Spring Game moved to Thursday night

Stan

Reaction score
Bad weather coming in over the weekend, they've moved the Spring Game to this Thursday night.

Imagine how much better Wisconsin would be if they had great weather.

Good move. Going to bad elsewhere as well.

Wisconsin outright canceled their spring game, no rescheduling, it's just canceled.

Start practice a week later and have the spring game around the 20th of April. Early to mid-April is often the last gasp of the snow season. No one will be there Thursday night.

Makes sense.
By the large number of spring games being cancelled, I'm glad they are able to get it in on Thursday.

This is BS. Had plans for weeks and now they are shot, none of us can make it anymore.

Start practice a week later and have the spring game around the 20th of April. Early to mid-April is often the last gasp of the snow season. No one will be there Thursday night.

Maybe attendance will be down, but I for one (and my group of six) were already writing off the spring game because the consensus was we weren't sitting in 30 degree weather with snow/rain to watch an intersquad scrimmage. Thursday night mid to upper 40's is doable and we already are adjusting plans to go.

That's too knee-jerk. Next year spring could come early and then we'll complain that the spring game is too late. We've all lived in Minnesota long enough to know how different springs are from year-to-year.

That's too knee-jerk. Next year spring could come early and then we'll complain that the spring game is too late. We've all lived in Minnesota long enough to know how different springs are from year-to-year.

Still better odds doing it later.

Great move by the U to make a quality decision to get the game in and have a better experience for all. Those schools that canceled likely did so because they get larger crowds and it could have created logistical issues to have it on another day.

I can't go, but hope that than can give some great reviews of the game.

What is this Spring you mention?

Agreed. And half of the crowd would have left early, too.
...so 200 people would leave early? [emoji41]
I'm just teasing. The call for Thursday seems the most prudent option. Hopefully Thursday evening is dry.

Those of you going please give us some tidbits afterwards.

Hopefully, they will have the game video taped for those who cannot attend.

I'm sure they were also thinking about the BTN coverage. Holding the game on Saturday in rain or snow before a near-empty stadium would not have made for good optics.

And, from a coaching perspective, playing in bad weather makes it a lot harder to evaluate the skill positions. How do you evaluate QB's when they're trying to play in a wet, sloppy mess? moving it to Thursday should make for better playing conditions - a fairer test for the players, and much better situation for evaluating the QB's, WR's and other key positions.

Those of you going please give us some tidbits afterwards.

Hopefully, they will have the game video taped for those who cannot attend.

BTN schedule is showing "MN Gopher Spring Game" at 8:00 Thursday night, and also at 9:00 Saturday night.

I am more worried about injuries due to the weather conditions.

Yeah, Spring Game while snowing...

I wonder why these other schools didn't just move their spring game too? Kudos to PJ for making the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather this weekend is icky. Rain starts early Friday AM turning into snow about 8:00 PM Friday and will continue until late Saturday!

Wise decision to move game to Thursday.

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USMN0503:1:US

Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 3:44 AM CDT on April 12, 2018

* ...Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Friday evening through late Saturday night...

* what...heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches, and ice accumulations of one tenth to two tenths of an inch are possible.

* Where...portions of west central Wisconsin and central, east central and south central Minnesota.

* When...from Friday evening through late Saturday night.

* Additional details...plan on difficult travel conditions. Tree branches could fall. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph could cause areas of blowing and drifting snow. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Top Bottom