An MSU student has filed a lawsuit alleging she was raped by 3 MSU BBall Players

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
[cut and paste from reddit]

Obviously this is all alleged to have happened but here is the info currently available:

-- Alleged incident happened The evening of April 11, 2015, and morning of April 12, 2015

-- She was raped by 3 members of the MSU basketball team in 2015

-- She reported the rape to a counselor, who acted differently when it was apparent those accused were athletes

-- She was not told to get tested for STDs, get a physical exam or seek medical treatment

-- She was told by staff that if she reported the rape to police, she would receive negative media attention and will "be swimming with some really big fish" if she pursued it

-- She ended up checking into a psychiatric hospital and ultimately withdrew from classes.

Link to lawsuit: clicky

Gotta think this has to at least warm the Izzo seat slightly. If stuff like this keeps coming up from the MSU Athletic Department, the University might be forced to clean house at some point.

She was in a psych ward? Do we know her history before the alleged rape? Has she had a long history of psychological problems or only after the alleged rape?
If she is telling the truth, I can see the significant need for counseling. If she had a history of psychological issues before the alleged rape, then that would likely weaken her claim.
How do we get to the truth now that the claim is 3 years old?
I really wish we had a society where law breaking would be dealt with immediately rather than brought up 3 years later.

more talking points for izzo to add to his self-loathing about all that he's been through. poor guy has had to deal with a lot.

Time to spend more time with your family, Izzo.

Silence from the Sparty cheering section. Silence.

St Tommy.

April 2015? Hmm, where was Reggie?

St Tommy.

Honestly with the Nasser stuff and now this the issues at MSU seem way bigger then just Izzo. Obviously it is all allegations at this point but if any of the stuff in the lawsuit is true about the way the MSU Counseling Center handled things a lot of heads are going to roll.

She was in a psych ward? Do we know her history before the alleged rape? Has she had a long history of psychological problems or only after the alleged rape?
If she is telling the truth, I can see the significant need for counseling. If she had a history of psychological issues before the alleged rape, then that would likely weaken her claim.
I really wish we had a society where law breaking would be dealt with immediately rather than brought up 3 years later.

Wow. You went there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. You went there?

Of course. I'm not going to be a politically correct pansy @$$. If this story is to be believed we need to know the history of the person making a claim three years after the alleged event.
No one applauds rape. It is a serious charge. Therefore all aspects behind the claim must be explored. The woman's psychological history is important in getting to the truth.

Wow! Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

The 3 year delay wasn’t because of selective memory, it took that long to build up the courage to confront the situation and fight the coverup. Our society has a long way to go before people will stop trying to cover up or dismiss the consequences for their actions (some will even want those people to lead our land...).

Wow! Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

The 3 year delay wasn’t because of selective memory, it took that long to build up the courage to confront the situation and fight the coverup. Our society has a long way to go before people will stop trying to cover up or dismiss the consequences for their actions (some will even want those people to lead our land...).

You should have stayed silent then.
Your narrative may or may not be accurate. The claim this woman makes is serious for everyone. If she has any psychological issues that reveal her as falsely recalling events these issues must be explored.
The initial reaction is (and should be) to investigate her claims as legitimate. The investigation must, however, explore her own psychological stability in recalling the alleged events. More than her own health is now being addressed. Now you have three alleged perpetrators and an entire staff of alleged accomplices in a major cover-up.
Justice is only served if truth prevails. One cannot get to the truth without knowing the mental stability of the accuser.

Of course. I'm not going to be a politically correct pansy @$$. If this story is to be believed we need to know the history of the person making a claim three years after the alleged event.
No one applauds rape. It is a serious charge. Therefore all aspects behind the claim must be explored. The woman's psychological history is important in getting to the truth.

It's the job of the school's legal counsel to do that. And I'm sure they will. No one is asking you to shed a tear for her before any facts have been determined. You can be an a$$ if you want, but don't be surprised when someone calls you out on it. Has nothing to do with being politically correct.

So you spoke to her? Could be total BS and she smells a payday from the school. It could be legit, but it needs to be handled by the legal system. An accusation does not equate to guilt, unless you are a zealot.

St Tommy.

I don't mind the silence from Sparty fans. It's smarter than some others on this very board. Still need to let things play out. Hope there is no rush to judge either way. Two sides to every story. Think Izzo needs to address it though. He's the face of the program and this is not going away. I sort of understood that he wanted to avoid it during the season, but now that the season is over I think he needs to answer some questions.

I don't mind the silence from Sparty fans. It's smarter than some others on this very board. Still need to let things play out. Hope there is no rush to judge either way. Two sides to every story. Think Izzo needs to address it though. He's the face of the program and this is not going away. I sort of understood that he wanted to avoid it during the season, but now that the season is over I think he needs to answer some questions.

Agree with what you've posted here 100%, and I say that as someone who has Michigan State ties/loyalty (Dad a graduate), and as one who has always thought highly of Izzo. Right now not exactly MSU's proudest moments as an institution, so why would would anyone with in their right mind with MSU ties choose to re-hash the gory details (on a message board) for which the school is getting hammered over & over (and rightly so)? To hear a school and/or coach you've supported get publicly flogged repeatedly? No thanks, seems to me silence is the better route?

What you point out in your last 3 sentences is pretty much what I tweeted on my Twitter account (@Fieldof68Freak) earlier today. I've always respected the h*ll out of Izzo, but I think the time for him to speak has arrived.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Your narrative may or may not be accurate. The claim this woman makes is serious for everyone. If she has any psychological issues that reveal her as falsely recalling events these issues must be explored.
The initial reaction is (and should be) to investigate her claims as legitimate. The investigation must, however, explore her own psychological stability in recalling the alleged events. More than her own health is now being addressed. Now you have three alleged perpetrators and an entire staff of alleged accomplices in a major cover-up.
Justice is only served if truth prevails. One cannot get to the truth without knowing the mental stability of the accuser.

My understanding is that the complaint is not directed at the players who were reportedly involved. Rather the complaint is that appropriate processes and procedures were not followed by relevant administrators and that the petitioner was actively discouraged from pursuing appropriate (vis a vis) Title IX procedures. I do not necessarily think this requires diving into the young lady's past but the administrators have some explaining to do. Heads likely to roll again at MSU.

My understanding is that the complaint is not directed at the players who were reportedly involved. Rather the complaint is that appropriate processes and procedures were not followed by relevant administrators and that the petitioner was actively discouraged from pursuing appropriate (vis a vis) Title IX procedures. I do not necessarily think this requires diving into the young lady's past but the administrators have some explaining to do. Heads likely to roll again at MSU.

If this is the issue, then I agree. Investigate the process and procedures used. If there was a cover up then let justice come swiftly.
If the issue is not about the alleged rape then the mental stability of the alleged victim is not applicable. Thanks for trying to provide clarity.

I don't get the mental stability angle.

Mentally stable. Okay to look at the rape allegations?
Mentally not stable. Need to question it?

Like, at what point?

So, three years after a rape, a girl gets the confidence to come back with allegations.
Should the police / University at that point say..

"Hey, wait a second, we need a full mental health history from you before we proceed here. We don't know if we can believe you because you had some depression issues leading up to the alleged rape."

Or should they take the alleged complaint, and then go through some sort of flow chart to weed out these pesky people with mental health issues.

Maybe a quick questionnaire?

1. Have you ever hurt yourself?
2. Do you love your mother?
3. Were you ever abused as a child
4. Are you sad often?
Etc. Because in the case the person was possible bi-polar, depressed, possibly schizophrenic, at that point they can back-burner the case more.

I'm not sure how that whole angle would work.

Whatever you want to tell yourself. I'd simply call it crass and poor taste.

And that's why women don't report...

The alleged actions of the counseling center are bad enough. The big meatball is whether Izzo was informed about the allegations and had any role influencing the counseling center's actions. Based on the potential economic loss and what we've learned about how that place was being run...........
The optics are really bad for Izzo right now.

Agree with what you've posted here 100%, and I say that as someone who has Michigan State ties/loyalty (Dad a graduate), and as one who has always thought highly of Izzo. Right now not exactly MSU's proudest moments as an institution, so why would would anyone with in their right mind with MSU ties choose to re-hash the gory details (on a message board) for which the school is getting hammered over & over (and rightly so)? To hear a school and/or coach you've supported get publicly flogged repeatedly? No thanks, seems to me silence is the better route?

What you point out in your last 3 sentences is pretty much what I tweeted on my Twitter account (@Fieldof68Freak) earlier today. I've always respected the h*ll out of Izzo, but I think the time for him to speak has arrived.

Interesting take, considering GH discussions on this very board regarding/during Gangelgate.

Just put the shovel down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom