New assistant coach with familiar name.

Given the circumstances, Jeter a solid hire. Hopefully he wins some of the recruiting battles vs. Wisconsin, a state he's very familiar with.

I like this hire, better than I expected. He was a name that was thrown around as a potential HC for us at one point when he was at UW.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Robbie was pretty highly thought of at UW when he was Bo's assistant.

Seems like a good hire! Findlay Prep School in Vegas has had some great players including Rashad Vaughn. Hopefully he’s got connections there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he coached Springs, right? Wonder if Springs vouched for Pitino and the program

Seems like a good hire! Findlay Prep School in Vegas has had some great players including Rashad Vaughn. Hopefully he’s got connections there....

Akeem Springs as well

Very solid hire for Richard. He got a raw deal being fired from UWM when he did. He had a couple decent teams during his tenure at UWM. Supposedly a really good recruiter so hopefully he can pick up where Kimani left off.

Very solid hire for Richard. He got a raw deal being fired from UWM when he did. He had a couple decent teams during his tenure at UWM. Supposedly a really good recruiter so hopefully he can pick up where Kimani left off.

Was he a casualty during their AD debacle where they refused postseason basketball and the team got very vocal? Or am I completely misremembering?

Looks like UNLV is “in on” a lot of 4 and 5 star kids for 2019 and a 4 star 2018 point guard and recruited Courtney Ramey at one point. Here’s hoping we can transfer some of that recruiting to Minnesota.

Sweet. So he can teach us the clutch, grab and trip defense right?

FWIW, I saw Jeter play a few games in college. He played at UW-Platteville under Bo Ryan - won a D3 National title in '91. Back then, Bo played a lot of up-tempo ball. UWP used to slap a press on teams, forced a ton of turnovers, and ran teams off the court. Were really fun to watch.

If you don't know, Jeter's dad is Bob Jeter, who played RB at Iowa but became a CB for the Packers during the Lombardi years. Bob would come to UW Platteville games wearing his Super Bowl rings. I talked to him a couple times - nice guy.

He had some pretty tough teams for a while there. A lot on the back of a player named Peters(?) but such is life in low major basketball.

Wonder how much having Springs on the team last year was an influence on this hire?

Good hire: a protege of Bo Ryan and a former head coach with a lot of experience in the game. Hopefully, he can help a lot with in-game coaching and, if Pitino gets fired after this year, we won't have to look very far for a potential replacement.

Love this hire. He has a MUCH more impressive coaching record than Kimani did, so hopefully this helps from a preparation, scouting, and adjustment standpoint.

Maybe we can even sign a Wisconsin kid for once as well.

Love this hire. He has a MUCH more impressive coaching record than Kimani did, so hopefully this helps from a preparation, scouting, and adjustment standpoint.

And doesn't carry with him significant baggage.

You forget our high jump champ we recruited from Rice Lake a few years back... [emoji41]
That being said, I like this hire.

A Midwest guy, I am sure they all have connections nationally as far as recruiting goes but I wonder if they will put more emphasis on recruiting the Midwest as apposed to the East coast.

I went to check the numbers since it seems like Pitino hasn’t recruited Wisconsin very heavily.

According to 247, we’ve offered 6 Wisconsin kids in the 2014-2018 classes: Tyrese Haliburton, Jordan McCabe, Terrance Lewis, Henry Ellenson, Riley LaChance, and Sandy Cohen. Cohen and Ellenson went to Marquette, Lewis and Haliburton to Iowa State, LaChance to Vanderbilt, and McCabe to West Virginia. Ellenson was the only one with a Badger offer.

We also offered Nick Fuller, Bronson Koenig, and Matt Thomas in 2013, but I think those were all Tubby offers. Hell even Henry Ellenson was a Tubby offer I think, and I don’t recall if Pitino pursued him hard or not.

A Midwest guy, I am sure they all have connections nationally as far as recruiting goes but I wonder if they will put more emphasis on recruiting the Midwest as apposed to the East coast.

Personally I really hope that's the case.

I went to check the numbers since it seems like Pitino hasn’t recruited Wisconsin very heavily.

According to 247, we’ve offered 6 Wisconsin kids in the 2014-2018 classes: Tyrese Haliburton, Jordan McCabe, Terrance Lewis, Henry Ellenson, Riley LaChance, and Sandy Cohen. Cohen and Ellenson went to Marquette, Lewis and Haliburton to Iowa State, LaChance to Vanderbilt, and McCabe to West Virginia. Ellenson was the only one with a Badger offer.

We also offered Nick Fuller, Bronson Koenig, and Matt Thomas in 2013, but I think those were all Tubby offers. Hell even Henry Ellenson was a Tubby offer I think, and I don’t recall if Pitino pursued him hard or not.

Interesting- thanks for the research, we've offered more Wisconsin kids than I had remembered.

For whatever reason we just haven't had success landing them. Hopefully Jeter can help change that.

Seems like a good hire. This guy, Conroy and Johnson make a pretty strong staff.

Las Vegas Sun: Assistant basketball coach Rob Jeter leaving UNLV for Minnesota

Jeter was hired as part of Marvin Menzies’ original staff at UNLV during the 2016 offseason. He had spent the previous 11 years as the head coach at Milwaukee, compiling a record of 184-170 with two trips to the NCAA tournament before being fired following the 2015-16 season.

Under Menzies, Jeter had a hand in recruiting several players from the upper Midwest area, including Jordan Johnson (who he coached at Milwaukee), Ben Coupet and Zion Morgan. Jeter also played a big role in bringing senior point guard Noah Robotham to UNLV as a transfer last offseason.

Menzies did not respond to a request for comment.

Jeter was paid $250,000 per year at UNLV, but there has been no word yet on the terms of his contract with Minnesota. Kimani Young, a former assistant at Minnesota who left last week for UConn, made $185,000 last year.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/apr/09/assistant-coach-rob-jeter-leaving-unlv-for-minneso/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom