Minnesota is looking to take lead in college football’s push to end sexual assault

Sorry, man. I love holding people accountable for their behavior. And schools are a great place for it to happen. The opportunity for their fellow students to learn from it is priceless. If a school gets it wrong every once in awhile that is a shame but it can't be helped. Schools, public institutions, and private organizations can't function without the ability to hold their students, employees, or members accountable for their misconduct.

All for holding people accountable, but when it comes to holding the people who make those decisions accountable we’ll give them a pass? Same with the institutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, a lot of this is tied to alcohol use.

You get kids away from home for the first time, away from parental supervision. Throw them in a situation where they're interacting with lots of members of the opposite sex (or the same sex for the LGBTQ students). Then, add alcohol to the mix, and kids are going to do things, or experiment with things, they might not try otherwise.

The real issue - and yes, it's incredibly difficult - is to figure out the difference between different categories. Was this a consensual situation that got out of hand - a misunderstanding - people misreading signals - or was there intent to commit sexual assault - or at the very least, intent to take sexual advantage of an inexperienced or intoxicated person/partner.

I agree - if sexual assault or sexual misconduct is taking place, identify it and hand out appropriate punishment.

BUT - I do not want to see basically good kids punished too severely for a misunderstanding, or a drunken hook-up where one person has regrets the day after.

There needs to be different levels of offenses, and different levels of punishment. Ranging from expulsion to awareness programs.

Somebody has to draw the line. But who draws the line, and where do you draw it?

Cruze would draw a very different line than I would. I don't think either one of us is qualified to draw that line.
The line?
Clearly the line is Amish style courtship... [emoji127]

All for holding people accountable, but when it comes to holding the people who make those decisions accountable we’ll give them a pass? Same with the institutions?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree with you more. If you are a regular visitor to the OT Board you might know I am one of the biggest critics of the lack of accountability for cops and prosecutors who routinely exceed their authority in arresting, prosecuting, and sometimes killing innocent people. If only the numerous GopherHole critics of the U's student disciplinary process were as critical of the criminal justice system in America it might begin to change for the better. Pompous got it wrong when he said too many people believe women are "God-like beings and unassailable". He would have been far more correct if he had said "cops" rather than "women".

There is no doubt we all have to be vigilant about how the U administers its' student disciplinary process. The ability to permanently damage a student's reputation and future is not anything to take lightly. However, the available evidence indicates the U has one best and fairest processes of any college in the country. I would expect nothing less from Minnesota's flagship university.

Their website is unfortunately full of propaganda. You want to know where the 2% false reporting stat comes from? It was from a book written in 70s by a women’s rights advocate. It revolves around an anecdote related to her about how a judge in NYC once mentioned to a group he/she (there is no actual written report of this by the actual source) was addressing stated he/she felt the false false reporting rate was 2%. Obviously there are many other studies placing the false reporting rate considerably higher.

Data from the U’s own EOAA related that approximately a third of allegations weee ultimately dismissed. Considering the low preporance standard one must assume there were text/video/call evidence that supported the accused.

So, we literally have an movement built on a demonstrably false assertion. Obviously nobody supports sexual assault. But, like water boarding suspected terrorists, a means to an end is not always justified

[emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547][emoji1547]
Don’t let them shout you down. Great points.[emoji1531][emoji1531][emoji1531]

So are we still going to pretend the players that were kicked out of school did nothing wrong??

Don’t think anyone has ever said that. Are we going to pretend the 5 who were cleared of everything didn’t have harm put to their name and missed playing in a game for no reason considering they were cleared?

I couldn't agree with you more. If you are a regular visitor to the OT Board you might know I am one of the biggest critics of the lack of accountability for cops and prosecutors who routinely exceed their authority in arresting, prosecuting, and sometimes killing innocent people. If only the numerous GopherHole critics of the U's student disciplinary process were as critical of the criminal justice system in America it might begin to change for the better. Pompous got it wrong when he said too many people believe women are "God-like beings and unassailable". He would have been far more correct if he had said "cops" rather than "women".

There is no doubt we all have to be vigilant about how the U administers its' student disciplinary process. The ability to permanently damage a student's reputation and future is not anything to take lightly. However, the available evidence indicates the U has one best and fairest processes of any college in the country. I would expect nothing less from Minnesota's flagship university.

When the activists engage in circular logic such as...accusers are only lying or misremembering 2% of the time therefore there is little to no need for due process..this is an example of harmful thinking.

There is simply no need to rely on false statistics or faulty vocabulary to promote rape awareness and call for better resources for victims. Rape is an awful thing. I have a daughter, and a son, and am concerned for both as they navigate life - it is worrisome others are not.

Those that continue to rely on clearly false data (also known as propaganda) in an attempt to prop up an agenda (oftentimes with underlying political undertones - this happens on both ends of the spectrum) are rightly called extremists. It’s quite amazing they cannot recognize this in themselves. Frat17 is a clear example of this - future politician? Current frat Prez...?

This is the problem.
#WSM

I think people confuse not accepting to blindly believe accusations with a "rush" to defend sexual assault.

Nonetheless, the university should have ZERO authority in criminal matters. Let the legal system do its work, the university ought to remain neutral.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

I think people confuse not accepting to blindly believe accusations with a "rush" to defend sexual assault.

I think people just find it easier to make different points of view sound absurd.... so they feel better about their own.

Nonetheless, the university should have ZERO authority in criminal matters. Let the legal system do its work, the university ought to remain neutral.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

+1

To be clear - I was saying Frat's viewpoint, and not what Frat said, is the problem.

I think people just find it easier to make different points of view sound absurd.... so they feel better about their own.

I think that people blindly believe these types of accusations because they are so worried about what someone else might think of them if they question them.

I think that people blindly believe these types of accusations because they are so worried about what someone else might think of them if they question them.

Ding, ding, ding. Most people just want to keep their heads down, not risk their jobs, their social circle, etc. Even university professors with a liberal background have become the targets of bullying and protest.

The rise of social media has really given a platform to the loons. At some point the pendulum will swing.

Does anyone realize that Title IX was created under strictly male & female parameters? There were two opposing views and 1:2 probability of adequate resolution of conflict.

Under current campus sexual politics we have LGBTQIA parameters and a 1:8 probability of adequate resolution of a conflict.

Men have gone from 50% chance of being "convicted" of improper sexual behavior to an 87.5% chance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great! Nice job, Gophers.

Now- how about winning some damn ball games?

Top Bottom