Jamir Harris Transferring

Untrue, this has been discussed ad nauseam this board as well. Wright had his chance to commit on his official here. He wanted to take a visit to Dayton and while he was there, IW commited.

Gophers also tried to get a commitment from Wright after he was released from his LOI from Dayton. So saying they didn't try to get Wright is false.

Untrue, this has been discussed ad nauseam this board as well. Wright had his chance to commit on his official here. He wanted to take a visit to Dayton and while he was there, IW commited.

Obviously my memory is bad...but it is short.

So yes, they had no intention of taking two guards, and there was no way Wright was signing here once IW signed on. If I just keep repeating that, I might finally remember it. The ironic part is that we did end up taking two guards.

I still do wish we could have kept Harris, bottom line.

Obviously my memory is bad...but it is short.

So yes, they had no intention of taking two guards, and there was no way Wright was signing here once IW signed on. If I just keep repeating that, I might finally remember it. The ironic part is that we did end up taking two guards.

I still do wish we could have kept Harris, bottom line.

Agreed, Harris could have turned into a solid bench player for us. He will carve a nice role wherever he goes imo.

Gophers also tried to get a commitment from Wright after he was released from his LOI from Dayton. So saying they didn't try to get Wright is false.
They did but the problem was they didn't have a scholarship available at the time. They talked with him about going to prep school for a year or walking on for a year until a scholarship was available but with so many other options it just didn't work.

The speculation on RPs recruiting over the years is comical. No one has any idea what goes on behind the scenes. Not even a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I took note during the year of how Pitino was visibly frustrated with Jamir's defense on multiple occasions. It really stood out to me because his reactions of frustrations towards Jamir's mistakes and his quick hooks of Jamir were in contrast to how he seemed to react to other's defensive mistakes. I am not surprised Jamir has moved on and I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to.

That said, I liked Jamir's potential as a shooter. It's not just that he was a shooter, but that he was a shooter capable of giving you 3 point shooting in many different ways: he had deep range, he was comfortable shooting off dribble handoffs, he'd shoot off the dribble himself...he was much more than just catch and shoot guy. Obviously, he didn't shoot it well enough as a Freshman to justify his limitations. I believe I posted on the board a few times after watching him play in high school that he really didn't have a position to guard. He doesn't handle it well enough or create well enough to be a lead ball handler himself and he's not big enough to guard opponents two guards. He was likely always going to be a bench player, but I think he could have been a nice piece to have provided you didn't need him to start. That's assuming he gets that 3 pt % above 40.

The speculation on RPs recruiting over the years is comical. No one has any idea what goes on behind the scenes. Not even a little bit.

True, but they are all experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys are nuts if you think Pitino is on the hot seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He’s not even close to the hot seat. Brought in a pretty solid recruiting class. Not his fault Lynch has issues.

At this point, every fan base has to assume that two players will transfer every year. The numbers say that’s the reality.

So, knowing that, and given genie power to choose which two players left, I probably would have chosen Fitz and Harris. So maybe it worked out exactly how it was supposed to.

Which two players would the rest of you have chosen?

I care a lot less about what happens behind the scenes (as long as it isn't something criminal, a violation of NCAA rules, or something morally deficient) than I do about what happens on the court and in the standings.

Picture Matthew Hurt in the above clip and Pitino will be Super Cool in his seat!

As for Harris, he was never going to set the world on fire here.

What do you mean by that part in parentheses?

Terminate with prejudice means not eligible for rehire. Terminate with extreme prejudice is a euphemism for murdering someone - very apropos because many Gophers fans murdered Tubby metaphorically while he was here and still do so today.

Terminate with prejudice means not eligible for rehire. Terminate with extreme prejudice is a euphemism for murdering someone - very apropos because many Gophers fans murdered Tubby metaphorically while he was here and still do so today.

lol

Sad part is Tubby is still getting “murdered.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree. With three open scholarships I'm sure RP and staff are working hard behind the scenes, even if there isn't much being reported about who we are pursuing. I think you would probably say the same for Tubby, but many on here have already settled onto the narrative that he was super lazy in recruiting.

I took note during the year of how Pitino was visibly frustrated with Jamir's defense on multiple occasions. It really stood out to me because his reactions of frustrations towards Jamir's mistakes and his quick hooks of Jamir were in contrast to how he seemed to react to other's defensive mistakes. I am not surprised Jamir has moved on and I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to.

That said, I liked Jamir's potential as a shooter. It's not just that he was a shooter, but that he was a shooter capable of giving you 3 point shooting in many different ways: he had deep range, he was comfortable shooting off dribble handoffs, he'd shoot off the dribble himself...he was much more than just catch and shoot guy. Obviously, he didn't shoot it well enough as a Freshman to justify his limitations. I believe I posted on the board a few times after watching him play in high school that he really didn't have a position to guard. He doesn't handle it well enough or create well enough to be a lead ball handler himself and he's not big enough to guard opponents two guards. He was likely always going to be a bench player, but I think he could have been a nice piece to have provided you didn't need him to start. That's assuming he gets that 3 pt % above 40.

Good analysis. My observation was that Harris showed good effort and decent fundamentals on defense but was limited mostly by his height. I'm not sure he couldn't have grown into a role guarding smaller guards, but then I suppose he might have been limited by his quickness. One way or another, though, I think you can coach a guy like him up on defense and hide his faults, but I'm just not sure this staff is adept at that.

From my perspective, there is no way they miss the tournament next year. I think he has had growing pains, but there has been progress (in more than just the record.. recruiting, player development, representing the program). We hired a coach early in his career, you need to give him more time than just another more experienced hire. I would tend to agree with you guys if we had hired an older MAC coach that obviously is going in the right direction. But Pitino has shown some strong glimpses of being a very good coach, you have to be more patient.

You realize that you just made the argument that he is on the hot seat?

Your answer implies that he could likely get canned if he doesn't make the tournament, he could very well get canned. You happen to think he makes the tournament (I hope you're right), but that implication means that he is on the hot seat.

Mixed feelings on this one, he was probably 6'1" with out the handle to be a point guard. He's probably too small to be a BIG 10 shooting guard. He has the potential to be a sweet shooter from the outside however. Gabe is going to have to come in and play meaningful minutes now, not ideal. They must get a grad transfer at this point, Mooney would be ideal.

From my perspective, there is no way they miss the tournament next year. I think he has had growing pains, but there has been progress (in more than just the record.. recruiting, player development, representing the program). We hired a coach early in his career, you need to give him more time than just another more experienced hire. I would tend to agree with you guys if we had hired an older MAC coach that obviously is going in the right direction. But Pitino has shown some strong glimpses of being a very good coach, you have to be more patient.

I have to question what you mean by progress. I'll agree that recruiting has been solid. Some misses on guys we got who didn't pan out and some guys we should have had who didn't come here, but no one is 100% on recruiting so I can live with it. But with recruiting my belief has always been that I don't care about the rankings as long as you can get results on the court. Player development would be the same. Some developed, some haven't. Can't expect 100% there either so I don't have a huge problem with what we've experienced. In terms of record, it's not very good. Representing the program...we've had quite a few issues. 100% of the blame doesn't go on the coach, but when it happens over and over again I think it is fair for a share of the blame to fall on the coach.

And I don't see how you can say we will definitely make the tournament next year. As we currently stand, I'd say there is a better chance we miss the tourney than make it. Obviously things will change with three available scholarships and three available scholarships, but I'm not even sure this is a NIT team as currently constructed.

Anyone have a truckload of tissues for The Dolly?

And I don't see how you can say we will definitely make the tournament next year. As we currently stand, I'd say there is a better chance we miss the tourney than make it. Obviously things will change with three available scholarships and three available scholarships, but I'm not even sure this is a NIT team as currently constructed.

This roster is constructed very well, short of some more experience in the back court - we cast off a bunch of deadwood and players that weren't going to get us where we need to go. We have a bunch of players with successful BTN experience (just need to heal) Coffey, Mcbrayer, Murphy, Curry, and to some extent IW & Hurt. the 7'2" transfer stockman should be better than Konate. Oturo is a top 50 recruit and Kalshaur is a top 100 - Omersa is a wild card. Compare to 16-17 roster: Lynch, Mason gone with Konate and Diedheu also - Stockman/Oturo/Curry should be able replace Lynch and have much more depth - IW/Kalshaur and ? will have to replace Mason. all the other returners have 1 more year of experience (more than we have had in a while)

IF we can fill those scollys with anybody decent (especially the back court) we will be a much improved roster over the 16-17 4th place BTN finishers.

This roster is constructed very well, short of some more experience in the back court - we cast off a bunch of deadwood and players that weren't going to get us where we need to go. We have a bunch of players with successful BTN experience (just need to heal) Coffey, Mcbrayer, Murphy, Curry, and to some extent IW & Hurt. the 7'2" transfer stockman should be better than Konate. Oturo is a top 50 recruit and Kalshaur is a top 100 - Omersa is a wild card. Compare to 16-17 roster: Lynch, Mason gone with Konate and Diedheu also - Stockman/Oturo/Curry should be able replace Lynch and have much more depth - IW/Kalshaur and ? will have to replace Mason. all the other returners have 1 more year of experience (more than we have had in a while)

IF we can fill those scollys with anybody decent (especially the back court) we will be a much improved roster over the 16-17 4th place BTN finishers.

Sounds like a bunch of optimistic projections there. I hope it all pans out, but my realistic side is cautious. I don't see very many shooters on the roster, which is my biggest concern.

This isn't great. Our guard depth right now is poor at best. They will be relying heavily on a kid that I still see as pretty raw in Washington, huge minutes from Coffey and likely huge minutes from McBrayer also.
I don't buy that the kid was too small. That is BS, there are lots of small guys that are able to dominate in college basketball. Too slow and not good enough handles, I can agree with that. That said, the kid could shoot
and seemed to do a pretty nice job scoring the ball.

This isn't great. Our guard depth right now is poor at best. They will be relying heavily on a kid that I still see as pretty raw in Washington, huge minutes from Coffey and likely huge minutes from McBrayer also.
I don't buy that the kid was too small. That is BS, there are lots of small guys that are able to dominate in college basketball. Too slow and not good enough handles, I can agree with that. That said, the kid could shoot
and seemed to do a pretty nice job scoring the ball.

He isn't good enough on offense to offset his weaknesses on defense. He essentially had one power-conference-level skill - shooting. You're right, there are lots of small guys who can dominate in college basketball - all of them are better scorers, better passers, and much quicker than Jamir Harris. It isn't so much that he is small, but that he is small and also not particularly fast or quick - meaning he can't defend a position because 2s are much bigger and 1s are much quicker. If he were an elite scorer and/or elite passer, he could compensate more than enough for his defensive liabilities - but he isn't close to elite at anything except shooting.

Harris visiting Penn

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jamir Harris will transfer to American University in Washington D.C. They play in the Patriot League and last made the tourney in 2014. They have strugglesd mightily the last two seasons. The university appears to be about the same as the U in terms of academic prestige.

To be honest... this is clearly a downgrade for Harris. He is transfering to a poor basketball program and a college that is arguably worse than Minnesota in terms of prestige. I suppose he is closer to home but suprsised he didn't have more options. Wish him well, he seemed like a really nice kid who worked hard, hope he finds success.

Harris may be looking at the academics and internships around DC in alignment with goals outside of basketball. P5 ball may not have been his thing. He has to do what is right for himself.

Jamir Harris will transfer to American University in Washington D.C. They play in the Patriot League and last made the tourney in 2014. They have strugglesd mightily the last two seasons. The university appears to be about the same as the U in terms of academic prestige.

To be honest... this is clearly a downgrade for Harris. He is transfering to a poor basketball program and a college that is arguably worse than Minnesota in terms of prestige. I suppose he is closer to home but suprsised he didn't have more options. Wish him well, he seemed like a really nice kid who worked hard, hope he finds success.

Top Bottom