New assistant coach with familiar name.

It's interesting to me that Jeter was making $250,000 at UNLV and Kimani was making $185,000 at Minnesota. I would suspect that Jeter is not leaving UNLV to come in to the Gophers situation for a pay cut, and likely not without a pay raise. A Ryan James tweet made it appear that Jeter chose to come to Minnesota over an offer to coach at Memphis as well. Kudos to Coyle for opening up the purse strings here as Jeter has a better pedigree than I expected for this opening given the uncertainty going forward. It's kind of strange that Pitino started his career at the U with a young inexperienced staff and now that he's going in to his 6th year he will have two former head coaches on his bench.

As for recruiting Wisconsin, the only player the Gophers have made a priority since Pitino was hired was Sandy Cohen who committed to Marquette. That was in 2014 which was after Pitino's first year (Tyus/Rashad/Reid) class. Since then there have been a couple of plan B/C/D guys who never had an opportunity to commit to Minnesota. Haliburton was "offered" late in the process last year and they were trying to set up a visit with him after Anthony Nelson who himself was like Plan C if Eric Hunter didn't commit. Haliburton ended up committing to Iowa State before the Gophers lost out on Hunter to Purdue. The Henry Ellenson recruitment obviously ended the minute the Wally Ellenson relationship went sour.

Maybe the Gophers will focus more on Wisconsin/the Midwest in general with this hire, but even Wisconsin has struggled to get the best players out of their state to stay home despite their success. I think a potential shift in recruiting priorities/strategy is on of the more interesting aspects of this hire. It's also interesting that Jeter is a longtime Bo Ryan disciple as I see that style of play being almost polar opposite to Pitino's desired style.

It's interesting to me that Jeter was making $250,000 at UNLV and Kimani was making $185,000 at Minnesota. I would suspect that Jeter is not leaving UNLV to come in to the Gophers situation for a pay cut, and likely not without a pay raise. A Ryan James tweet made it appear that Jeter chose to come to Minnesota over an offer to coach at Memphis as well. Kudos to Coyle for opening up the purse strings here as Jeter has a better pedigree than I expected for this opening given the uncertainty going forward. It's kind of strange that Pitino started his career at the U with a young inexperienced staff and now that he's going in to his 6th year he will have two former head coaches on his bench.

As for recruiting Wisconsin, the only player the Gophers have made a priority since Pitino was hired was Sandy Cohen who committed to Marquette. That was in 2014 which was after Pitino's first year (Tyus/Rashad/Reid) class. Since then there have been a couple of plan B/C/D guys who never had an opportunity to commit to Minnesota. Haliburton was "offered" late in the process last year and they were trying to set up a visit with him after Anthony Nelson who himself was like Plan C if Eric Hunter didn't commit. Haliburton ended up committing to Iowa State before the Gophers lost out on Hunter to Purdue. The Henry Ellenson recruitment obviously ended the minute the Wally Ellenson relationship went sour.

Maybe the Gophers will focus more on Wisconsin/the Midwest in general with this hire, but even Wisconsin has struggled to get the best players out of their state to stay home despite their success. I think a potential shift in recruiting priorities/strategy is on of the more interesting aspects of this hire. It's also interesting that Jeter is a longtime Bo Ryan disciple as I see that style of play being almost polar opposite to Pitino's desired style.

Bo Ryan's style changed quite a bit. He played fast at Platteville and Milwaukee, slowed it down at UW because of the kids he was getting and the conference. He quit running Swing once he got the Decker and Kamisky group as well. Jeter is a about a good of a hire as we could've hoped for. I was hoping for McHale or Thorson, but this hire is most likely better than both.

The bigger story with this in my opinion is if we are done recruiting the East Coast as heavily as we have and will focus more so in the Eastern Midwest (Illinois, Mich, Indiana and Ohio).

Here's the press release from the Gophers:

Rob Jeter Joins Gophers as Assistant Coach

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino has announced the addition of Rob Jeter to the Gophers coaching staff. Jeter will join Minnesota as an assistant coach after a decorated career, most recently in the same role at UNLV.

“We are extremely excited to add Rob to our staff,” Pitino said. “He’s got a wealth of knowledge and experience that will make our program better. He knows the league and has terrific connections in the Midwest.”

With more than 20 years in collegiate coaching, Jeter spent the past two seasons at UNLV. In his first season with the Runnin’ Rebels, he assisted in bringing in a recruiting class for the 2017-18 season that was ranked as high as No. 12 in the country and included McDonald's High School All-American Brandon McCoy and National Junior College Player of the Year Shakur Juiston. This year, he was a part of the UNLV squad that won 20 games and fell to eventual Sweet 16 participant Nevada in the Mountain West Conference tournament.

Prior to coming to Las Vegas, Jeter was the head coach at Milwaukee for 11 years, winning 20 or more games five times, including his last season (2015-16). He led the Panthers to the NCAA Tournament twice, defeating Oklahoma in the 2006 Big Dance, and to the NIT and CBI in back-to-back years.

Jeter recorded a 185-170 mark leading the school, becoming its winningest Division I coach in program history. Additionally, his total of 101 Horizon League victories ranked third all-time in the conference.

In 2012, Jeter earned Horizon League Coach of the Year honors as well as being named the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association Division I Coach of the Year for a second time (first was 2006).

Off the court, Jeter's Panthers team was well-known for its work in the community. It logged over 900 hours as a team and consistently earned the athletics department's community service award.

Academically, Jeter led the program to much success as well. Many of his teams carried a cumulative 3.0 grade point average and he had multiple student-athletes earn Academic All-Horizon League honors.

His last season at the school, his team was honored by the NABC with the Team Academic Excellence Award, which was created by the organization's Committee on Academics. The award recognizes outstanding academic achievement by a team with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better during the season. The Panthers were the only Horizon League school on that list.

Before becoming head coach at Milwaukee, Jeter wan an assistant under head coach Bo Ryan at both Wisconsin (2001-05) and UWM (1999-01). He was also an assistant at Marquette (1998-99, under Mike Deane) and an assistant at Wisconsin-Platteville under Ryan (1994-98).

In four seasons at Wisconsin, Jeter helped the Badgers to remarkable success. They won two regular season Big Ten championships and a Big Ten Tournament title. Wisconsin also made four-straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including berths in the Sweet 16 in 2003 and the Elite Eight in 2005.

Jeter has been a part of 13 conference championships, including 11 as a coach, and three national championships, two as a coach.

In his 12 years as an assistant coach, his teams have posted a 256-106 (.707) combined overall record and a 130-60 (.684) mark in league play.

Jeter played college basketball at UW-Platteville under Ryan, captaining his team to the 1991 NCAA Division III title as a senior and was named to the All-Final Four team. His teams went 102-16 in four seasons as a player and he still holds UW-Platteville records for career field goal percentage (.601) and consecutive starts (89).

He is a 1991 graduate of the school and went on to earn a master's degree from there in 2001.

He was inducted into the UW-Platteville Athletic Hall of Fame in 2006 and was also named an inductee into the inaugural hall of fame class for the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. In addition, his 1991 National Championship team from Platteville was inducted into the school's hall of fame in 2013.

Born in Pittsburgh, he grew up in Chicago as part of an athletic family. His late father, Bob, is a member of the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and his brother, Carlton, played basketball alongside him at Platteville.

He attended high school at Quigley South in Chicago and after graduating college, he starred for the Olivias Futebol Clube in Portugal in 1992-93, leading the Portuguese league in scoring. Jeter and his wife, Deanna, have three sons, Robert, Jonathan and Jackson, and a daughter, Jolie.

Jeter replaces Kimani Young, who accepted the same position at the University of Connecticut last week.

--

Bo Ryan's style changed quite a bit. He played fast at Platteville and Milwaukee, slowed it down at UW because of the kids he was getting and the conference. He quit running Swing once he got the Decker and Kamisky group as well. Jeter is a about a good of a hire as we could've hoped for. I was hoping for McHale or Thorson, but this hire is most likely better than both.

The bigger story with this in my opinion is if we are done recruiting the East Coast as heavily as we have and will focus more so in the Eastern Midwest (Illinois, Mich, Indiana and Ohio).

I don't think it effects East Coast recruiting that much. Pitino is still an East Coast guy so it might not be as heavy as before, but I still believe he will look out there.

Akeem chimes in:

“He’s going to fit in real well with Coach Pitino as far as recruiting,” Springs said. “He did a real good job with the Midwest, as far as his connections there. I got the same type of feel that I got from Coach (Pitino) that I got from Jeter is that he’s a player’s coach. We always started our focus on defense and taking charges. On offense, we ran the swing offense. Guys who came from under Bo Ryan run the swing. But my last year, he changed it because he saw our pieces were different. Coach (Jeter) is a player’s coach and he wants to win. He’s going to run offenses that fit the team and get the best out of the team. I feel like Coach P gets that also. My year he did change some stuff up to fit me.”

Springs, who played one season with the Gophers in 2016-17, said Jeter would immediately be able to help current players develop their game this offseason.

“I think he can definitely fit the offensive part and player development part,” Springs said. “He can help guards and bigs. Coach has a lot of good knowledge. He’s a guy who during the winter, however much time you have, he would (encourage) us to come back and get our work in and get shots up. With skill development, he always took time before every practice to work on skill stuff. We always started with a pass and catch drill, a focus drill and a finishing drill. He was real big on skills stuff. I think he can help there and help recruiting for sure. I think he’s an all-around good fit.”

http://www.startribune.com/akeem-sp...oach-and-new-u-assistant-rob-jeter/479309763/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe adding Jeter will turn out to be an even bigger addition than the grad transfers. Perhaps he will play a major role in getting one of them.
(Really surprised Builtbadgers hasn't chimed in yet on Jeter.)

Someone should start another thread but Doogie says there’s a rumor that Ben Johnson could leave for Xavier.

Maybe adding Jeter will turn out to be an even bigger addition than the grad transfers. Perhaps he will play a major role in getting one of them.
(Really surprised Builtbadgers hasn't chimed in yet on Jeter.)

Very good hire. Sharp and nice guy.

Top Bottom