Jamir Harris Transferring

3 strong grad transfers could turn this team right around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's 193/493 (39%) from 3 in his career. That is definitely worth something. We wouldn't need him to be "above average" either. Just stand in the corner for 5-10 minutes a game and play solid defense. We have 3 open scholarships and using one on Wright for one year wouldn't be a terrible idea.

OK, I'm a little warmer to the idea of offering him now. 39% from 3 for a career is nothing to scoff at.

This sucks, in that he seemed like a good kid, and a smart kid, too, so it might hurt the team GPA.

But instead of freaking out about it, this could lead to Pitino being able to bring in a better player. I'd for the 3 players

1 Grad Transfer
1 JC player with 2 years remaining
1 optional. A HS recruit would be fine as long as he's not a project needing more than half a season to start contributing. If we got 2 grad transfers, that wouldn't be ideal, but then next year we could go for another JC player to replace one of them.

Harris could have had more playing time last season, but he struggled on defense. He had a hard time fighting through picks and didn't rotate very well with help. I was hoping he'd hit the weight room and make a big improvement this next season, but that's not happening. Best wishes wherever he lands.

The Ivys or Stanford are the rumor. Very smart kid. Marginal B10 player and not 6'2". Another miss for Lil' Ricky.

I wouldn’t call it a miss. I think he could have developed into a solid player for us. Unfortunately transfers are more common than ever.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Young leaving. I believe he was the one that recruited Harris.

This sucks, in that he seemed like a good kid, and a smart kid, too, so it might hurt the team GPA.

But instead of freaking out about it, this could lead to Pitino being able to bring in a better player. I'd for the 3 players

1 Grad Transfer
1 JC player with 2 years remaining
1 optional. A HS recruit would be fine as long as he's not a project needing more than half a season to start contributing. If we got 2 grad transfers, that wouldn't be ideal, but then next year we could go for another JC player to replace one of them.

Correct. He looked to need more work than originally thought. Better for him to move to get more playing time and better the U to find a better fit. If you want a top level competitive team there will be turn over. Harris is not exactly the same, but look at how much it hurt this team to have a couple of roster spots taking by player that were not going to see the court. It is a little hypocritical from some to criticize those roster spots and not understand what happens when backup players leave. Wish Harris the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 strong grad transfers could turn this team right around...

Absolutely. Even two would probably do the trick. In that case, the 3rd scholarship could be used for the best sit-out transfer willing to come here.

Absolutely. Even two would probably do the trick. In that case, the 3rd scholarship could be used for the best sit-out transfer willing to come here.

I like this strategy. Not sure as to who would come. I like the idea of adding Wright for shooting purposes, but that's all he does. Adding another player who can handle PG duties would be nice, but not sure who would come here to back up Isaiah.

I do like the idea of adding a transfer who would sit out a year. Perhaps Marcus Carr or Brandon Cyrus. I think I prefer the latter since he could step in for Mcbrayer once he graduates.

I do like the idea of adding a transfer who would sit out a year. Perhaps Marcus Carr or Brandon Cyrus. I think I prefer the latter since he could step in for Mcbrayer once he graduates.

Either of those would be terrific pickups. I'd be really happy with Carr as well because having two capable points guards really helps the safety margin.

Richard certainly jerked him around on playing time for no good reason IMO. We lacked 3 point shooting terribly but he still barely played. Now 3 open scholarships for Spring recruiting. Ugh.

Yeah, there wasn't any kind of consistent role. That was understandable when it was freshman Charles Thomas sitting behind Harris and Jackson, but the Gophers were so shorthanded this year...

Are we planning on pulling a Hoiberg here? I mean I'm fine with it if it works but damn this looks dicey

I’m really close to being off the Pitino bandwagon. What a cluster**** this roster has been over the last 5 years.

No doubt. The recruiting misses, the inexcusable lack of player development for many on the roster, and throw in a few off the court incidents and it makes you wonder.

Are we planning on pulling a Hoiberg here? I mean I'm fine with it if it works but damn this looks dicey

I liked Harris as a shooter and he hustled, but I was having a hard time seeing him fit in the top 8-9 player rotation. So considering all of the transfers that happen in college buckets, I don't see this as a seismic event by any means. If we get a PG and a wing that can be part of the rotation next year we are in great shape.

Murph, Curry, Oturo, Coffey, Washington, McBrayer, Kalsheuer, Stockman, Hurt were nine guys ahead of Harris at the moment and Omeara might make it ten if he is ready. I'm okay with this one.

I liked Harris as a shooter and he hustled, but I was having a hard time seeing him fit in the top 8-9 player rotation. So considering all of the transfers that happen in college buckets, I don't see this as a seismic event by any means. If we get a PG and a wing that can be part of the rotation next year we are in great shape.

Murph, Curry, Oturo, Coffey, Washington, McBrayer, Kalsheuer, Stockman, Hurt were nine guys ahead of Harris at the moment and Omeara might make it ten if he is ready. I'm okay with this one.

I hear what you are saying. It seems a poor choice in hindsight however. I am concerned about roster management and getting at least 9 that are big ten worthy at all times.

I hear what you are saying. It seems a poor choice in hindsight however. I am concerned about roster management and getting at least 9 that are big ten worthy at all times.

Yes, and considering Pitino's luck/roster management/etc., that means you need 11 or 12 because at least 2 or 3 are going to be hurt, suspended, or transferred.

Yes, and considering Pitino's luck/roster management/etc., that means you need 11 or 12 because at least 2 or 3 are going to be hurt, suspended, or transferred.

RIM SHOT please!:clap::clap::clap:

What was particularly "dicey" about Hoiberg's strategy? His ISU teams were 99-40 (72%) after his first season. Iowa State has had some pretty accomplished basketball coaches over its last 35 years but none of the others were able to achieve a record like that over four consecutive years. Hoiberg's strategy had the following favorable attributes:

1) His rosters had two to four newcomers each year who had demonstrated previously that they could be productive players at the D1 level;
2) His rosters had higher average ages and levels of physical maturity than most;
3) He had a lower risk of those transfer players transferring again than he would have had with traditional players;
4) in the event a transfer player turned out to be a miss, he didn't take a roster space for very long (I think all of us can appreciate that after Bakary and Gaston).

Now, I'm not saying Pitino could recruit the players to make this strategy work the way Hoiberg could but the strategy itself is not bad at all.

Harris’s only twitter activity in the last few days was retweeting this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/adamzagoria/status/982375561917091841?s=21

Pretty obvious that Young leaving was a big reason.

In my opinion this transfer doesn’t hurt this year. It hurts in the following two years when we are void of an upperclassman sharpshooter who has played in the system. Harris wasn’t ever going to lead us to the big dance, but he’s the type of player that almost every successful team has mixed in somewhere on the bench.

What was particularly "dicey" about Hoiberg's strategy? His ISU teams were 99-40 (72%) after his first season. Iowa State has had some pretty accomplished basketball coaches over its last 35 years but none of the others were able to achieve a record like that over four consecutive years. Hoiberg's strategy had the following favorable attributes:

1) His rosters had two to four newcomers each year who had demonstrated previously that they could be productive players at the D1 level;
2) His rosters had higher average ages and levels of physical maturity than most;
3) He had a lower risk of those transfer players transferring again than he would have had with traditional players;
4) in the event a transfer player turned out to be a miss, he didn't take a roster space for very long (I think all of us can appreciate that after Bakary and Gaston).

Now, I'm not saying Pitino could recruit the players to make this strategy work the way Hoiberg could but the strategy itself is not bad at all.

What we have now is dicey. Hoibergs teams were not once they were put together

Murph, Curry, Oturo, Coffey, Washington, McBrayer, Kalsheuer, Stockman, Hurt were nine guys ahead of Harris at the moment and Omersa might make it ten if he is ready. I'm okay with this one.

With these guys on the team we , by far , have the best assembly of talent in Pitinos time here and maybe quite a while longer. If we can get an experienced transfer or two it will give freshman time to adjust. Getting Coffey, curry,mcbrayer back at full strength and adding stockman, Oturu, klauashaur, omersa with Washington, Murphy and Hurt and possibly a grad transfer or two makes us better (talent wise) than the team we had at the beginning of last year. Losing Fitzgerald and Harris, with right moves by pitino , can even make us better. We are ten deep ( if the freshmen step up) without anybody transferring in. Big ten ready transfers are a luxury that could put us over the top.

Murph, Curry, Oturo, Coffey, Washington, McBrayer, Kalsheuer, Stockman, Hurt were nine guys ahead of Harris at the moment and Omersa might make it ten if he is ready. I'm okay with this one.

With these guys on the team we , by far , have the best assembly of talent in Pitinos time here and maybe quite a while longer. If we can get an experienced transfer or two it will give freshman time to adjust. Getting Coffey, curry,mcbrayer back at full strength and adding stockman, Oturu, klauashaur, omersa with Washington, Murphy and Hurt and possibly a grad transfer or two makes us better (talent wise) than the team we had at the beginning of last year. Losing Fitzgerald and Harris, with right moves by pitino , can even make us better. We are ten deep ( if the freshmen step up) without anybody transferring in. Big ten ready transfers are a luxury that could put us over the top.

The frosh are a big big if. Unless something changes dramatically the team may be less experienced.

I think the bigger issue here is Pitino's roster management. I don't think losing Harris is going to have a tremendous impact on our program, but it says something about our recruiting.

I know this is largely conjecture, but I think it's entirely possible that Harris would have seen very little PT next season (I think Kalscheur passes him on the depth chart). That said, we would have had a team with very little depth at the guard spots, where Harris still would have struggled to get PT.

Honestly, I think Pitino's fate next season is in Matthew Hurt's hands. If we have a mediocre year (NIT) and Matthew Hurt commits - he stays.

I think the bigger issue here is Pitino's roster management. I don't think losing Harris is going to have a tremendous impact on our program, but it says something about our recruiting.

I know this is largely conjecture, but I think it's entirely possible that Harris would have seen very little PT next season (I think Kalscheur passes him on the depth chart). That said, we would have had a team with very little depth at the guard spots, where Harris still would have struggled to get PT.

Honestly, I think Pitino's fate next season is in Matthew Hurt's hands. If we have a mediocre year (NIT) and Matthew Hurt commits - he stays.

Agreed. Furthermore, the argument by someone that we don't need guys like Harris because we have Hurt and Stockman is mind-numbingly lame on several levels. We don't even know if Stockman will be serviceable, and I suspect he won't be.

Kind of sad really that after a year here he doesn't like it here enough or the rest of the team and staff enough to stick it out when the guy that recruited him leaves. Was young really the only reason he committed here?. If so then looks at least a little bit to be Harris's fault too for making a decision based on his lead recruiter only.

Harris seems like a good kid but I don't see how this is a bad thing. He was a small 1-dimensional SG that was going to continue to struggle to see playing time. Pitino now has the opportunity to add several players who can contribute at a higher level next year.

Our situation is similar to Nebraska's last year. Miles seat was red hot after losing 4 transfers prior to last season. He ended up reshaping his roster and having his best season at Nebraska. I think Pitino will do the same and make the dance next season.

Agreed. Furthermore, the argument by someone that we don't need guys like Harris because we have Hurt and Stockman is mind-numbingly lame on several levels. We don't even know if Stockman will be serviceable, and I suspect he won't be.

The loss of Harris is not surprising, and won't be a program changer, but he did have a skill that was seriously lacking on last year's squad. While the possibility of Gabe "jumping" over him in the rotation is real, it is no guarantee. I think Harris is the kind of guy you want on your team. A shooter. A team player. A hard worker. An excellent student. A great kid. But players transfer all the time with good reason and maybe not as good. This is the way of the game now. If the masses thought we were on the upswing, it would be no big deal because we could get a better player. Because the masses think we are sliding into oblivion, it is simply another nail in the coffin of the program. I don't think either is true but it does create potential roster problems next season. Even if we get grad transfers, it will take a while for them to blend in.

The Hurt-Stockman analysis seems about as non-sequitor as you can get. Neither of them have anything to do with shooting guards. Don't bury Stockman yet. He has some offensive skills.

We don't even know if Stockman will be serviceable, and I suspect he won't be.

I suspect he will be, but, then again, my conception of "serviceable" has been defined downward by the Gaston and Bakary experience.

Top Bottom