PJ Fleck Interview on Sports Huddle 4-8-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Sunday morning. (as I type this it is snowing like heck in SW MN......)

Fleck could not appear live. They ran a taped interview with Sid. (the taped interviews, for whatever reason, Fleck tends to give shorter answers.)

Sid: difference in Spring practice this year compared to last year.
PJ: this year it's more competitive. more jobs are up for grabs. we're better at running systems - offense, defense, special teams. had a good practice today - the best we've had all spring. the team is figuring it out.

Sid: the red-shirts are making a contribution?
PJ: tremendous. And, we'll add 18 FR this fall who will help.

Sid: what about the 7 players who came in early (SQotW). Will they play?
PJ: we'll find out in training camp. competition is going to be very tight

Sid: any individual players stood out so far?
PJ: not in particular

Sid: what about QBs?
PJ: really happy right now, and I'm happy about where we're headed in the future

Sid: you like the RS QB? (Morgan)
PJ: I like him a lot. he's smart, intelligent. showing tremendous leadership. But Zach (Annexstad) has come along strong. he's been here 6 months, but it looks like he's been here 5 years. And Vic gives us a different dimension.

Sid: So you like the RS QB?
PJ: I like them all

Sid: how about moving Green to another position - how's that working out?
PJ: it's been a great move. you can see him smiling at practice. you're seeing his natural ability, instincts. he still has a lot to learn.

Sid: good to have Winfield and Douglas back?
PJ: these guys will be tremendous players. they've had great springs

Sid: OL situation better than last year
PJ: we have more bodies. very competitive. Coach Callahan making huge strides with line - in their demeanor and assignments.

Sid: can you replace Richardson?
PJ: not easy. But we have to be able to find people who can play to that ability, and in the future, even exceed that ability. we need guys to step up. Some of the FR may have to play

Sid: (live) they didn't raise ticket prices. Murray's certificate.

If you're reading the tea leaves, it's interesting that he listed the QB's in that order - Morgan, Annexstad and Viramontes.

Something to watch for the Spring game - who plays and how much.

Morgan has a year in the system ahead of the other two. Sounds like any of the 3 could win the job. Might be easier to win it than to keep it.

Thanks shorty.

If you're reading the tea leaves, it's interesting that he listed the QB's in that order - Morgan, Annexstad and Viramontes.

Thanks for listening and writing it all down again. I appreciate it.

If they are actually playing a game and drafting teams then the QBs will all play quite a bit I'd think. How well is the question. The fourth string kid looked pretty decent too.

We know PJ likes Morgan. Beyond that it's hard to evaluate based on what he says because it changes. The constant has been praising Morgan but he did that for Rhoda too and then all of a sudden Demry came back from sabbatical and Rhoda never ever played again. Rhoda obviously didn't get beat out because Croft was not on the team for a few weeks. Now Green has gone from never ever talked about to Humanitarian of the Year for switching positions, which was decided last fall imo. I definitely did not see Green as the worst QB of the group in my opportunity to watch....so it wasn't performance from what I saw.
I don't know if Vic has an attitude or what but PJ loves to to take subtle jabs at him or ignore him. Zack gets 100X more love, Morgan 1000x. Vic is clearly the best runner if that enters the equation at all. I know you don't coach them all the same but there is definitely contrast in how he handles his now ? three QB's.
It will be interesting to see how they perform because you'd think they will all play quite a bit in the spring game.

"I don't know if Vic has an attitude or what but PJ loves to to take subtle jabs at him or ignore him."

Thanks Son, appreciate you taking the time doing this. Not sure what to make of the above comment by 60's Guy.

The way I see it is this: Morgan has the most experience in the system, and thus runs it the best. Annexstad is the best passer, and has surprised everyone with how quickly he is catching onto the system. Viramontes is the best runner, which is a very important part of the system that the other two don't do as well, but he's 3rs in terms of understanding and running the system.

Now this is all just conjecture from the statements and info people have posted online, as I haven't gone to the practices or anything. They all have a different key part of running the system, understanding, passing, or running, so they are all staying competitive with each other. We'll just have to see how they change in more game-like conditions (spring game) and through more practice (rest of spring, and summer/fall practice).

So basically, I think it's a toss up with maybe a lean toward Morgan

My tea leaves (you young punks probably have no idea what that is) tell me Zach may win the job (based on what PJ is saying). Judging by Vic's videos, I thought he would be the starter from Day 1. BUT, like watching Jelly (in BB) or all those receivers from a few years ago (Gentry et al), videos sure can be deceiving.

I expect what we see on the QBs next Saturday will change by opening day. I think we will be much better than expected. Zack would not surprise me as a starter either. I'm more worried about the OL although optimistic. Youth will be well represented this year on the field.

Annexstad is the best passer

Is this just your opinion? I haven't heard this that much or that it's an obvious difference between him and Morgan.

If our oline is bad VV might have the edge with his running ability.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I thought it was best to RS all FR, because we want to build for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this just your opinion? I haven't heard this that much or that it's an obvious difference between him and Morgan.

If our oline is bad VV might have the edge with his running ability.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere saying he had better accuracy or something, but I could be mistaken.

Reading between the lines my takeaway is we may not have a world beater ready to explode on the scene just yet. He’s praised all of them in different ways but obviously Morgan has been around his culture and system longer which on a Fleck-led team gives him a certain advantage.

The deeper we get into spring or certainly summer without a clear leader being named the more concerned I get we may be in for a rough ride again.

Of course the other obvious possibility is he’s using the “they’re all great” comments to keep the pressure on to get better. But, that doesn’t seem like his style - seems like he is effusively praiseful of guys he really likes. Like PJ himself has said, until they get into real games it’s hard to really know who will handle it best. Vic in particular may be a better QB in game situations than underwear drills due to his escapability factor.

We need all three QBs to be competitively good.

Twelve games is a long season in the B1G.

Look at what happened at Michigan in 2017 when they cycled through three QBs. Wilton Speight went down with an injury replaced by John Okorn who in turn got replaced by Brandon Peters. Anything can happen.

We need all three QBs to be competitively good.

Twelve games is a long season in the B1G.

Look at what happened at Michigan in 2017 when they cycled through three QBs. Wilton Speight went down with an injury replaced by John Okorn who in turn got replaced by Brandon Peters. Anything can happen.

Yep, but they’re also lobbying to get Shea Patterson a waiver on the requirement he sit a year which tells you what they think of their other QBs. Outside of a few helmet schools it’s unlikely to have numerous difference-maker types stacked up at the QB position. Then again, it’s always possible we have an embarrassment of riches at QB but the odds are against that. So you’re telling me there’s a chance...

When does this happen?

Sid: you like the RS QB? (Morgan)
PJ: I like him a lot. he's smart, intelligent. showing tremendous leadership. But Zach (Annexstad) has come along strong. he's been here 6 months, but it looks like he's been here 5 years. And Vic gives us a different dimension.

One is smart, intelligent, and a leader.
One looks like he has been in this system for years.
One gives a different dimension.

This is kinda like saying, "Suzy is HOT, and fun; I haven't known Becky as long, but am really starting to like her; and Jane, she has a nice personality.

Not a shot at Jane, but certainly a subtle jab.

Correctly so.

QB Star ratings are advertised potentials. You don't know for most what you are getting and whether they can achieve the desired victories. Look at the QB situation at Michigan. There's a reason why they are trying to get Ole Miss transfer Shea Patterson (2016 4 Star 0.9982) eligible to play with out sitting out 2018.

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-100-wins-nfl-shea-patterson

Harbaugh doesn't thing the current stable of QBs will get Michigan to level of wins he wants to achieve.

2013 John Okorn 3 Star 0.8594 (Transferred to Michigan after 2014 season)
2014 Wilton Speight 3 Star 0.8764
2015 Zach Gentry 4 Star 0.9245
2015 Alex Malzone 4 Star 0.8984
2016 Brandon Peters 4 Star 0.9684
2017 Dylan McCaffrey 4 Star 0.9435

On a lower echelon level, the Gophers have the same quandary. Until their QBs actually play games, we don't know how good they are going to be.

The deeper we get into spring or certainly summer without a clear leader being named the more concerned I get we may be in for a rough ride again.

Fleck has said several times that it'll be an open competition going into the fall. I'm not sure why you'd expect a clear leader to be named prior to that.

Until proven otherwise, assume the QB play will be below average. Fleck really needs to sign the kid from Iowa next year.

Coach Callahan making huge strides with line - in their demeanor and assignments.

This is a shot a Warriner, yes?

Thanks SON. It's 90 degrees in Phoenix and no clouds. Decent.

I saw all of one practice that was open so who knows what they were really showing but ... I'm not surprised.

I did a lot of "Huh, that was Annexstad?"

But who knows what they're really showing / testing in an open practice.

My interpretation is:

1. Annexstad is a student of the game. Knows he needs to outwit to win the job.
2. Morgan will probably win the job.
3. Subtle jab at Vic to keep him motivated. Need to keep knocking down any ego is there until he fully embraces the system.

I believe Morgan is as good as advertised. That is pretty good. I also expect he will be #3 by the time the conference schedule hits. That is a good situation for us.

Thanks for listening and writing it all down again. I appreciate it.

If they are actually playing a game and drafting teams then the QBs will all play quite a bit I'd think. How well is the question. The fourth string kid looked pretty decent too.

We know PJ likes Morgan. Beyond that it's hard to evaluate based on what he says because it changes. The constant has been praising Morgan but he did that for Rhoda too and then all of a sudden Demry came back from sabbatical and Rhoda never ever played again. Rhoda obviously didn't get beat out because Croft was not on the team for a few weeks. Now Green has gone from never ever talked about to Humanitarian of the Year for switching positions, which was decided last fall imo. I definitely did not see Green as the worst QB of the group in my opportunity to watch....so it wasn't performance from what I saw.
I don't know if Vic has an attitude or what but PJ loves to to take subtle jabs at him or ignore him. Zack gets 100X more love, Morgan 1000x. Vic is clearly the best runner if that enters the equation at all. I know you don't coach them all the same but there is definitely contrast in how he handles his now ? three QB's.
It will be interesting to see how they perform because you'd think they will all play quite a bit in the spring game.

It sure must be depressing to live in your world. Everything has a such a negative spin or is made up upon the worst case scenario. Last season you only had a choice between a couple of QB’s that had not been able to work their way onto the field for a years. Of course he is not going to trash them. This year you have 3 serviceable looking college QB’s without experience under the big lights. When asked to comment on each of them, what is he supposed to say! We all know Morgan has more experience in the system, Zack is very driven or he wouldn’t have walked on instead of getting a scholarship elsewhere nor won the starting job at a football factory and Vic is a stud athlete. Pointing out Vic’s ability with his feet is in no way a jab or criticism of his ability to play QB! Several GH “experts” want to read so much out of nothing. Was it criticism of RB’s of Brooks or Williams when coach have said that they are a change of pace from Smith?

Yep, but they’re also lobbying to get Shea Patterson a waiver on the requirement he sit a year which tells you what they think of their other QBs. Outside of a few helmet schools it’s unlikely to have numerous difference-maker types stacked up at the QB position. Then again, it’s always possible we have an embarrassment of riches at QB but the odds are against that. So you’re telling me there’s a chance...

Under what conditions can you obtain a waiver to not have to observe the requirement to sit a year?

I had it in my head that it was Vic’s job to lose. But I was way off.

Thanks for the recap Short.

I had it in my head that it was Vic’s job to lose. But I was way off.

Thanks for the recap Short.
I'm not so sure about that. I find it hard to believe that they are going to be starting walk-on freshmen week 1. My money is still on Vic when all is said and done.

I believe Morgan is as good as advertised. That is pretty good. I also expect he will be #3 by the time the conference schedule hits. That is a good situation for us.

Man "pretty good" would be a crazy big improvement

I was so worried about post Mitch... and then it happened. I'll settle for just "ok" at this point, but I've no idea what to expect. It is so hard to know just getting a bit of news from practices how capable anyone really is when it comes to gameday.

Fleck has said several times that it'll be an open competition going into the fall. I'm not sure why you'd expect a clear leader to be named prior to that.

Like I alluded to in my post, if we get into the game week practices and Fleck says he knows the starter but will not name them for strategic/secrecy reasons that’s one thing, but if there’s a repeat of last year and they’re going to split time that’s a little more foreboding. It doesn’t mean we’re doomed, but in my experience it means things may not be as rosy as we hoped.

Top Bottom