It's Whalen!

Really an exciting hire! Great step after a NCAA tournament win.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is this the "I'm not sure" emoji?

64177c9325139349d4ed12832b6362a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reusse was taking credit for it on the radio this afternoon. He wants to be called "The Fixer". Evidently, he has had a couple of other strokes of genius as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

:rolleyes:

One other reason for this hire. I have never been to a Gopher's women's game and was unaware there was even a forum on GH for Women's basketball and I am here reading this thread. I bet I am not the only person out there who is a little more interested in our women Gophers today.

It’s an inspired, imaginative hire for a program that, with the exception of a season or two, has been an also-ran locally, in conference and nationally. Whalen is basketball royalty in Minnesota with a very long list of accomplishments...Final Four, All-American, Olympic gold medalist, multi-time WNBA champion. She’s accomplished everything a young player could hope to achieve, at the most important position on the court. Her upside to the program is so much bigger than the downside. This is a great hire.

Careful, scools12 will accuse you of being "one of us," even though you appear to be from Chicago.

If Fred Hoiberg is the Mayor, does this make Lindsey Whalen the Chancellor?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

More important than what I think:

Thanks Iggy for all your hard work. This post tells us what we need to know.

Thanks Iggy for all your hard work. This post tells us what we need to know.

That seals the deal for me. If Bell and Pitts (and I hope Bello and Hubbard) are on board then so am I. My wife just said let’s get season tickets and she doesn’t like sports. I’m in!!

That seals the deal for me. If Bell and Pitts (and I hope Bello and Hubbard) are on board then so am I. My wife just said let’s get season tickets and she doesn’t like sports. I’m in!!

Hubbard retweeted the news with a smiley icon. Seems like she’s in.

Really cool to find out that Bell and Pitts are on board. I'm presuming that Hubbard is also. Now if we can get a graduate transfer post player, maybe we can make some noise in the NCAA tourney as early as next year. I've always heard that there is a lot of uncertainty among the players whenever a coach "abandons" them for another job and that is totally understandable. When Brenda Freese, then Oldfield, left the Gophers after just one year (an outstanding year), I recall then that Whalen was active in holding the team together. I don't remember the exact quote, but I do recall her saying something to the effect that ..."last time I looked, the coach never played a minute", implying that the Gophers were successful with Oldfield as coach and they would continue to be successful without her. There are a few naysayers, as there always are. Some of them are even correct in pointing out that as great as Whalen has been as a college and pro player, she hasn't coached or recruited before. But those of us who have watched Whalen over the years are confident that she'll figure this out...probably quickly.

Top Bottom