Jamir Harris Transferring

jmag21

Reaction score
Frankly, I didn't think he was great for us, but it's never fun losing guys after their freshman year. We need quality replacements.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Here's the press release from the U:

Harris to Transfer from Minnesota

Guard Jamir Harris will transfer from the University of Minnesota, head coach Richard Pitino announced Friday. The 6-2, 190-pound guard recently completed his freshman season of eligibility with the Golden Gophers.

Harris, a native of North Brunswick, N.J., appeared in 28 games including twice in a starting role this season. He finished the season seventh on the team in scoring, averaging 3.9 points per game, while ranking third with 38 made 3-pointers. He scored in double figures three times, including a career-high 16 points in the Gophers’ overtime win at Penn State on January 15.

In addition to his scoring totals, Harris also recorded 25 rebounds (0.9 rpg), 17 assists (0.6 apg), seven steals (0.2 spg) and one block in 14.1 minutes per game.

[emoji22][emoji44][emoji849]yet another open scholie. Guess we have the ability to pick up pretty much whoever now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard's butt is getting warmer. Sure wish we had M Wright.

Disappointing but not really shocking. I never saw a scenario where he started here. Gabe is a bigger more complete version of Harris. Can't blame Harris for not wanting to be an off the bench player for 4 years. I would imagine Kimani leaving also made the decision easier.

[emoji22][emoji44][emoji849]yet another open scholie. Guess we have the ability to pick up pretty much whoever now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, probably should go for two grad transfers and one sit-out.

Jake Wright makes some sense now.

Why? Career PER of 11.6 at mid-majors. Just because you watched these guys in high school doesn't mean they're that good. Akeem Springs's PER was 17.1 at a mid-major the year before he came here.

Why? Career PER of 11.6 at mid-majors. Just because you watched these guys in high school doesn't mean they're that good. Akeem Springs's PER was 17.1 at a mid-major the year before he came here.

First of all, PER is a pretty crappy stat. Secondly, we wouldn't need him to be amazing. Just log 5-10 minutes off the bench as a 3-point threat.

The Ivys or Stanford are the rumor. Very smart kid. Marginal B10 player and not 6'2". Another miss for Lil' Ricky.

I really like the signing at the time, but as the season went along it was easy to question if he would ever be more than just a shooter. Which those are needed on a team, but but it would be nice if the player would be able to do at least one other thing. If he had better handles it would have been tough to see him go. Wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

I keep checking to see if any definitive recruit news. Didn't expect to see this, but can't say I'm surprised. Harris was certainly underwhelming this past season. Hopefully just saw the writing on the wall regarding PT and is leaving on good terms.

Good potential and a great kid. Wishing this wasn't happening.

The Ivys or Stanford are the rumor. Very smart kid. Marginal B10 player and not 6'2". Another miss for Lil' Ricky.

Its better for the Gophers to have a player transfer right away if he's going to. It just gives Pitino more to pitch to Grad players. For all of the things that people don't like about Richard, recruiting shouldn't be one of them.

I really like the signing at the time, but as the season went along it was easy to question if he would ever be more than just a shooter. Which those are needed on a team, but but it would be nice if the player would be able to do at least one other thing. If he had better handles it would have been tough to see him go. Wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

I remember thinking when the Gophers had a full lineup (besides Curry), I sent a message to Marcus Fuller saying they should start Harris at the two.. just because McBrayer was pretty good last year as the sixth man and I thought they could use a pure shooter in there with the starters. Of course the season fell apart fairly soon after though Harris showed in the Penn St what could happen with some playing time. Either way, this transfer doesn't surprise me at all. I thought Kalscheur would pass him up on the depth chart next year and that would lead to Harris a transferring a year from now.

The bigger worry I have now -- does Pitino's unclear future begin to hurt the current roster more, the 2019 class, etc.. I think Kimani leaving and Harris transferring has to play some part into Pitino's future... and not just "oh this was a crappy season so people are looking to change it up"

Richard certainly jerked him around on playing time for no good reason IMO. We lacked 3 point shooting terribly but he still barely played. Now 3 open scholarships for Spring recruiting. Ugh.

Things getter tougher on Pitino to keep his job beyond next year.

I’m really close to being off the Pitino bandwagon. What a cluster**** this roster has been over the last 5 years.

Agreed. Recruiting miss. Also hope that if people think you or I are not doing well at our respective jobs, they dont resort to bastardizing our names to try to prove it.

Disagree that he was a recruiting miss unless you are reffering to it being a miss that Pitino could not convince Harris to stay here. You give Harris a year or two to develop, he would have turned into a very solid 6 or 7th type guy who can come off the bench and average 6-9ppg. Those type of depth players are essential to having a good team.

From Harris's perspective, easy to see why he would leave. Harris saw that he would always be an off the bench type player here and probably never had a shot of playing ball professinally after college. He has to GPA to transfer to an Ivy League college and probably get more playing time as well. He will get one of the best educations in the world and more playing time. Hard to blame Harris for leaving, and hard to blame Pitino for not being able to get him to stay.

#1 priority in recruiting: outside shooting.

for better or worse, basketball at all levels is becoming a game of 3-point shooting. It is not a luxury - it is a necessity. If you watched the MN HS basketball tournament, there were guys putting up shots from beyond the NBA line on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, landing a really good outside shooter during the Spring recruiting cycle is going to be a challenge.

I wonder if a JUCO makes sense. bring in someone for 2 years and maintain some future roster flexibility. (of course, it has to be the "right" JUCO.)

First of all, PER is a pretty crappy stat. Secondly, we wouldn't need him to be amazing. Just log 5-10 minutes off the bench as a 3-point threat.

Well, if you have a better composite stat of player performance, offer it up. If that one doesn't show him to be any better, relatively speaking, than PER, then shut up.

There's better grad transfers available. Contrary to the Garrison Keillor schtick, not everyone who grows up here is "above average." If this board has taught me anything, it's that.

I’m really close to being off the Pitino bandwagon. What a cluster**** this roster has been over the last 5 years.

Except the average D1 basketball program will have two transfers per year. This is how it works.

Well, if you have a better composite stat of player performance, offer it up. If that one doesn't show him to be any better, relatively speaking, than PER, then shut up.

There's better grad transfers available. Contrary to the Garrison Keillor schtick, not everyone who grows up here is "above average." If this board has taught me anything, it's that.

He's 193/493 (39%) from 3 in his career. That is definitely worth something. We wouldn't need him to be "above average" either. Just stand in the corner for 5-10 minutes a game and play solid defense. We have 3 open scholarships and using one on Wright for one year wouldn't be a terrible idea.

He isn't getting fired based on this offseason... definitely possible he will get fired in 11 months based on the results of next season.

Top Bottom