2019 PWO Commitments

Last edited:

The Gophers re-invigorated the PWO program. The PWO bylines are what is exciting to watch. Who will become the next Blake Cashman?

Looks like he could be a real steal - amazing PWO talent we have coming in these days.

Will the shut down inadvertently help the PWOs who are really hungry to succeed and are disciplined enough to put in all the hard work on their own?

PJ Fleck awarding three scholarships all at once to Axel Ruschmeyer, John Santaga, and Peter Udoibok is unprecedented. This is a testament to how seriously committed the Gophers are to the PWO program. Recruits who want to become Gophers must be noticing.

It is even more important now with the advent of the transfer portal to take care of PWO players who have contributed a lot.

PJF awarded a scholarship to John Santaga who is an all around utility player who goes about his business helping the team in many ways. These are the unsung heroes of a football team. It is not all about the superstars. The supporting cast is important. Awarding a scholarship to Casey O'Brien was touching. He embodies the spirit of what it means to be a Gopher. I think this is a great thing Gopher Football is doing.

Could Nick Guggemos be one of those kids? I wish him luck.

Last edited:

Udoibok wasn't really a PWO. He was a Maroon Shirt. Meaning, Fleck promised him a scholarship, on a one year delay.

Santaga is a walk-on QB that will never see the field at that position, but glad his various utility player attributes and worksmanship attitude are being rewarded!

Udoibok wasn't really a PWO. He was a Maroon Shirt. Meaning, Fleck promised him a scholarship, on a one year delay.

Santaga is a walk-on QB that will never see the field at that position, but glad his various utility player attributes and workmanship attitude are being rewarded!

Yes, that was my understanding that he delays enrolling in classes until Winter 2019, then he got awarded his scholarship for 2020. So, in essence only two legitimate PWOs were awarded a scholarship.

Last edited:

I think he enrolled early for last spring, on his own dime. So he can get his scholarship a calendar year later, hence being awarded starting this spring semester.

I think he enrolled early for last spring, on his own dime. So he can get his scholarship a calendar year later, hence being awarded starting this spring semester.

Didn't Logan Richter do the same a year earlier?

My understanding is Richter was a true Gray Shirt. Meaning he delayed enrollment by a year. Don’t know if that means he had to work on grades, family couldn’t afford a year on their own dime, or what the deal was there.

The Gophers are showing how strong their developmental program PWOs & scholies. PJ FLeck treats PWOs and scholies the same way. They have to earn their starting spots.

Watching players like Boye Mafe and Sam Renner game performance reminds me it does take a couple of years in the program to develop these guys into potential four star players.

We see glimpses of the success of the developmental program in the PSU and Auburn games. These are teams loaded with four star players that the Gophers defeated.

Maybe, we can finally have real team depth. There is a lot to be optimistic about GOpher Football in spite of the current health crisis.

Top Bottom