Jamir Harris Transferring

I suspect he will be, but, then again, my conception of "serviceable" has been defined downward by the Gaston and Bakary experience.

Haha. After Gas and BK, my definition of a "serviceable" big guy is a guy who can walk without falling down and catch a basketball. Not necessarily at the same time.

One of the spots needs to be taken by a point guard that will play this year. Not some combo guard, that can kinda bring it up the floor. Playing PG is more than being able to dribble it up the court.

This team needs 2 real PGs.

Anybody know who we are talking to, going after this spring to fill the three open spots? Doesn't seem like much talk about anybody? That I'm seeing anyway...247 has nothing...don't see much here other than Travis should move back home. :rolleyes:

Wishing the best of luck to Harris. I liked having him on the roster and one of favorite B1G moments this year was his play at Penn State where he was red hot. I agree that there should always be room for a kid that is smart, plays hard, and can shoot.
This is a chance to upgrade the guard position and get more size. Let’s see what the staff can do.

Anybody know who we are talking to, going after this spring to fill the three open spots? Doesn't seem like much talk about anybody? That I'm seeing anyway...247 has nothing...don't see much here other than Travis should move back home. :rolleyes:

Mentioned this in another thread, but is there usually a lot of talk of transfers before they commit? I don't remember much before Lynch, Fitzgerald or Stockman committed. I think there was some about Akeem, but not much.

FWIW, according to Doogie they have had conversations with the player (Rooney?) from South Dakota and Taylor from Evansville.

Whenever a player leaves I think it's very telling where he goes. Being that he was already in the BIG, if he goes to another high major I think that can indicate there was a problem here. But if he ends up going to a mid major or lower then there is a good possibility he was encouraged to leave or knew he'd never see significant playing time. Players who had a chance to be a significant contributor here do not go to lower divisions unless it was water finding it's own level.

You guys are nuts if you think Pitino is on the hot seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're right. He's not in the hot seat. He's in the fire.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Pitino is gone a year from now if they aren't at the very least a bubble team. Buyout goes from 4.1 to 2.7 I believe.. Coyle has made signature hires in football and hockey, my guess is he's starting to get that short list finalized.

I would really love a sincere argument as to how he isn't on the hot seat, and not just another petulant lashing-out post from you.

Assuming that he misses the Tournament again next year, that would be one in six years. That's not good enough at any power conference job. His predecessor was fired (with extreme prejudice) after three in six years. He also has a horrible Big Ten record, far worse than even Monson, who was dealing with sanctions.

I see no reasonable argument to keep him beyond next season without a Tournament appearance, and preferably even a win. You're whining based on your unfounded man-crush. The U can, will, and must do better. Pitino isn't good enough.

I see no reasonable argument to keep him beyond next season without a Tournament appearance, and preferably even a win. You're whining based on your unfounded man-crush. The U can, will, and must do better. Pitino isn't good enough.

Here's how I would counter that:

Ah...never mind; I've got nothing. (Although I would say that a decent conference performance with an NIT appearance might save him for another year)

I would really love a sincere argument as to how he isn't on the hot seat, and not just another petulant lashing-out post from you.

Assuming that he misses the Tournament again next year, that would be one in six years. That's not good enough at any power conference job. His predecessor was fired (with extreme prejudice) after three in six years. He also has a horrible Big Ten record, far worse than even Monson, who was dealing with sanctions.

From my perspective, there is no way they miss the tournament next year. I think he has had growing pains, but there has been progress (in more than just the record.. recruiting, player development, representing the program). We hired a coach early in his career, you need to give him more time than just another more experienced hire. I would tend to agree with you guys if we had hired an older MAC coach that obviously is going in the right direction. But Pitino has shown some strong glimpses of being a very good coach, you have to be more patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has failed to make even the NIT three times as often as he has had us in the dance. His one tournament appearance he wet the bed against a 12 seed (and before anyone tells me how underrated MTSU was, we were their only tournament win). If we aren't dancing next year, I certainly hope we look elsewhere.

You criticized me on another board for focusing too much on comparing a new coach's first year to the old coach's last. So if we instead compare full body of work, I would say Pitino's first six years are worse than the six years that got Tubby canned unless we go to the Sweet 16, win some Big Ten hardware (Big Ten championship or BTT championship), or finish ranked in one of the major polls in year six.

But hey, at least Pitino is high energy and doesn't look as disinterested as Tubby did sitting on his stool.

From my perspective, there is no way they miss the tournament next year. I think he has had growing pains, but there has been progress (in more than just the record.. recruiting, player development, representing the program). We hired a coach early in his career, you need to give him more time than just another more experienced hire. I would tend to agree with you guys if we had hired an older MAC coach that obviously is going in the right direction. But Pitino has shown some strong glimpses of being a very good coach, you have to be more patient.

There is no way they miss the tournament?

I don't mind optimism, but respectfully I don't know how anyone could say that with a straight face. What that is saying is you think the Gophers will definitely be better than 5 or 6 other Big 10 teams, the customary number of teams that make the NCAA Tournament. And that's without even knowing what the conefence schedule looks like.

Personally I think the NCAA is a possibility, but nowhere near a sure thing. There's only one team I have 100% confidence the Gophers will finish ahead of, Rutgers. I would tend to agree with CJBFBP. If the Gophers are solid next year (6-8 range), go to the NIT & have no off-court shenanigans embarrassing the school/program, seeing a Year 7 wouldn't be cause for fans going nuclear.

Harris seems like a good kid but I don't see how this is a bad thing. He was a small 1-dimensional SG that was going to continue to struggle to see playing time. Pitino now has the opportunity to add several players who can contribute at a higher level next year.

Our situation is similar to Nebraska's last year. Miles seat was red hot after losing 4 transfers prior to last season. He ended up reshaping his roster and having his best season at Nebraska. I think Pitino will do the same and make the dance next season.

Then why was he recruited, especially when there were better players available in our own backyard? (Rhetorical question; I know the answer.)

There is no way they miss the tournament?

I don't mind optimism, but respectfully I don't know how anyone could say that with a straight face. What that is saying is you think the Gophers will definitely be better than 5 or 6 other Big 10 teams, the customary number of teams that make the NCAA Tournament. And that's without even knowing what the conefence schedule looks like.

Personally I think the NCAA is a possibility, but nowhere near a sure thing. There's only one team I have 100% confidence the Gophers will finish ahead of, Rutgers.
I'm going in next year with low expectations... similar to two years ago even though you knew the 16-17 team was going to be night and day compared to the nightmare that was 15-16. Two years ago I figured Pitino was out if they didn't make big time improvements. Same deal this year now -- and I think Richard has to know that. After six years, you've done so much less than Tubby who got ran out of here. Richard has continued to recruit well which Tubby did not do towards the end but if it doesn't produce wins, you're still out.

Then why was he recruited, especially when there were better players available in our own backyard? (Rhetorical question; I know the answer.)

The recruitment of Harris never made a lot of sense to me.

Keep in mind Harris had an offer long before his name came up regularly in the Gopherhole recruiting thread. He wasn’t a last second desperation offer. We were pursuing a guard and a big for most of the 2017 recruiting cycle. We had Hasahn French lined up for a visit when the staff apparently decided a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and took Harris’ commitment.

But Pitino has shown some strong glimpses of being a very good coach, you have to be more patient.

How patient? Ten years? Sorry, you're wrong. At this level of competition and compensation, you have to show more than "glimpses" over five (six after next year) years.

Yes, this wasn't a typical Big Ten hire and the preponderance of evidence after five years indicates that we probably should have done a more traditional Big Ten hire. But, then again, he was hired and extended by a man who demonstrated that he was an idiot (on multiple fronts) and will likely never get another similar job.

Who were all of these better local players? Harris is a 2 guard. Every local available guard was a point. We already had Washington. And what is the obvious answer to your rhetorical question?

Who were all of these better local players? Harris is a 2 guard. Every local available guard was a point. We already had Washington. And what is the obvious answer to your rhetorical question?

Agreed. We whined and talked about adding outside shooting before this too. Always easy to criticize in hindsight if they leave.

It may work out for the better if they can find another guard or two that are ready to play next year, the problem I have with this is that it sometimes takes a couple of years for some of these guys to adjust to playing at the B1G level, if guys keep leaving after a year or two they never have the chance to develop and you continually have a couple of scholarships wasted on guys that never play or play very little.

I wonder if he figured he would be buried behind Mcbrayer next year and Kascheur after that and even next year, if that is the case then it might be a good thing he's leaving.

Davison is more a 2-guard than a 1. Perfect example of a really good combo guard. Why not go all out to get both (if that wasn't the case)?

He was recruited for the same reason as the hundreds of other D1 players transferring this spring (including from top programs) were recruited, but things didn't work out. While typically 7-9 players play for most teams, they all have more than that on scholarship. You recruit knowing some will work out and some won't, but hope for the best. Given we had two open scholarships already, I was bummed to see him transfer, just for depth, but there was no scenario where I thought he would be a key to our season next year. Its impossible to hit correctly on every scholarship offer, as there are only so many minutes and the good players want to play, not cheer from the bench.

Davison is more a 2-guard than a 1. Perfect example of a really good combo guard. Why not go all out to get both (if that wasn't the case)?

That's the answer. Both Davison and Wright are/were combo guards. This is especially true when it comes to Pitino's offense, where there's not necessarily a big distinction between point and shooting.

I honestly don't know the answer

Cayman touched on it above. As has been the case with Richard's recruiting in the past, he was chasing some bigger fish and other positions. When those didn't pan out, he'd already largely ignored Wright and missed on Davison, and Harris was still available.

Cayman touched on it above. As has been the case with Richard's recruiting in the past, he was chasing some bigger fish and other positions. When those didn't pan out, he'd already largely ignored Wright and missed on Davison, and Harris was still available.

Untrue, this has been discussed ad nauseam this board as well. Wright had his chance to commit on his official here. He wanted to take a visit to Dayton and while he was there, IW commited.

Top Bottom