Minnesota is looking to take lead in college football’s push to end sexual assault

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FootballScoop:

Minnesota’s spring game is next Saturday, and the Gophers are making a significant and intentional effort to put as much focus as possible on the program’s efforts to reduce sexual assault on campus.

The program announced it has partnered with It Ends Here, a student-led organization working to promote and enforce sexual assault policies on campus. Among It Ends Here’s key tenants, according to its website, include: holding perpetrators accountable, promoting consent and healthy relationships, believing survivors and working to include historically excluded voices.

In addition to having student body president Trish Palermo speak to the team about It Ends Here this week, Minnesota players will wear It Ends Here shirts to the game, don It Ends Here decals on their helmets and carry It Ends Here oars onto the field to begin the game. The game itself will include a number of It Ends Here-themed promotions during the game, including educational videos on the scoreboard.

http://footballscoop.com/news/minne...ege-footballs-push-end-sexual-assault-campus/

Go Gophers!!

per FootballScoop:

Minnesota’s spring game is next Saturday, and the Gophers are making a significant and intentional effort to put as much focus as possible on the program’s efforts to reduce sexual assault on campus.

The program announced it has partnered with It Ends Here, a student-led organization working to promote and enforce sexual assault policies on campus. Among It Ends Here’s key tenants, according to its website, include: holding perpetrators accountable, promoting consent and healthy relationships, believing survivors and working to include historically excluded voices.

In addition to having student body president Trish Palermo speak to the team about It Ends Here this week, Minnesota players will wear It Ends Here shirts to the game, don It Ends Here decals on their helmets and carry It Ends Here oars onto the field to begin the game. The game itself will include a number of It Ends Here-themed promotions during the game, including educational videos on the scoreboard.

http://footballscoop.com/news/minne...ege-footballs-push-end-sexual-assault-campus/

Go Gophers!!

Two things:

1. Love the initiative to stop something that happens way too much.

2. But they're students. If you thought title 9 was unfair, just wait until the right type of students operate leadership.

And what power will they have? Just a social media account or will they influence investigations? Very interesting to see how this turns up.

Two things:

1. Love the initiative to stop something that happens way too much.

2. But they're students. If you thought title 9 was unfair, just wait until the right type of students operate leadership.

And what power will they have? Just a social media account or will they influence investigations? Very interesting to see how this turns up.

I mean the whole point it to reduce the number of investigations that need to happen. By educating the students, they are more likely to 1. Recognize any bad behavior they have, if any, and change it, and 2. Recognize when a friend or stranger is in a bad position, and step in.

One of the biggest things that comes out of these things, IMO, is bystander training. Many times these situations could be avoided if someone had stepped in and just said "Hey, you've had too much to drink, its time to go home" or "Hey, they've had too much to drink, you should back off". However if you don't know what to look for, or how to intervene, you may not be able to help.

EDIT: I read your post again. I think they probably won't influence investigations. They will most likely just be a group that goes around and spreads awareness/gives training to students.

Ending sexual assault is a worthy goal but it seems a little bit like the War on Drugs, War on Crime, War on Terrorism, or Nancy Reagan telling kids to just say no.

I am confident that until college kids become teetotalers and/or there is segregation of the sexes there will be nary a dent in the incidence of sexual assault. That, and I don’t want to see rights to real process and education thrown out the window on a misguided attempt to vilify what are in some cases what used to be considered normal if obnoxious behavior.

Ending sexual assault is a worthy goal but it seems a little bit like the War on Drugs, War on Crime, War on Terrorism, or Nancy Reagan telling kids to just say no.

I am confident that until college kids become teetotalers and/or there is segregation of the sexes there will be nary a dent in the incidence of sexual assault. That, and I don’t want to see rights to real process and education thrown out the window on a misguided attempt to vilify what are in some cases what used to be considered normal if obnoxious behavior.

I think it's good that they are proactively telling kids what obnoxious behavior is no longer acceptable while giving the female perspective of what the result of that behavior can cause.

We need to keep working to stop sexual assault and stop making excuses for it.

Who’s making excuses for it?

Face the facts, Face the Facts- this is about punitive action. It won’t prevent a thing unless enough students decide to not get tipsy or make bad decisions which is not the forte of many young people. The stuff about women being God-like beings and unassailable witnesses is simply stupid and demonstrably false.

Making sexual assault/harassment awareness part of the culture is a good thing, and will carry on with the players way after graduation.

Their website is unfortunately full of propaganda. You want to know where the 2% false reporting stat comes from? It was from a book written in 70s by a women’s rights advocate. It revolves around an anecdote related to her about how a judge in NYC once mentioned to a group he/she (there is no actual written report of this by the actual source) was addressing stated he/she felt the false false reporting rate was 2%. Obviously there are many other studies placing the false reporting rate considerably higher.

Data from the U’s own EOAA related that approximately a third of allegations weee ultimately dismissed. Considering the low preporance standard one must assume there were text/video/call evidence that supported the accused.

So, we literally have an movement built on a demonstrably false assertion. Obviously nobody supports sexual assault. But, like water boarding suspected terrorists, a means to an end is not always justified

Their website is unfortunately full of propaganda. You want to know where the 2% false reporting stat comes from? It was from a book written in 70s by a women’s rights advocate. It revolves around an anecdote related to her about how a judge in NYC once mentioned to a group he/she (there is no actual written report of this by the actual source) was addressing stated he/she felt the false false reporting rate was 2%. Obviously there are many other studies placing the false reporting rate considerably higher.

Data from the U’s own EOAA related that approximately a third of allegations weee ultimately dismissed. Considering the low preporance standard one must assume there were text/video/call evidence that supported the accused.

So, we literally have an movement built on a demonstrably false assertion. Obviously nobody supports sexual assault. But, like water boarding suspected terrorists, a means to an end is not always justified

Do you believe Sexual Harassment training in the Corporate Workplace has had no affect on the amount of Sexual Harassment that happens in the workplace? Because, barring everything else about false accusations and the way the U investigates and stuff, this is literally the same thing. Instead of training employees to recognize the signs of sexual harassment, we are training the students to recognize the signs of sexual assault. What is wrong with that?

<b>Making sexual assault/harassment awareness part of the culture is a good thing, </b>and will carry on with the players way after graduation.

It always has been part of the culture. You don't think other coaches bPJ have discussed this with their players? You don't think the U has required them to bring speakers in to talk about this for years now? The only difference now is that it is being marketed. Maybe there was some event that forced them to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It always has been part of the culture. You don't think other coaches bPJ have discussed this with their players? You don't think the U has required them to bring speakers in to talk about this for years now? The only difference now is that it is being marketed. Maybe there was some event that forced them to do that?

Here's a quote from this article related to sexual assault training being done bPJ (https://apnews.com/ade44b4e3cee4474b584cb906ca81928):

In an interview published Saturday in the St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://bit.ly/2jkbVdq ) in the wake of the football team’s sexual assault scandal, Kaler said student-athletes are already getting strong guidance on dealing with those issues.

“I think clearly we need to do both more and different (training), because our student-athletes get an exceptional amount of training around sexual assault and harassment issues, and yet we didn’t seem to make the point,” Kaler said.

All University of Minnesota students go through sexual assault-awareness education after enrolling that includes an online assessment and interactive presentations. The school’s roughly 750 student-athletes are also exposed to additional training and education conducted internally and through visiting presenters every year. All programs include a bystander education and intervention program developed by assistant athletics director Peyton Owens III.

So Kaler even admits that programs were already in place. Maybe they are doing more training now or they think they've found a better supplier of the training, but there was definitely training being done before. Maybe Coyle and Kaler should be under fire too, since they had more to do with the overall sexual assault training at the U than Claeys did?

PJ, the master marketer that he is though, is making sure the public knows about the steps being taken. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (good PR is good PR), but don't be naive and think this stuff wasn't already in place before PJ.

All in all, I'm glad PJ is having the players do this training. Being proactive is a good thing.

Do you believe Sexual Harassment training in the Corporate Workplace has had no affect on the amount of Sexual Harassment that happens in the workplace? Because, barring everything else about false accusations and the way the U investigates and stuff, this is literally the same thing. Instead of training employees to recognize the signs of sexual harassment, we are training the students to recognize the signs of sexual assault. What is wrong with that?

No, it’s not. When students are being trained to call something sexual assault that isn’t (in a legal sense) I’d say that’s misleading and potentially harmful.

Like I said, nobody supports sexual assault (or harassment). But, I dislike the disengenuousness of activists. On their agenda is to blackball any student that’s ever had an allegation (not a finding of guilt) at any other school, in high school, etc. because every accuser is telling the truth. Circular logic.

Like I said above, the EOAA found 17 of 48 investigated cases to not meet the preponderance standard...that’s troubling for activists. Sometimes the truth doesn’t cooperate.

No, it’s not. When students are being trained to call something sexual assault that isn’t (in a legal sense) I’d say that’s misleading and potentially harmful.

Like I said, nobody supports sexual assault (or harassment). But, I dislike the disengenuousness of activists. On their agenda is to blackball any student that’s ever had an allegation (not a finding of guilt) at any other school, in high school, etc. because every accuser is telling the truth. Circular logic.

Like I said above, the EOAA found 17 of 48 investigated cases to not meet the preponderance standard...that’s troubling for activists. Sometimes the truth doesn’t cooperate.

Here's the problem with the EOAA and their "always guilty" attitude. If one of PJ's football players finds himself in a relationship where both individuals become vocal/not physical in their final "date". Guess what? She complains, he's gone. Sad. Nothing he can do with a he said, she said situation. Only solution would be a) always double date - not sure date is the correct noun in today's society. B) have his phone recording any tenuous situation. And this is really sad for supposedly students at the U.

I think it's good that they are proactively telling kids what obnoxious behavior is no longer acceptable while giving the female perspective of what the result of that behavior can cause.

We need to keep working to stop sexual assault and stop making excuses for it.

I don't think I've heard anyone make an excuse for sexual assault in 21st century America, ever.

It Ends Here actually goes a step beyond the EOAA. The EOAA still investigates and apparently takes into consideration relevant evidence before pronouncing guilt.

I think the intent is admirable, best of luck to them.

I do worry about things I've seen where college mini justice systems are skewed and I'm concerned that a lot of the high profile initiatives really have no data to show that they've had an impact on the actual issue. There was someone awhile ago who was at the U giving a talk and the idea was something about "we need to good guys to tell the bad guys that it's not ok". I'm really not sure that is a thing, let alone helpful, but it seems to eat a lot of time and I worry helps shape policy that is then based on things that may have no impact. There are a lot of awareness type campaigns... I'm not sure if there is data to show they actually DO anything. In short I worry there's too much PR, not enough science to show what works to address these issues.

Who’s making excuses for it? Face the facts, Face the Facts- this is about punitive action. It won’t prevent a thing unless enough students decide to not get tipsy or make bad decisions which is not the forte of many young people. The stuff about women being God-like beings and unassailable witnesses is simply stupid and demonstrably false.

How will "enough students decide to not get tiipsy or make bad decisions" unless they are held accountable for their actions through enforcement of student codes of conduct?

Who said women are "God-like beings and unassailable?

How will "enough students decide to not get tiipsy or make bad decisions" unless they are held accountable for their actions through enforcement of student codes of conduct?

You and all but three others don't have a clue in this thread.

This is what you’re up against, students. What a time to be alive.

You and all but three others don't have a clue in this thread.

Sorry, man. I love holding people accountable for their behavior. And schools are a great place for it to happen. The opportunity for their fellow students to learn from it is priceless. If a school gets it wrong every once in awhile that is a shame but it can't be helped. Schools, public institutions, and private organizations can't function without the ability to hold their students, employees, or members accountable for their misconduct.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really looking for a downside here.

Sorry, man. I love holding people accountable for their behavior. And schools are a great place for it to happen. The opportunity for their fellow students to learn from it is priceless. If a school gets it wrong every once in awhile that is a shame but it can't be helped. Schools, public institutions, and private organizations can't function without the ability to hold their students, employees, or members accountable for their misconduct.
Scary stuff. Innocent people being expelled from school, getting their names tarnished for the rest of their life is worth it to "hold people accountable"?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Scary stuff. Innocent people being expelled from school, getting their names tarnished for the rest of their life is worth it to "hold people accountable"?

Hold your argument. Cruze has shown on here time and time again that he is the leader of pitchfork nation and has little interest in facts or if someone may actually be innocent. It is all about making a stand against something everyone is against - but doing it in a way that makes him feel he is fighting for those all others are slighting.

The rush to defend people accused of sexual assault always astounds me.

Anyway...

At worst this is good PR, at best this is good PR, the guys will get educated and can prevent bad things from happening

Time to make UMN a dry school. No alcohol, no dancing, no clothes that cause people to think about having sex. Require everyone to participate in the on-campus kingdom hall and know they will receive a scarlet letter if they even think a lustful thought. In the spirit of equity we will require all gender groups to follow this policy...no exceptions. (sarcasm)

This is an example of somebody who has a clue.

Anyway...

At worst this is good PR, at best this is good PR, the guys will get educated and can prevent bad things from happening

This is an example of somebody without a clue.

Anyway...

So let's rush to convict player's of wrongdoing despite no solid proof of it ever existed. Good call frat.

Really, a lot of this is tied to alcohol use.

You get kids away from home for the first time, away from parental supervision. Throw them in a situation where they're interacting with lots of members of the opposite sex (or the same sex for the LGBTQ students). Then, add alcohol to the mix, and kids are going to do things, or experiment with things, they might not try otherwise.

The real issue - and yes, it's incredibly difficult - is to figure out the difference between different categories. Was this a consensual situation that got out of hand - a misunderstanding - people misreading signals - or was there intent to commit sexual assault - or at the very least, intent to take sexual advantage of an inexperienced or intoxicated person/partner.

I agree - if sexual assault or sexual misconduct is taking place, identify it and hand out appropriate punishment.

BUT - I do not want to see basically good kids punished too severely for a misunderstanding, or a drunken hook-up where one person has regrets the day after.

There needs to be different levels of offenses, and different levels of punishment. Ranging from expulsion to awareness programs.

Somebody has to draw the line. But who draws the line, and where do you draw it?

Cruze would draw a very different line than I would. I don't think either one of us is qualified to draw that line.

Top Bottom