Jamir Harris Transferring

Minnesota G Jamir Harris @Jtodaizzo will transfer to American University, his father tells me. Sits one to play three.— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) May 9, 2018

Jamir Harris will transfer to American University in Washington D.C. They play in the Patriot League and last made the tourney in 2014. They have strugglesd mightily the last two seasons. The university appears to be about the same as the U in terms of academic prestige.

To be honest... this is clearly a downgrade for Harris. He is transfering to a poor basketball program and a college that is arguably worse than Minnesota in terms of prestige. I suppose he is closer to home but suprsised he didn't have more options. Wish him well, he seemed like a really nice kid who worked hard, hope he finds success.
I disagree that it is as large a downgrade as generally thought. The B1G Ten has slid downward as a prestigious Power 5 conference and the Gophers are a lower tier team in said conference. I would venture to say the Gophers, and Rutgers, among the lower tier B1G conference MBB teams, would struggle to trounce the upper tier teams in the Patriot League.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These two sentences are contradictory to each other.
Not really. Lower tier B1G Teams should beat lower tier Patriot League teams. However, The difference between upper tier B1G Teams and upper tier Patriot League teams is still significant. The problem with the sour grapes downgrade is that upper tier Patriot League teams can beat lower tier B1G teams.

Until all the "stellar recruits" we have signed take the court and start producing Ws, instead of continuing to collect Ls like they are Lebron James rookie cards, the Gophers are a lower tier B1G team and the move that Jamir Harris has made is not as significant a drop in the competition as the RP bobos want you to believe it is.

Not really. Lower tier B1G Teams should beat lower tier Patriot League teams. However, The difference between upper tier B1G Teams and upper tier Patriot League teams is still significant. The problem with the sour grapes downgrade is that upper tier Patriot League teams can beat lower tier B1G teams.

Not really. When was the last time a Patriot League team beat even a mediocre Big Ten team? Bucknell dominated the Patriot League last year (16-2) and were still beaten by a sub-.500 Maryland team. I'm sure it happens on rare occasions, but the winning percentage over the last few years has to be sub-10% regardless of the quality of Big Ten opponent. This is like pointing to Appalachian St. beating Michigan in football and saying that FCS and Big Ten aren't that far apart - and FCS football teams beat Big Ten teams way more often than Patriot League teams beat Big Ten teams in basketball.

the Gophers are a lower tier B1G team and the move that Jamir Harris has made is not as significant a drop in the competition as the RP bobos want you to believe it is

I'm about as far from a RP bobo as one can get, and you're just plain wrong. American is awful and one of the worst Division I basketball teams. They played power conference teams 3 times last year and lost by 38, 34, and 41 points.

Not really. When was the last time a Patriot League team beat even a mediocre Big Ten team? Bucknell dominated the Patriot League last year (16-2) and were still beaten by a sub-.500 Maryland team. I'm sure it happens on rare occasions, but the winning percentage over the last few years has to be sub-10% regardless of the quality of Big Ten opponent. This is like pointing to Appalachian St. beating Michigan in football and saying that FCS and Big Ten aren't that far apart - and FCS football teams beat Big Ten teams way more often than Patriot League teams beat Big Ten teams in basketball.

I'm about as far from a RP bobo as one can get, and you're just plain wrong. American is awful and one of the worst Division I basketball teams. They played power conference teams 3 times last year and lost by 38, 34, and 41 points.

Oh, but facts are so inconvenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree that it is as large a downgrade as generally thought. The B1G Ten has slid downward as a prestigious Power 5 conference and the Gophers are a lower tier team in said conference. I would venture to say the Gophers, and Rutgers, among the lower tier B1G conference MBB teams, would struggle to trounce the upper tier teams in the Patriot League.

Wow, I thought you knew Basketball.
Yes, B1G teams are constantly getting beat out for recruits by Bucknell or American U.... just think about what you are saying.

I would venture to say the Gophers, and Rutgers, among the lower tier B1G conference MBB teams, would struggle to trounce the upper tier teams in the Patriot League.

I would disagree with that. Occasionally they might have trouble with Bucknell but not much with any other team. Yes, Lehigh with C.J. McCollum did knock off Duke one year in the tournament but that doesn't mean Lehigh could be competitive year in and out with even lower ranking power five teams.

Besides, American was the worst patriot team last year.

Harris may be looking at the academics and internships around DC in alignment with goals outside of basketball. P5 ball may not have been his thing. He has to do what is right for himself.

IIRC he graduated #1 in his class.

Best of luck to him.

Wow, I thought you knew Basketball.
Yes, B1G teams are constantly getting beat out for recruits by Bucknell or American U.... just think about what you are saying.

If we were getting 5 star recruits, then you probably would have a case. However, we set the bar at 3 star recruits and wet ourselves with excitement when we land a 4 star recruit. We settle for mediocrity. That mediocrity could play anywhere, even the Patriot League. That mediocrity could be better coached than us and end up beating us. Until we become a top tier team in the B1G then the gap between playing here or in the Patriot League is narrow enough that it should be distressing to the fan base.

If we were getting 5 star recruits, then you probably would have a case. However, we set the bar at 3 star recruits and wet ourselves with excitement when we land a 4 star recruit. We settle for mediocrity. That mediocrity could play anywhere, even the Patriot League. That mediocrity could be better coached than us and end up beating us. Until we become a top tier team in the B1G then the gap between playing here or in the Patriot League is narrow enough that it should be distressing to the fan base.

Bucknell was the only decent team in the Patriot League last year. The Patriot League's conference RPI rank was #27 of 32. Quit while you're behind.

American University is rated 69th academically by US News, Tied with Minnesota, Rutgers, Clemson and a few others. So I wouldn't say it is a step up in academics.

Status wise, it may be a step down nation-wide, but locally American is very respected even though I live within an hour of DC and I'm not even sure where it is located.

Sports wise, American is not held to be a good school to attend. More of a school John Thompson would schedule annually for the non-conference.

American University is rated 69th academically by US News, Tied with Minnesota, Rutgers, Clemson and a few others. So I wouldn't say it is a step up in academics.

Well, right now, American U's most well known alumnus is Trump's dufus lawyer Michael Cohen. That alone should knock it down a few places in the standings.

Well, right now, American U's most well known alumnus is Trump's dufus lawyer Michael Cohen. That alone should knock it down a few places in the standings.

Jamie Erdahl went there too. #oneofus

And no one can name a successful professional Gopher men's basketball player from the last two decades. Or a successful grad from the B school, Ag school, Med school or Institute of Technology either. It's amazing people on this board know more about successful grads from Patriot League than the University of Minnesota.

And no one can name a successful professional Gopher men's basketball player from the last two decades. Or a successful grad from the B school, Ag school, Med school or Institute of Technology either. It's amazing people on this board know more about successful grads from Patriot League than the University of Minnesota.

Basketball - Kris Humphries
B school - Curt Carlson, John Stumpf, Tony Dungy, Flip Saunders
Ag school - Norman Borlaug
Med school - Walt Lillehei, Robert Good
IT - Walter Brattain

Stop being a dick.

Basketball - Kris Humphries
B school - Curt Carlson, John Stumpf, Tony Dungy, Flip Saunders
Ag school - Norman Borlaug
Med school - Walt Lillehei, Robert Good
IT - Walter Brattain

Stop being a dick.

John Stumpf?? Really? The guy who let Wells Fargo create millions of fake customer accounts? That right there disqualifies your response.

C. Walton Lillehi, Curt Carlson and Walter Brattain all passed away over twenty years ago.

Robert Good and Norman Borlaug were the longest lived of the Golden Generation at the University (1948 to 1965) and both passed away around 10 to 15 years ago.

Flip Saunders, R.I.P.

Tony Dungy is another person whom I have respect for, but am dumbfounded at his distancing himself from his alma mater. Just like I am with Kevin McHale, Paul Molitor and Dave Winfield keeping their distance.

The only person who falls within the last 20 year parameter is Kris Humphries and that is barely. He also keeps his distance from the U.

I see no problem being a "dick" (as you like to call me) when it comes to the declining profile of the University of Minnesota. I graduated in 1986, at the beginning of the assault on the University of Minnesota's prestige under Ken Keller.

The University of Minnesota is a great academic university, but it has had an increasingly disingenuous profile ever since Malcolm Moos raised the walls of the ivory tower higher and disconnected the University from the state of Minnesota by creating cloying communiversity ideal.

If you have as problem with people who care about the University of Minnesota and its broader reputation, then you really need to take a long hard look at what you are doing and if it is raising the university's profile or damaging it.

John Stumpf?? Really? The guy who let Wells Fargo create millions of fake customer accounts? That right there disqualifies your response.

C. Walton Lillehi, Curt Carlson and Walter Brattain all passed away over twenty years ago.

Robert Good and Norman Borlaug were the longest lived of the Golden Generation at the University (1948 to 1965) and both passed away around 10 to 15 years ago.

Flip Saunders, R.I.P.

Tony Dungy is another person whom I have respect for, but am dumbfounded at his distancing himself from his alma mater. Just like I am with Kevin McHale, Paul Molitor and Dave Winfield keeping their distance.

The only person who falls within the last 20 year parameter is Kris Humphries and that is barely. He also keeps his distance from the U.

I see no problem being a "dick" (as you like to call me) when it comes to the declining profile of the University of Minnesota. I graduated in 1986, at the beginning of the assault on the University of Minnesota's prestige under Ken Keller.

The University of Minnesota is a great academic university, but it has had an increasingly disingenuous profile ever since Malcolm Moos raised the walls of the ivory tower higher and disconnected the University from the state of Minnesota by creating cloying communiversity ideal.

If you have as problem with people who care about the University of Minnesota and its broader reputation, then you really need to take a long hard look at what you are doing and if it is raising the university's profile or damaging it.

So now you are trying to turn your bashing of the U into some sort of martyrdom of your great love for the U? It started with your ridiculous comment stating that American University was not a step down from playing at the U and has now expanded into some political agenda you have against the U.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So now you are trying to turn your bashing of the U into some sort of martyrdom of your great love for the U? It started with your ridiculous comment stating that American University was not a step down from playing at the U and has now expanded into some political agenda you have against the U.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do not have an agenda against the University. I want the University of Minnesota to be held in higher regard than it is currently held, but the fact of the matter is that it is not, athletically and academically.

I never said that Jamir was making a lateral move by going to American University. I said it is not a dive off a steep cliff kind of drop, the way the sour grapes posters wanted it to sound. I think he is moving to a better place for him.

I also think that the U needs to look at why so many alumni hold their school at arms length. It is not just one or two classes of alumni, but rather entire generations.

Poor athletic team performance is one component. If you contrast the mens's and women's basketball programs, the women are a shooting star in popularity because of Lindsey Whalen signing on as head coach. She has drawn in two highly ranked prospects for the women's team in two months: Sara Scalia from Stillwater and Mercedes Staples from Utah. Stapkes is a four star recruit. I dont think the men's coach has ever had that kind of pull. Yet men's hoops still have the potential to generate more revenue for the U despite the fact that they are strangled by being a laughingstock, and no one cares. Its ridiculous how the U manages to hobble itself when it comes to generating revenue.

The University of Minnesota should have better athletic teams all around, yet we like to cripple the ones that could generate the most revenue for the school.

Or to put it as the First Lady can't, Be the Best.

Ewert86 you are all over the place and talking nonsense.

We have famous wrestlers cornered here at the U!

1. Ric Flair
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Verne Gagne

And don't forget Hercules himself (Kevin Sorbo) went to the U!

Need more acting chops, Hellboy went here too! Ron Perlman

And lest you forget, the most famous musician no one can understand, Bob Dylan attended the U!

There are plenty of well regarded U grads in the business community (and of course, beyond). A U grad won the Nobel in Economics less than 5 years ago! Your statement is nonsense.

Flip Saunders, R.I.P.

The only one on which you placed the 20-year parameter was men's basketball. If you wanted the 20-year parameter on everything, you should've said so. And the CEO of a top-25ish company in the country is a successful alumnus, regardless of what transpired.

Stop being a dick.

1. Ric Flair
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Verne Gagne

And lest you forget, the most famous musician no one can understand, Bob Dylan attended the U!
You're missing Shelton Benjamin and up-and-comer Chad Gable.

1. Ric Flair
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Verne Gagne

Hello, Yanni went to the University of Minnesota

The only one on which you placed the 20-year parameter was men's basketball. If you wanted the 20-year parameter on everything, you should've said so. And the CEO of a top-25ish company in the country is a successful alumnus, regardless of what transpired.

Stop being a dick.
Do you understand the difference between famous and infamous? Stumpf went from being famous because if his rise at WF. He became infamous because if the massive fraud that occurred while he was CEO.

Top Bottom