PPD: It's Official Stollings to Texas Tech

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...oach-marlene-stollings-leaves-for-texas-tech/

Marlene Stollings will leave her position as the Gophers women’s basketball coach for the same job at Texas Tech, a source confirmed to the Pioneer Press.

The U women’s basketball team was notified of the move Monday and a team meeting is schedule for Monday afternoon to discuss the vacancy with Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle and Julie Manning, the source said. The news, which was first reported by KSTP-TV, is expected to become official Monday.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.startribune.com/marlene-...hers-basketball-for-texas-tech-job/479181053/

Gophers women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings has accepted the same position at Texas Tech, sources told the Star Tribune on Monday..

...Stollings replaces Candi Whitaker, who was fired at Texas Tech in January after a 52-84 record in 4½ seasons as head coach. Whitaker's assistant Shimmy Gray-Miller was the Red Raiders interim coach this season, finishing 7-23 (1-17 in the Big 12). Gray-Miller had Stollings as an assistant at Saint Louis from 2005-07.

Former Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith took his next job at Texas Tech after being fired at the U in 2013.

In August 2015, before athletic director Mark Coyle was hired, Stollings signed a one-year extension, which extended her through the 2020-21 season. Her salary is $500,000 per season. Her buyout was $975,000 if the school parted ways with her this year

http://www.startribune.com/marlene-...hers-basketball-for-texas-tech-job/479181053/

The STrib speculates on candidates:

The Former Gophers All-American and Minnesota Lynx star guard led Minnesota to a Final Four in 2004 and has won four WNBA titles with the Lynx. She has given no public indication that she won't play in the upcoming WNBA season, however. If she were to return to the U, she would give the Gophers fan base a jolt and perhaps boost the program's recruiting — a potential big win considering local talent is on the rise, with Hopkins sophomore guard Paige Bueckers leading the way.

Other possible names to watch include South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, Notre Dame assistant coach Niele Ivey and Gophers assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins.

Johnston and Ivey were both top Gophers candidates before Stollings was hired by former AD Norwood Teague. Lowry-Dawkins, the U's top recruiter, was a candidate for a few head coaching jobs before she joined Stollings' Gophers staff in 2014.

Other possible names to watch include South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, Notre Dame assistant coach Niele Ivey and Gophers assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins.

Looks like we covered them all.

Johnston and Ivey were both top Gophers candidates before Stollings was hired by former AD Norwood Teague.

How the hell did Stollings come out on top of these three? :mad:

Looks like we covered them all.

How the hell did Stollings come out on top of these three? :mad:

For all the jobs that Ivey is known or rumored to have pursued, how has she not gotten hired? Is she a bad interview, asks too much, has no coaching life outside of Muffet, etc.?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040918aab.html

The release from Gopher Sports:

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle confirmed Monday that Head Coach Marlene Stollings, who has led the Gopher women's basketball program for the past four seasons, is resigning to take the same position at Texas Tech.

"I appreciate what Coach Stollings accomplished in her time with us, particularly this past season when her team provided some great memories for Gopher fans. We wish her the best in her new position," said Coyle. "We have already begun identifying candidates to be our next head coach. Our program has a history of success, brand-new facilities that are among the best in the country, and a talented core returning. I'm excited to meet with candidates and share everything Gopher Women's Basketball has to offer."

“We’ve aleady begun identifying candidates to be our next head coach. Our program has a history of success, brand-new facilities that are among the best in the country, and a talented core returning. I'm excited to meet with candidates and share everything Gopher Women's Basketball has to offer."

This guy sounds more promising to get the job done. Teague sucked, obviously. I always thought the Stollings hire was sketch. Didn’t Teague have some sort of connection to VCU?

This guy sounds more promising to get the job done. Teague sucked, obviously. I always thought the Stollings hire was sketch. Didn’t Teague have some sort of connection to VCU?

Bringing back memories: VCU, Winthrop, Mike Ellis and Villa 7.

Meanwhile in Lubbock.

Carolyn Kieger has done a very good job at Marquette. She is originally from Minnesota and might be a good candidate.

Texas Tech, our dumping ground for basketball coaches we don't like. Too bad Tubby isn't still there.

Bell was at Marquette she could provide some information to AD Coyle

Carolyn Kieger has done a very good job at Marquette. She is originally from Minnesota and might be a good candidate.

This coach Kieger intrigues me being at Marquette, I liked how they played defense. I would like to see the Gophers get an established D1 head coach this time around.
I don't believe Whelan has coaching in her future, she seems much more interested in broadcasting and a media role after her playing career is done.

This coach Kieger intrigues me being at Marquette, I liked how they played defense. I would like to see the Gophers get an established D1 head coach this time around.

Let me ask, you think Kenisha will be intrigued? She may up and quit rather than play for the coach she chose to transfer away from.

I'm not sure how much interest Tricia Fabbri, Quinnipiac would have. But she's done a great job for where she's at. I think she's in her late 40's and her daughter just got done playing for her this year so maybe there would be a shot. Lots of options to consider. Still like the Drake coach to.

Good riddance, your no defense coaching system will not be missed.
Yep. Sure would be nice to find a coach who actually knows both ends of the court.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I wish I was going to the banquet tonight. I'd love to be a fly on that wall to see how everything plays out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still hoping for the Marlene Stollings signed basketball.

NCAA appearances pay off.

The updated STrib article contains some Deb Antonelli:

College basketball analyst Debbie Antonelli said Texas Tech's tradition was a big selling point for Stollings, which includes 11 Sweet 16 appearances between 1992 and 2005 and a 1993 national title under Marsha Sharp. Sharp won 571 games in Lubbock and is now associate athletic director.

After interviewing at Texas Tech last week, Stollings told Antonelli she felt torn having to leave behind players she loved coaching at Minnesota.

"She was trying to remove the emotion from it and make a very good decision for what would be best for her future," Antonelli said. "She didn't apply for the job. [Texas Tech] sought her out and went after her. You want to leave a job better than you found it. She did that."

AJ Johnston went back to SDSU because of his current wife. At the time he was dating someone in the athletic department at SDSU. They’re still married with 3 kids. She was possibly going to take the head job at SDSU when he left and they just didn’t want to be apart. Was it right that he backed out? No. But there was more to it. Women make us do crazy things.

Also, I’m a MN fan and I don’t really get the Whalen love. She’s obviously a great player but she has never coached before. There is way more involved with recruiting, compliance, etc. Great players don’t always make great coaches. In my opinion, she needs experience as an asssistnt first.

Well, if the salary for the TT job is being reported correctly, then maybe money was a factor. That and the 6 years. I'm also thinking that Stollings may have sensed that the AD may have not thought that she was the long-term person for the Gopher job. I still don't think that the TT job has more potential than the U of M job. There are plenty of good girls high school basketball players in Texas and Stollings will have to do a much better job of recruiting that state than she did in recruiting Minnesota. And it's my guess that she is going to be recruiting against Baylor, A & M, Texas, and TCU for some of the state's premier players and that's going to be tough for Stollings, because those are all currently better programs and Lubbock isn't going to be an attractive destination for Texas high school players and certainly not for players from other states.

The updated STrib article contains some Deb Antonelli:

College basketball analyst Debbie Antonelli said Texas Tech's tradition was a big selling point for Stollings, which includes 11 Sweet 16 appearances between 1992 and 2005 and a 1993 national title under Marsha Sharp. Sharp won 571 games in Lubbock and is now associate athletic director.

After interviewing at Texas Tech last week, Stollings told Antonelli she felt torn having to leave behind players she loved coaching at Minnesota.

"She was trying to remove the emotion from it and make a very good decision for what would be best for her future," Antonelli said. "She didn't apply for the job. [Texas Tech] sought her out and went after her. You want to leave a job better than you found it. She did that."

I don't follow the women closely, but like all Gopher fans I paid attention when they made their nice run at the end of the season and into the tournament. Every time I heard Stollings in a press conference, she mentioned how much better they were now than in the past. Things like "the first time in xxx years this program has..." It all sounded strangely like self promotion or campaigning. I thought she was campaigning for the Gopher job since the senus fidelium is that she has under performed. Looks like she was really campaigning for another job. Also looks like someone in the department leaked that she was interviewing, sealing her fate no matter what happened.

We should be able to get a good, experienced coach. The B!G looks like it is ripe for the taking in Women's basketball. No dominant programs nationally.

Yep. Sure would be nice to find a coach who actually knows both ends of the court.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
Why? We have a Mens coach who doesn't, so why should the Women's coach? [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lubbock? Really? The dusty armpit of nowhere?
Why would any lesbian pick Lubbock over Minneapolis? (Or is my information incorrect regarding orientation?)
I understand TxTech has a better history of winning, but that dust bowl area is the equivalent of coaching in Montana.
Oh well. Best wishes. Who is the replacement for our Gophers?

Lubbock? Really? The dusty armpit of nowhere?
Why would any lesbian pick Lubbock over Minneapolis? (Or is my information incorrect regarding orientation?)
I understand TxTech has a better history of winning, but that dust bowl area is the equivalent of coaching in Montana.
Oh well. Best wishes. Who is the replacement for our Gophers?
Montana is beautiful. Lubbock, TX not so much.

Top Bottom