a deer in headlights with some spotty accuracy. Could be a player next year. Viramontes never really had a chance behind a pretty bad line, but with his two drives in the first half and his struggles with ball handling it’s likely the coaches look at him as 3rd string for motivational purposes. It’s obvious he’s going to have really improve over the summer. Expect him to be QB2 and push for playing time if Morgan struggles when the Big Ten slate hits (sound familiar)?

I liked the leadership of PJ, probably the most of all in the spring game. To change the day and time of the game on short notice, to allow his players and QB's to play live...I don't believe those were easy decisions. But under the circumstances the right ones. Way to go PJ!!

My thoughts on the QB's are bit different than posted. If it were me making the decision solely based on the game I'd ride with Zack as my QB. I like how he played as a true freshman. I like his leadership in the game throughout including orchestrating the game winning drive. I like his leadership in getting his teammates to be Gophers. I like how he beat out a 4 star to become the starting QB at IMG. Just that and more...his body language and demeanor...he's the guy I'm trusting to lead my team.
Vic didn't get much opportunity but I think that's based on performance in the first 12 practices. He played in the game how he has practiced...guessing. Tanner just doesn't look the part to me....but he is our first or second option for sure it appears. By next fall Vic possibly could play like the guy on tape...who knows.

We have to catch the dang ball better. But Tyler made great plays and has the potential to dominate games like the WMU guy did for PJ. Rodney stood out...that's two offensive difference makers. I think Mo can be a solid #2. Bell can be somebody the defense has to worry about.

We seem to have more athletes out there. D-line had some flashes of optimism. Swenson and Huff jumped out and made plays.

I think with a few of the incoming freshmen hopefully making an impact and guys like Barber, Winfield, and Cashman etc who were held out...we get them altogether we can be pretty good.

Definitely more optimistic after the game than before. I think we may look good in game one. PJ is changing our best. I think I see that versus just wanting to see it.

I only saw 6-7 of Morgan's passes. At this point, he is a one receiver QB (locks on and doesn't look anywhere else). In fact, there was one play where instead of surveying the whole defense during pre-snap and before cadence, he only surveyed the right side. Funny enough, that's where he threw a slant/skinny post (if I remember correctly).

The coaches need to break this habit and keep developing the young man and the rest of the QBs.

edit: underlined part added for clarification.

I think it’s inevitable we’re going to see struggles no matter who starts this year. Like I said, Morgan I think seems the most comfortable out there, best pocket presence, nice touch on short to intermediate, decent scrambler. But, it’s all with a grain of salt as he’ll see much, much better defensive play this fall. OTOH, he’ll have first teamers around him as well.

I still haven’t finished the recording but a few other things-Durr still looks to have a hitch in his giddy up, and I feel bad for the guy. I think we may be ok on the defensive line, if not this year then surely next. Who was supposed to be covering Smith on his long TD reception? Martin? The OL looks good getting off the bus. How well they’ll play this year is another story but to me they look like they belong on the same field as Wisconsin and Iowa.

I only saw 6-7 of Morgan's passes. At this point, he is a one receiver QB (locks on and doesn't look anywhere else). In fact, there was one play where instead of surveying the whole defense, he only surveyed the right side. Funny enough, that's where he threw a slant/skinny post (if I remember correctly).

The coaches need to break this habit and keep developing the young man and the rest of the QBs.

I'm sure that will come as he gets older and more comfortable. He is only a RS FR, and this is basically his first 'start' in a live action game.

I'm sure that will come as he gets older and more comfortable. He is only a RS FR, and this is basically his first 'start' in a live action game.

Agree. We will have some growing pains no matter who is the starter. Experience is something we don't have. HOWEVER, I did add the underlined part to my original comment for more clarification. A starter in HS doesn't make this error. I know he's young, but the coaches need to make sure an elementary error like that should never be on the radar.

Smith has taken it up a notch, as has TJ. TJ looked like a legit top tier Big Ten WR today. Ibrahim is just ok IMO in terms of athleticism but maybe he’ll bring a Cobb-like game

I thought that Ibrahim looked very good IMO and look forward to seeing him in games. He'll improve with more reps and study. Assuming good health, he's going to get his share of carries and should be a great compliment to Rodney.

Continuing to watch, Faalele crushing it, moving at will. Truly a man among boys.

Watched the entire game off DVR and my big takeaway is the whole team wore black shoes. :p

I'm thinking that was intentional. All game film being analyzed from this will make us look slow - surprising the opponent on game day when we slap on the bright white kicks. I hope we wear black for all NC games and then BAM come B1G play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that was intentional. All game film being analyzed from this will make us look slow - surprising the opponent on game day when we slap on the bright white kicks. I hope we wear black for all NC games and then BAM come B1G play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ELITE_STRATEGERY

Really liked Silver at DT, very explosive. Young players at stand up DE are very good, #69,95,30. athletic and some size. #60 at center looks like a very good player, great feet. There is hope ��

Top Bottom