Ben Johnson to Xavier

Are you guys kidding me...???? Xavier is a better job the MN. Without a doubt getting paid more. It's a no brainer for Ben.

Good luck to the guy!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Put me in the camp of some fresh blood will be good. It's not like Gophers have lit the world on fire with Johnson & Young. I like the Jeter hire, now let's see who Pitino gets to replace Johnson. Pitino is a smart man. He knows this coming season is an important one in his career trajectory.

I’m wondering if Pitino might have known about the possibility of Johnson leaving and that Jeter is more of a replacement for Johnson than Young as far as being the in-state/midwest recruiting guy, and that maybe Pitino will look for an assistant with east coast or out of state recruiting connections for the remaining job opening.

I’m wondering if Pitino might have known about the possibility of Johnson leaving and that Jeter is more of a replacement for Johnson than Young as far as being the in-state/midwest recruiting guy, and that maybe Pitino will look for an assistant with east coast or out of state recruiting connections for the remaining job opening.
Rolly Pizano

A fake name for Rick Pitino.

Rolly Pizano

A fake name for Rick Pitino.

That would be amazing. They would give him a fake mustache and wig and come up with some elaborate backstory about why nobody had ever heard of him prior to now.

I'm game, this program needs a boost that can only be fulfilled by a former coach disguised as an assistant. :D

What?

Quick. Give me 5 examples of coaches leaving due to age and an assistant getting promoted to the head coaching job.

Tom Izzo replaced Jud Heathcote at Michigan State.
Greg Gard replaced Bo Ryan at Wisconsin.
Matt Painter was hired on as an assistant to Gene Keady for one year where was planned to take the head coaching job the next year, which still fits the description I suppose.
Keno Davis replaced Tom Davis at Drake after he retired.

Those are the examples I’ve found so far, but it seems quite possible for Duke to promote from within, or at the very least hire a guy who has been a Duke assistant in his career at some point. I know Washington’s current head coach was considered Boeheim’s successor at Syracuse. Will Tubby hand off the High Point job to an assistant when he decides to hang it up? I’d guess there aren’t a ton of coaches who are successful enough to retire out of old age as opposed to losing their edge and getting fired, limiting the amount of scenarios where an assistant is promoted to the head job after the previous head coach’s retirement, but I could be wrong.

But yeah i can’t imagine Ben Johnson took the assistant job here with any intention of staying here so long that he would take the head coaching job after the then 31 year old coach decided to retire after ~3 decades of coaching at Minnesota, especially considering Ben Johnson is likely a year or two older than Pitino.

This whole situation starts to feel like that scene in Saving Private Ryan where the medic is trying to piece the guy's abdomen back together and the patient gets shot in the head.

I've never read a more apt description of Minnesota sports.

Or since this staff has sucked so far on the court. No defensive or offensive strengths. Coyle said u need to make changes and try improve your staff and get some new ideas. We are 1-1 on upgrades so far let's see who replaces Ben. I am excited about the changes.

The 'they were pushed out' narrative might work if they left for NDSU and SDSU. They went to UConn and Xavier. They weren't pushed out.

Why are people assuming that Pitino wanted Ben to leave or that Ben was worried that Pitino would be here a long time. Xavier has a damn good history of coaches getting big jobs and asst. coaches taking over. That is not the case here. Coaches here usually turn out poorly and take big steps down and with nothing left for the staff. Do love the Jeter hire and really like the roster especially in another poor year in depth of quality in the Big 10. Gophers should be top 3-4.

I agree Xavier and UConn are better jobs, better programs. If I wasn't clear, my main point was a couple assistants left, and that it's not necessarily a bad thing because the results on the court have been far from encouraging. Eventually the buck stops st the head coach, though.

Matt Painter was hired on as an assistant to Gene Keady for one year where was planned to take the head coaching job the next year, which still fits the description I suppose.
Keno Davis replaced Tom Davis at Drake after he retired.

Those are the examples I’ve found so far, but it seems quite possible for Duke to promote from within, or at the very least hire a guy who has been a Duke assistant in his career at some point. I know Washington’s current head coach was considered Boeheim’s successor at Syracuse. Will Tubby hand off the High Point job to an assistant when he decides to hang it up? I’d guess there aren’t a ton of coaches who are successful enough to retire out of old age as opposed to losing their edge and getting fired, limiting the amount of scenarios where an assistant is promoted to the head job after the previous head coach’s retirement, but I could be wrong.

But yeah i can’t imagine Ben Johnson took the assistant job here with any intention of staying here so long that he would take the head coaching job after the then 31 year old coach decided to retire after ~3 decades of coaching at Minnesota, especially considering Ben Johnson is likely a year or two older than Pitino.

Another example is Pat Knight succeeding Bobby Knight at Texas Tech. That makes five - and of course there are more.

Oh, and I believe that Johnson and Pitino are the same age.

Maybe he needed to purge a couple guys in an effort to change the culture at the U. It's not like we have been fielding the Mormon Tabernacle Choir boys out there.

Is Jeter known for being able to keep kids in line?

I think it could be a positive move. I'd like to see a Gopher offense that does something other than pass the ball around the perimeter till the shot clock goes down (In conference).

Keno Davis replaced Tom Davis at Drake after he retired. .

Few replaced Monson which worked out OK for Gonzaga,

Another example is Pat Knight succeeding Bobby Knight at Texas Tech. That makes five - and of course there are more.

Oh, and I believe that Johnson and Pitino are the same age.

I’m not denying it happens, it’s not happening often and the fact someone suggested it as a motive to go to Xavier is what I’m scoffing at. Steele is In his mid 30s.

Edit: I just read he’s the brother of John groce. How does that work?

Speaking of Monson, this cavalcade of coaching changes reminds me of Monson's last season when he had Molinari as assistant. Even then it wasn't enough for Monson to keep his job. We'll see how this season plays out. The production on the court needs to improve. Jeter is a good step in the right direction.

It is a good move for Johnson. Moreover, it also makes him a more likely candidate to be Gophers head coach if Pitino leaves/ is fired (next year is too soon but 2 or 3 years is possible) and Xavier has success. Moreover, as others have said, Gophers haven't really looked well coached. All good for me.

It will really hurt local recruiting I think, Ben had a good relationship with the young local kids. It was mentioned earlier but I like the idea of Damian Johnson getting a look, still tapped into the local kids, young and enthusiastic.

Who is the lead recruiter for Hurt?

I'm pretty sure Pitino himself is leading that process. It's unwise to delegate recruiting responsibilities on a 5-star who's rated #4 in the nation (according to the latest 247 composite), especially when you currently coach his brother and have established ties to the family.

I’m not denying it happens, it’s not happening often and the fact someone suggested it as a motive to go to Xavier is what I’m scoffing at. Steele is In his mid 30s.

Edit: I just read he’s the brother of John groce. How does that work?

You are correct that it doesn't happen often. But Xavier has shown itself to be a program that often promotes from within when looking for a new head coach, and also a place that is a steppingstone to a premier job. Their last three HCs were all promoted from within after the HC left for a pretty darn good job.

Sean Miller was Thad Matta's top assistant before being promoted to HC when Matta left for Ohio State.
Mack was promoted to HC when Miller left for Arizona.
Steele was promoted to HC when Mack left for Louisville.

That track record has to factor into Ben Johnson's rationale for taking the job. Can't say that Minnesota, or most any other program in America, has a track record like that.

Speaking of Monson, this cavalcade of coaching changes reminds me of Monson's last season when he had Molinari as assistant. Even then it wasn't enough for Monson to keep his job. We'll see how this season plays out. The production on the court needs to improve. Jeter is a good step in the right direction.

Molinari was hired in 2004, so he did help Monson get to the 2005 NCAA Tourney with a 10-6 Big 10 record after the brutal 2003-04 season. Monson was not fired until the middle of the 2006-07 campaign.

Another example of an Asst Coach taking over as Head Coach due to retirement is Brian Dutcher at San Diego St for Steve Fischer.

As for the current staff shake-up I remember how Tubby was critiqued for being not making changes when things were getting stale. I do not feel the sky is falling with these recent changes.

Best of luck to Ben Johnson.

Monson didn't finish his career at Gonzaga by retiring though, we hired him away. Winasota was asking specifically about assistants who took over as head coach after their predecessor retired due to old age.

It is a good move for Johnson. Moreover, it also makes him a more likely candidate to be Gophers head coach if Pitino leaves/ is fired (next year is too soon but 2 or 3 years is possible) and Xavier has success. Moreover, as others have said, Gophers haven't really looked well coached. All good for me.

I don't discount the possibility that we'll end up with an equal or better replacement, but it must be said that Ben is considered a good coach and recruiter. He's certainly good enough to have been poached twice now: we stole him from Nebraska, and now X grabbed him from us.

Molinari was hired in 2004, so he did help Monson get to the 2005 NCAA Tourney with a 10-6 Big 10 record after the brutal 2003-04 season. Monson was not fired until the middle of the 2006-07 campaign.

Another example of an Asst Coach taking over as Head Coach due to retirement is Brian Dutcher at San Diego St for Steve Fischer.

As for the current staff shake-up I remember how Tubby was critiqued for being not making changes when things were getting stale. I do not feel the sky is falling with these recent changes.

Best of luck to Ben Johnson.

Thanks for the clarification regarding when Molinari was hired. I also wish Ben Johnson the best at Xavier.
Where we may see an issue regarding coaching changes is in getting a grad transfer. Two recruiters just left. That means there may be a void in contacts with grad transfers. But....perhaps Jeter has been in discussions with grads and brings that connection with him.

Monson didn't finish his career at Gonzaga by retiring though, we hired him away. Winasota was asking specifically about assistants who took over as head coach after their predecessor retired due to old age.
Anyone mention Izzo taking over for Heathcote?

What?

Quick. Give me 5 examples of coaches leaving due to age and an assistant getting promoted to the head coaching job.

Along with the aforementioned Dutcher-Fisher SDSU:

Bill Guthridge for Dean Smith - North Carolina
Kevin Ollie for Jim Calhoun - UConn
Craig Esherick for John Thompson - Georgetown
Joey Meyer for Ray Meyer - DePaul

per Marcus:

Gopher recruits Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Omersa said after hearing of Johnson’s departure Tuesday that they were happy for him.

“I’m excited for him on his new journey,” said Kalscheur, who attends Johnson’s alma mater at DeLaSalle. “He will do great things. He will be missed but will always be family to me.”

Oturu, who is sitting out of Nike Hoop Summit practices in Portland with a shoulder injury, said he wishes Johnson nothing but the best.

“I’m happy for Coach Ben,” Oturu, a 6-foot-10 Cretin-Derham Hall center, said. “With that being said, myself and the other recruits got a future ahead of us that we have to focus on. And I think we will be able to do good things at the U.”

Omersa agreed with Oturu’s stance on the assistant coaching departures.

“Gonna miss him,” the high-flying Orono forward said. “But we got plans. It’s not about what happens to you. It’s about how you react and respond.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ram-despite-two-assistants-leaving/479410683/

Go Gophers!!

You are correct that it doesn't happen often. But Xavier has shown itself to be a program that often promotes from within when looking for a new head coach, and also a place that is a steppingstone to a premier job. Their last three HCs were all promoted from within after the HC left for a pretty darn good job.

Sean Miller was Thad Matta's top assistant before being promoted to HC when Matta left for Ohio State.
Mack was promoted to HC when Miller left for Arizona.
Steele was promoted to HC when Mack left for Louisville.

That track record has to factor into Ben Johnson's rationale for taking the job. Can't say that Minnesota, or most any other program in America, has a track record like that.

I think that's a decent argument. The post I responded to was specifically about being concerned about the age of Pitino and not wanting to sit behind him.

GH has taken my ill-formed point and passed the test of quick 5 examples.

Top Bottom