Marcus on assistant coach candidates: Possible candidates with ties to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Here are some possible candidates with ties to Minnesota:

Dave Thorson, Colorado State – Thorson is a former Gophers assistant under Clem Haskins, a position which ended up giving him a chance to return to the college game 20 years later. Niko Medved, a former U manager under Haskins, hired Thorson last year to join him at Drake. The longtime championship coach at DeLaSalle then followed Medved to the Rams this spring.

Daryl Sharp, Hampton – Sharp has been at Hampton for eight seasons, going to three NCAA tournaments in that span, including in 2015 and 2016. The father of former Gophers walk-on and Hopkins guard Stephon Sharp. His high-major experience includes time as an Iowa State assistant and former director of basketball for Denny Crum at Louisville. Coached AAU and high school ball in Minnesota.

Kyle Green, Northern Iowa – Green, a Minneapolis native, is an associate head coach for Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa. He’s spent 13 seasons on the Panthers coaching staff. A 1992 Hamline graduate, his son, A.J., is a four-star 2018 point guard recruit who signed to play with his father at UNI next season.

Richard Hurt, D1 Minnesota – Hurt is co-owner, coach and director of operations for D1 Minnesota, one of the top AAU programs in the country. He’s been an assistant at Rochester John Marshall for eight years. His oldest son, Michael, is a junior-to-be with the Gophers. His youngest son, Matthew, is a top-five recruit in the 2019 class and all-state forward at JM.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ram-despite-two-assistants-leaving/479410683/

Go Gophers!!

I really hope we don't seriously entertain the idea of Richard Hurt as an assistant coach. I get it, he has a son who is a top 5 recruit. But let's not get into shady activity just to get a top 5 recruit for one year. There are literally thousands of more qualified candidates.

Get GreenX2

I really hope we don't seriously entertain the idea of Richard Hurt as an assistant coach. I get it, he has a son who is a top 5 recruit. But let's not get into shady activity just to get a top 5 recruit for one year. There are literally thousands of more qualified candidates.

Green would be a huge pickup and would love to see his son come with him...

Green would be a huge pickup and would love to see his son come with him...

He's the one that sticks out to me on the list above. Is actually qualified for the position regardless of his son's abilities.

I wonder if Green's son would have to sit if he came here.

Hiring a dad is legal and helps get players. If Hurt's dad is qualified then bring him on.

I wonder if Green's son would have to sit if he came here.

Hiring a dad is legal and helps get players. If Hurt's dad is qualified then bring him on.

No offense to him, but if you aren't even the head coach of your high school team, you probably aren't qualified to be an assistant at the D1 level.

it is easy to argue that there are more parallels between an elite AAU coach/Manager to a college coach than a HS coach.

And it doesn't even guarantee Matthew commits to the Gophers. Not everyone wants to play for their dad.

it is easy to argue that there are more parallels between an elite AAU coach/Manager to a college coach than a HS coach.

He wouldn't be remotely close to consideration if everything were the same except his son wasn't Matthew Hurt. It is laughable that he's even on this list.

He wouldn't be remotely close to consideration if everything were the same except his son wasn't Matthew Hurt. It is laughable that he's even on this list.

Where did Danny Manning's dad end up after Danny and the Miracles?

Damian Johnson and/or Saunders' kid???

Just in case you can't figure it out by process of elimination, Hurt developed 2 D1 kids in his own family. And also has one of the best AAU teams in the country. Hire him to get the stud, if he sucks, fire him when the stud leaves. Time for Minnesota to get with it. There isn't a top program that doesn't do these types of things.

Just in case you can't figure it out by process of elimination, Hurt developed 2 D1 kids in his own family. And also has one of the best AAU teams in the country. Hire him to get the stud, if he sucks, fire him when the stud leaves. Time for Minnesota to get with it. There isn't a top program that doesn't do these types of things.

Went through the power 5 conferences, best records over 3 years and nearly everyone does not do as you suggest.

He doesn't coach that AAU team.

And other than Memphis (where it didn't work) and USC, I can't think of other programs that have hired the parent of a prospect in recent years.

He doesn't coach that AAU team.

And other than Memphis (where it didn't work) and USC, I can't think of other programs that have hired the parent of a prospect in recent years.

Mizzou hired Michael Porter, Sr. to get Junior, the #1 player in his class last year. And that was only after Washington had hired Michael Porter, Sr. to get Junior, both of whom got out of that commitment when Lorenzo Romar, Junior's godfather, was fired.

Mizzou hired Michael Porter, Sr. to get Junior, the #1 player in his class last year. And that was only after Washington had hired Michael Porter, Sr. to get Junior, both of whom got out of that commitment when Lorenzo Romar, Junior's godfather, was fired.

True, but he was an assistant at Mizzou from 2013-2016 and the director of ops for three years before that.

Who is/was lead recruiter for Hurt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom