PJ Fleck Interview on Sports Huddle 4-8-18

It sure must be depressing to live in your world. Everything has a such a negative spin or is made up upon the worst case scenario. Last season you only had a choice between a couple of QB’s that had not been able to work their way onto the field for a years. Of course he is not going to trash them. This year you have 3 serviceable looking college QB’s without experience under the big lights. When asked to comment on each of them, what is he supposed to say! We all know Morgan has more experience in the system, Zack is very driven or he wouldn’t have walked on instead of getting a scholarship elsewhere nor won the starting job at a football factory and Vic is a stud athlete. Pointing out Vic’s ability with his feet is in no way a jab or criticism of his ability to play QB! Several GH “experts” want to read so much out of nothing. Was it criticism of RB’s of Brooks or Williams when coach have said that they are a change of pace from Smith?

Says the guy lashing out. What did he say that was so upsetting? That PJ’s not giving VV much love at this point? I’d agree but I’m not sure the talk is intentional, and if it is whether it has anything/everything/partially to do with on the field stuff (or off the field stuff).

Under what conditions can you obtain a waiver to not have to observe the requirement to sit a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe their argument is something along the lines of the Univ of Miss coaches lied during their recruitiment as per the extent/severity of sanctions, investigations, etc going on.

Like I alluded to in my post, if we get into the game week practices and Fleck says he knows the starter but will not name them for strategic/secrecy reasons that’s one thing, but if there’s a repeat of last year and they’re going to split time that’s a little more foreboding. It doesn’t mean we’re doomed, but in my experience it means things may not be as rosy as we hoped.

Wait, your post wasn't a shot at PJ?

Says the guy lashing out. What did he say that was so upsetting? That PJ’s not giving VV much love at this point? I’d agree but I’m not sure the talk is intentional, and if it is whether it has anything/everything/partially to do with on the field stuff (or off the field stuff).

Ok, so I may have over reacted, but it is the consistent second guessing of what PJ says and turning it into criticism. The coach just gave out a few positive sound bites and that turns into that we don’t have any good QB’s and Vic is being criticized by the coach. And of course that becomes the story line of other posters. Absolutely not true!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, so I may have over reacted, but it is the consistent second guessing of what PJ says and turning it into criticism. The coach just gave out a few positive sound bites and that turns into that we don’t have any good QB’s and Vic is being criticized by the coach. And of course that becomes the story line of other posters. Absolutely not true!

with all due respect, I think you're over-reacting. As I said originally, I thought it was interesting that Fleck discussed the QB's in that order: Morgan 1st, Annexstad 2nd and Vic V 3rd. Now, that might mean nothing - or it might indicate where the depth chart is right now. Of course, that can and probably will change before the 1st game of the regular season.

But, strictly as a snapshot of where the coach may be at right now, I found it interesting that Annexstad - a walk-on - was mentioned second and praised by the coach, while Vic V (who some posters had ordained the starter on the day he signed) was mentioned 3rd, and the coach had the least to say about him.

Maybe it means nothing. Maybe Fleck is putting up a smokescreen - or maybe Vic V is finding the transition from JUCO to a major D1 conference to be more challenging that some thought.

Does NOT mean that "we don't have any good QB's."

It's just that, with so many closed practices and such little news about how practice is going, the coach's comments are one possible indication on where the QB position is going.

We won’t know if any of the QBs are any good for quite some time. I sort of enjoy reading into what the coaches say because most of them are so good at saying nothing. In listening to PJs press conferences, starting day 1 and going into the signing day pressers and the postgame, BTN interviews he sometimes gives clues on players by what he says and doesn’t say. Could we be way off? Absolutely.

So, once again is anyone going to give their practice impressions, or...

I'm not so sure about that. I find it hard to believe that they are going to be starting walk-on freshmen week 1. My money is still on Vic when all is said and done.

Baker Mayfield says hello.

I think I just passed out at the thought of the Gophers having a Baker Mayfield on the roster.

The thing is that he's not just a wak on...he had a lot of offers including some P5. Kid obviously has talent. You don't start games at IMG without being able to play. I think all the coaches are surprised that a freshman QB, any freshman QB for that matter is doing so well with being on campus such a short time.must be a smart kid, that's good for a QB!

with all due respect, I think you're over-reacting. As I said originally, I thought it was interesting that Fleck discussed the QB's in that order: Morgan 1st, Annexstad 2nd and Vic V 3rd. Now, that might mean nothing - or it might indicate where the depth chart is right now. Of course, that can and probably will change before the 1st game of the regular season.

But, strictly as a snapshot of where the coach may be at right now, I found it interesting that Annexstad - a walk-on - was mentioned second and praised by the coach, while Vic V (who some posters had ordained the starter on the day he signed) was mentioned 3rd, and the coach had the least to say about him.

Maybe it means nothing. Maybe Fleck is putting up a smokescreen - or maybe Vic V is finding the transition from JUCO to a major D1 conference to be more challenging that some thought.

Does NOT mean that "we don't have any good QB's."

It's just that, with so many closed practices and such little news about how practice is going, the coach's comments are one possible indication on where the QB position is going.

It could be they weren't expecting ZA to pick it up so fast so they are impressed, VV is exactly what they thought he was, so they are excited about ZA whether or not he's actually ahead of anybody.

Kind of like when you see a movie you think will suck and it turns out to be decent you hype it up, but when you see a movie you think will be decent and it is you don't hype it up.

I just hope we have a starter at the start of fall camp so we don't go through the same BS we did last year (which I think hurt the overall offensive play).

If you try to figure out where the QBs sit today, the spring game drafting appears that Morgan may have been drafted second to either Annexstad or VV. We should have some clues after Saturday, but we don't know much until opening day and that is OK. Maybe until the conference schedule begins.

Baker Mayfield says hello.

I think I just passed out at the thought of the Gophers having a Baker Mayfield on the roster.

So you have an N of 1, and that one only exists because the projected starter suffered a season-long back injury during fall camp.

...But, strictly as a snapshot of where the coach may be at right now, I found it interesting that Annexstad - a walk-on - was mentioned second and praised by the coach, while Vic V (who some posters had ordained the starter on the day he signed) was mentioned 3rd, and the coach had the least to say about him.

Maybe it means nothing. Maybe Fleck is putting up a smokescreen - or maybe Vic V is finding the transition from JUCO to a major D1 conference to be more challenging that some thought....

Well Annexstad has also been their best recruiter...:cool:

Not surprised PJ wasn't live on Sunday. He was running Goldy's Run. He did a good job too, ran a 24:03 5K! Excellent time, esp for a cold morning.

So you have an N of 1, and that one only exists because the projected starter suffered a season-long back injury during fall camp.

Those are good facts. And I'm not quite sure what your point is. I never said the N was 5 or 10 or 100, nor did I provide a commentary on why Baker Mayfield became a walk-on freshman starter. I simply stated that he was.

For the record, I consider it unlikely in the extreme that ZA will be our starter in game 1. And a Baker Mayfield doesn't walk in the door very often.

Not surprised PJ wasn't live on Sunday. He was running Goldy's Run. He did a good job too, ran a 24:03 5K! Excellent time, esp for a cold morning.

I'm going to assume that you're joking - about the excellent time part, I mean.

I'm going to assume that you're joking - about the excellent time part, I mean.

Basically an 8-minute mile in a 3-mile race. Not great. I get the feeling PJ is more of a sprinter than a distance runner though.

Basically an 8-minute mile in a 3-mile race. Not great. I get the feeling PJ is more of a sprinter than a distance runner though.

I don't think the coach's objective was a fast time or even a good work-out. I suspect he was more interested in having a good time while acknowledging and interacting with lots of people. Actually, if he spent some time jogging along with a rich booster, I think his time was beyond excellent.:)

I don't think the coach's objective was a fast time or even a good work-out. I suspect he was more interested in having a good time while acknowledging and interacting with lots of people. Actually, if he spent some time jogging along with a rich booster, I think his time was beyond excellent.:)
Certainly wasn't a prefontaine pace.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Basically an 8-minute mile in a 3-mile race. Not great. I get the feeling <b>PJ is more of a sprinter than a distance runner though.</b>

Yep. We get to see that 3 times every game now.

Top Bottom