Strib: Stollings Receives a Big Raise at Texas Tech.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/marlene-...n-choosing-texas-tech-over-gophers/479542703/

A bit more on Stollings' Texas Tech contract.

Marlene Stollings received a $200,000 signing bonus and an annual raise of more than $200,000 when she left Minnesota for Texas Tech earlier this week.

The Gophers paid their former women's basketball coach $500,000 last season. She'll make $700,000 next season, and her salary increases $20,000 in each of the five seasons of her agreement. A sixth season in the agreement is contingent on the Lady Raiders making the NCAA tournament twice in her first five years.

The $200,000 signing bonus is a one-time payment. Stollings is also eligible to make up to $200,000 in supplemental compensation each season.

Additional compensation listed on the agreement includes a membership at a Lubbock country club, a luxury vehicle and a $750,000 staff salary allowance.

What? No clothing allowance or personal hairdresser?:p

https://texastech.com/news/2018/4/19/erin-grant-returns-to-lubbock-as-recruiting-coordinator.aspx

As promised, Stollings added a Texas recruiter to her staff. Erin Grant joins associate head coach, Nikita Dawkins.

Former Lady Raider standout Erin Grant returns to Lubbock as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator, Head Coach Marlene Stollings announced Thursday.

"I am delighted to have Coach Erin as a part of our staff. There is no doubt that her wealth of experience both as a player and a coach will help us make Lady Raider Basketball great again," Coach Stollings said.

"She is experienced with winning at the highest level including an Elite Eight appearance and two Sweet Sixteen appearances. Coach Erin's drive and inexhaustible work ethic helped her garner Big 12 co-freshman of the year honors, two All-Big 12 first team honors, an AP All-America Honorable Mention, and the 39th overall pick in the 2006 WNBA draft. She will use that same drive, work ethic, and passion for Lady Raider basketball to help current and future Lady Raiders achieve their greatest potential."

Grant returns to her alma mater after two seasons as an assistant coach at the University of New Mexico.

http://goutrgv.com/news/2018/4/21/coach-tidwell-resigning-as-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Stollings completes her coaching staff with a veteran, Larry Tidwell:

The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced on Saturday that women's basketball head coach Larry Tidwell, who recently completed his fifth season, is resigning to become the Chief of Staff for the women's basketball program at Texas Tech.

A national search for Tidwell's successor will begin immediately.

"We appreciate Coach Tidwell's hard work and dedication as the head women's basketball coach over the past five years," UTRGV Director of Athletic Chris King said. "He's been a wonderful representative of our University and a mentor for our student-athletes. He has produced champions on the playing court, in the classroom, and in the community, and has always done so with the utmost class and integrity. He took over a program that did not have a winning season in 30 years and produced three postseason appearances in the last four seasons.

Wonder what a "chief of staff" does? She has Tiffanie as her DOBO down there. This was not a role that anyone had as a job title at Minnesota.

Wonder what a "chief of staff" does? She has Tiffanie as her DOBO down there. This was not a role that anyone had as a job title at Minnesota.

Good point, I obviously jumped the gun. Tidwell would not be a coach; but a coaching consultant probably like Melanie Balcomb when she director of offensive analytics at South Carolina. There's several of those types of positions scattered about the college game.

https://texastech.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1984&path=mbball

Here's what the Texas Tech men's basketball chief of staff does (I also assume that former coaches tend to do or review the scout for upcoming games):

Brian Burg will start his second season with the Red Raiders as the Chief of Staff for the basketball program. He will be involved in all facets of the program in addition to acting as a liaison to various areas within the athletic department.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/utrgv_vaqueros/article_33b9f45a-4599-11e8-8887-dfdb709bafa3.html

Tidwell says recruiting will be his primary focus.

Tidwell said Texas Tech reached out to him about the opening on April 10, and he initially declined to entertain the possibility, instead focusing on national signing day April 11.

Marlene Stollings was announced as the new head coach at Texas Tech on April 9, and Tidwell said he and Stollings share the same agent.

“He connected the dots,” Tidwell said. “He really wanted me up there, and I just couldn’t do it. Then, about two days later, we connected again, and it was too good to turn down. … It was tight the whole time. There are so many positives here.”

The opening at Texas Tech gives Tidwell the opportunity to be closer to his mother and the rest of his family, who are based in Fort Worth. Set to turn 65 next month, Tidwell said the position with the Lady Raiders will likely be his last stop before retirement. He was an assistant at Baylor when the Big 12 began competition in 1996, and he liked the idea of closing out his career in the same conference...

Though not the Lady Raiders recruiting coordinator — that title belongs to Erin Grant, a former Texas Tech player who Tidwell tried to sign in 2002 during his tenure as the recruiting coordinator at TCU — Tidwell said recruiting will be his primary focus. He plans to use his 40-plus years of coaching at the high school and college level in Texas to secure some of the state’s top talent while tapping into the connections he’s built recruiting players from at least 25 different countries. He brought in two recruiting classes that ranked in the top 10 nationally during his tenure at TCU, and he has signed 40 student-athletes who went on to play professionally, including five WNBA players.

“I just wanted to challenge myself to see if I can help Texas Tech do that,” Tidwell said.

Who cares. Hopefully they coach D because our zone was brutal!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Larry Tidwell did complete Stollings' staff. Marlene had said she was taking four from her Minnesota staff; but she took three-Ralph, Tiffanie and Nikki.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stollings quickly went the JC guard route in augmenting her depleted roster. (She inherited six scholarship players). Marlene tweeted out four "Booms"; so there's at least one "Boom" remaining.

https://texastech.com/news/2018/5/29/andrayah-adams-joins-lady-raider-basketball-roster.aspx

Who said Stollings couldn't recruit Minnesota players?:)

Lady Raider Basketball Head Coach Marlene Stollings has worked quickly to build her team's roster since arriving in Lubbock only seven weeks ago. The fifth and newest addition is Andrayah Adams who hails from Minneapolis, Minn.

"I am thrilled to welcome Andrayah Adams to the Lady Raider program," Stollings said. "She brings a high basketball IQ, a tireless work ethic, the ability to score in a multitude of ways and strong leadership skills. Andrayah is very goal driven an aspires to help this program return to the national spotlight. Andrayah's prowess also extends to the classroom where she is a dedicated student. Lady Raider fans will enjoy watching her perform in our high-octane system."

Adams is a 5-10 guard who played last two seasons at St. John's University in Queens, N.Y. In her rookie season, she posted a career-high 27 points at Marquette, shooting 60 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from beyond the arc. Adams helped St. John's to advance to the third round of the WNIT

Cant imagine theres many worse nonconference schedules than that.

Racking up wins over crummy teams has served her well, unfortunately.

Last edited:

https://www.normantranscript.com/ok...cle_8c46bde4-420d-11e9-be5e-737298ce24dd.html

Texas Tech set Big Twelve tournament records in defeating Oklahoma and ending the Sooner's streak of 19 consecutive NCAA tournaments. Tech is 14-16 for the season and finished 4-14 in conference.

Please note that the "Give it to _____!" offense is still alive and well.

Texas Tech closed with a fury in a record-breaking 104-84 victory that ended OU’s season Friday at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The Sooners got as close as four points late in the third quarter, but were lapped during the Big 12 tournament quarterfinal’s finish.

Ana Llanusa scored 20 points while Madi Williams and Taylor Robertson each added 19 for the Sooners. But Tech’s Brittany Brewer was too much — she scored 40 points off 16-of-23 shooting to go with 15 rebounds.

Texas Tech set a tournament record for points scored in a single game and scored the second-most points against the Sooners this season. OU’s 8-2 run out of halftime cut the lead to 53-51 at 8:09 in the third quarter, but things went downhill from there.

Brewer, a 6-foot-5 junior, took advantage of all three.

She blocked four shots, two of which she swatted away before clasping the ball between two hands. Her length made a difference inside and out, where she made five 3s.

“Brit had the hot hand,” Tech guard Sydney Goodson said. “We were going to get her the ball. We could hear the coach on the side saying ‘give it to Brittany!’”

The teams played each other for the second time this week after the Red Raiders’ 88-82 victory Tuesday in Lubbock, Texas. OU trailed by 20 or more in both contests.

Brewer did what she pleased. Her 16 field goals are the second-most ever in a Big 12 tournament game behind Baylor’s Brittney Griner (19) in 2012.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had a game similar to this,” Brewer said.

Last edited:

What? A post player scoring 40 for a Stollings team? Goes to show that if she had some post players last year, she would have utilized them more, just as she used ZahuiB the year Banham was injured. Still, the defensive numbers for TT are woeful. Love the offense; don't like the lack of defense.

Cant imagine theres many worse nonconference schedules than that.

But, as we all know by now, the NC schedule that Stollings left for the Gophers this year would be one of those schedules worse than that of Texas Tech.

After factoring in their respective conference teams, TT ended the season with a final SoS of 52, whereas Minnesota ended up with an SoS of 171.

But, as we all know by now, the NC schedule that Stollings left for the Gophers this year would be one of those schedules worse than that of Texas Tech.

After factoring in their respective conference teams, TT ended the season with a final SoS of 52, whereas Minnesota ended up with an SoS of 171.

Not sure how accurate those numbers were - got them from a different thread.

RealTimeRPI says Gophers current stats are RPI 110 SoS 123 and for TT we have RPI 141 SoS 152.

So in actuality, the Gophers did end the season with a better SoS than TT. But that’s only because the Big Ten is a tougher conference than the Big 12. The Big Ten slightly un-cupcaked the otherwise horribly cupcaked Gopher NC season.

Last edited:

Actually, RPI's season continues. And at this point Texas Tech's strength of schedules is 52 and the Gophers 171. The Big 12 helped because as a conference they are third in RPI and the B1G is fourth.

Actually, RPI's season continues. And at this point Texas Tech's strength of schedules is 52 and the Gophers 171. The Big 12 helped because as a conference they are third in RPI and the B1G is fourth.

> Actually, RPI's season continues.

Correct. There will be very-minor adjustments to the Gophers final RPI, initially just because other teams are still playing in either their conference tournaments, or (eventually) in the NCAA Tournament (not sure whether NCAA RPI counts WNIT games into RPI). These other teams' games affect our SoS and thus effect our final RPI even though we're done playing (at least until the WNIT).

> The Big 12 helped because as a conference they are third in RPI and the B1G is fourth.

That makes sense - it appears that I guessed wrong that B1G ranked better than Big-12 in RPI - it's the other way around - although I doubt that Big-12 is better by much.

> And at this point Texas Tech's strength of schedules is 52 and the Gophers 171.

This intrigues me because (correct me if I'm wrong, Iggy) I assume Iggy's SoS number (171 for the Gophers) most likely comes from the official NCAA page, whereas my second-post (supposedly-corrected) SoS number (123 for the Gophers) came from the RealTimeRPI page. There is a huge discrepancy there.

Earlier this year we did catch RealTimeRPI missing/errant in some data, but that seemed to be a seldom-occurring event. How could NCAA say that Gophers' SoS is 171 while at the same time, RealTimeRPI says it's 123? One or the other web site must be extremely wrong here. It bears some more sleuthing - maybe I'll find a third site for comparison.

Per the first point above, at least RealTimeRPI's Gamer algorithm (which predicts end-of-season RPI based on its guesses as to what non-Gopher teams will win, or not, from here on out) is consistent with itself, as it only shows very minor changes to Gopher RPI from future games.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/lady-raiders-let-go-of-assistant-coach/1869260229

Erin Grant lasted one season with Marlene and Nikki:

Lady Raider basketball has parted ways with assistant coach Erin Grant.

Texas Tech Athletics Director Kirby Hocutt confirmed with Red Raider Nation that Grant will not return after one season on Marlene Stollings' coaching staff.

The four-year standout point guard for Texas Tech returned to he alma mater as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator on April 19, 2018.

Not sure I understand the whole strength of schedule dynamics but would you be better off being 6-6 with a SOS of 52 or 12-0 with a SOS of 171? Certainly a tough schedule would be better if you are able to go 12-0 either way. Did our strength of schedule keep us out of the NCAA or was it our Big Ten record?

Can't resist stirring the pot just a little bit. If the Texas Tech men make the Final Four (they did shut down a good Michigan mens team last night), might there be a Stollings visit back to the Twin Cities? The football board is chatting away about a Jerry Kill visit during the Final Four. I'd expect Marlene to be at the women's tourney and the coaches meetings that are there......but when your school makes the finals, who knows?

Well, we know Marlene won't be coming back here to recruit any Minnesota high school kids. She didn't do much of that when they were only 30 minutes away. And, don't count me in as a Marlene hater...I thought she was OK (not great) as a coach. Loved her offense and the confidence it instilled in her players..but certainly wish she had also been interested in teaching some defense.

Can't resist stirring the pot just a little bit. If the Texas Tech men make the Final Four (they did shut down a good Michigan mens team last night), might there be a Stollings visit back to the Twin Cities? The football board is chatting away about a Jerry Kill visit during the Final Four. I'd expect Marlene to be at the women's tourney and the coaches meetings that are there......but when your school makes the finals, who knows?

Top Bottom