Minnesota to host Florida Atlantic in 2020, Eastern Michigan in 2023

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FBSchedules.com:

The Minnesota Golden Gophers have added future football games against the Florida Atlantic Owls and the Eastern Michigan Eagles, FBSchedules.com has learned.

Copies of both game contracts were obtained from the University of Minnesota via a state public records request.

Minnesota will host Florida Atlantic at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020. The Owls will receive a $1.2 million guarantee for the game, according to a copy of the contract.

In three previous meetings, Minnesota leads the series over Florida Atlantic 2-1. The two schools last met in Minneapolis in 2008, which resulted in a 37-3 win for the Gophers.

Florida Atlantic was previously scheduled to play at Illinois on Sept. 5, 2020. That game will likely be postponed to another season or canceled.

On Sept. 9, 2023, Eastern Michigan will take on Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium. Minnesota will pay EMU a $1.4 million guarantee, per a copy of the contract.

The 2023 contest between Minnesota and Eastern Michigan will be their first-ever meeting on the gridiron.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/04/minnesota-florida-atlantic-2020-eastern-michigan-2023/

Go Gophers!!

Wow. May need extra tickets for those headliners.

I don't get it. More directional teams that don't produce any excitement nor do they have many fans that travel. This scheduling stuff must be tougher than one would think.

I mean this is all negotiation and stuff. More exciting teams (i.e. P5 teams) would probably require a home-home, which these teams don't, and want to play a team that will be competitive. Since we haven't been competitive recently, most higher end P5 teams probably don't want to play us. Leaving us with lower P5 (not exciting), G5 (usually not exciting), or FCS. Easier to schedule a G5 or FCS team that is willing to just agree to an away game and a payout instead of a home-home.

Doesn't mean they aren't trying, but its not like they can call up Boise State and get a home-home set up like it's no big deal. We need to be an attractive opponent to those teams first, as a lot of them care about SOS and aren't going to schedule a home-home with a team they think they will easily beat (Unless you're the SEC, but when was the last time an SEC team played a B1G team during the regular season?)

We Comin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lane Kiffin will most likely be gone by then so the FAU game loses the little charm it would have.

Since we haven't been competitive recently, most higher end P5 teams probably don't want to play us.

Haven't been competitive recently? Bowl games every year 2012-2016.

per FBSchedules.com:

The Minnesota Golden Gophers have added future football games against the Florida Atlantic Owls and the Eastern Michigan Eagles, FBSchedules.com has learned.

Copies of both game contracts were obtained from the University of Minnesota via a state public records request.

Minnesota will host Florida Atlantic at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020. The Owls will receive a $1.2 million guarantee for the game, according to a copy of the contract.

In three previous meetings, Minnesota leads the series over Florida Atlantic 2-1. The two schools last met in Minneapolis in 2008, which resulted in a 37-3 win for the Gophers.

Florida Atlantic was previously scheduled to play at Illinois on Sept. 5, 2020. That game will likely be postponed to another season or canceled.

On Sept. 9, 2023, Eastern Michigan will take on Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium. Minnesota will pay EMU a $1.4 million guarantee, per a copy of the contract.

The 2023 contest between Minnesota and Eastern Michigan will be their first-ever meeting on the gridiron.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/04/minnesota-florida-atlantic-2020-eastern-michigan-2023/

Go Gophers!!

2020 has BYU, which is usually a respectable team. So I'm ok with the rest of those non-con games being "easy".

2023 nothing else is announced so it's hard to say yet.

On a side note, we play at Colorado in 2021, at BYU 2025 (curious what a BYU tailgate looks like), and at Mississippi State in 2027. Potentially fun road trips. Weird to think my 4th grade boy will be done with high school by the time the Mississippi State game rolls around.

I mean this is all negotiation and stuff. More exciting teams (i.e. P5 teams) would probably require a home-home, which these teams don't, and want to play a team that will be competitive. Since we haven't been competitive recently, most higher end P5 teams probably don't want to play us. Leaving us with lower P5 (not exciting), G5 (usually not exciting), or FCS. Easier to schedule a G5 or FCS team that is willing to just agree to an away game and a payout instead of a home-home.

Doesn't mean they aren't trying, but its not like they can call up Boise State and get a home-home set up like it's no big deal. We need to be an attractive opponent to those teams first, as a lot of them care about SOS and aren't going to schedule a home-home with a team they think they will easily beat (Unless you're the SEC, but when was the last time an SEC team played a B1G team during the regular season?)

What team are you following?

Haven't been competitive recently? Bowl games every year 2012-2016.

What team are you following?

I probably should have said consistently competitive. 2023 is in 5 years, and the last 5 years our record has been 8–5, 8–5, 6–7, 9–4, 5–7 and if we extend to 10 years it gets worse. In the last decade, the Gophers have not been consistently competitive, and I think that certainly makes us not a very desirable opponent for a good P5 team looking to bolster their strength of schedule.

Until we get a better streak, the "exciting" NC opponents are going to be few, and far in between. We've been competitive in the short term, but it hasn't been enough to solidly say yes to "In 5 years, is there a good chance they will be a good team?"

I probably should have said consistently competitive. 2023 is in 5 years, and the last 5 years our record has been 8–5, 8–5, 6–7, 9–4, 5–7

So I can understand, can you give me the records a team must have to be considered competitive?

14 bowl games since 1999. I believe that's 5 years without a bowl game since 1999. One year missed for Mason, 2 for Brewster, 1 for Kill, and 1 for PJ.
Even the Brewster years, which people here seem to think were the lowest point ever of the program (if you really think this true, look up Jim Wacker or Joe Salem), we made bowl games in half his years here.

I would argue that making a bowl game is for sure "being competitive".

So I can understand, can you give me the records a team must have to be considered competitive?

Maybe a team with a top 25 win or two and 8-9 wins.

14 bowl games since 1999. I believe that's 5 years without a bowl game since 1999. One year missed for Mason, 2 for Brewster, 1 for Kill, and 1 for PJ.
Even the Brewster years, which people here seem to think were the lowest point ever of the program (if you really think this true, look up Jim Wacker or Joe Salem), we made bowl games in half his years here.

I would argue that making a bowl game is for sure "being competitive".

Last thing I want to do is defend Brewster... but look at his games vs Wisconsin.
Then look at the coaches since then vs Wisconsin.

With expanded B10 play... there won't be as much room / incentive to play tougher OOC.

Get the wins, be happy if we ever have to worry about SoS being a factor.... deal with it then.

The Gophers will play road nonconference games in odd years (when they have 5 home B1G games). That means the P5 home games will be in even seasons.

per the Palm Beach Post:

Florida Atlantic will hit the road looking to replicate one of the more impressive wins in program history, as a team spokesperson confirmed to The Post that the Owls will travel to Minnesota to play the Golden Gophers on Sept. 3, 2020.

FAU is 1-2 against Minnesota and hasn’t played the Golden Gophers since a 37-3 loss in 2008, though the Owls’ lone win, a 42-39 victory on Sept. 15, 2007, at then-Dolphins Stadium, remains the team’s only victory against a Power 5 school. Then-redshirt sophomore quarterback Rusty Smith produced what many consider to be the best game by a quarterback in school history, completing 27 of his 44 pass attempts for 463 yards and five touchdowns, both of which remain single-game records.

http://faufocus.blog.palmbeachpost....-minnesota-to-future-non-conference-schedule/

Go Gophers!!

per the Palm Beach Post:

Florida Atlantic will hit the road looking to replicate one of the more impressive wins in program history, as a team spokesperson confirmed to The Post that the Owls will travel to Minnesota to play the Golden Gophers on Sept. 3, 2020.

FAU is 1-2 against Minnesota and hasn’t played the Golden Gophers since a 37-3 loss in 2008, though the Owls’ lone win, a 42-39 victory on Sept. 15, 2007, at then-Dolphins Stadium, remains the team’s only victory against a Power 5 school. Then-redshirt sophomore quarterback Rusty Smith produced what many consider to be the best game by a quarterback in school history, completing 27 of his 44 pass attempts for 463 yards and five touchdowns, both of which remain single-game records.

http://faufocus.blog.palmbeachpost....-minnesota-to-future-non-conference-schedule/

Go Gophers!!
We had no chance with Rusty Smith. It was a trap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The Gophers will play road nonconference games in odd years (when they have 5 home B1G games). That means the P5 home games will be in even seasons.

It also means that at best they will likely ever have one per year (home or away), and probably not every year. That means two "cupcakes" per year minimum.

I listened to the FAU game on the radio that was at Miami. I remember they couldn't find the down markers before the game and I believe Everett Withers was the one who found them and javelined them out on to the field instead of handing them to the refs. Seemed like that was the kiss of death for that game as it was all downhill from there.

Add Tennessee Tech to the slate of future games. Per the U:

Minnesota Adds Three To Future Schedules

Future Schedules

The University of Minnesota has added three schools to its upcoming home football schedules with two games to be played in 2020 and one game in 2023.

Minnesota will host Florida Atlantic on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020, at TCF Bank Stadium to start the season and then will welcome Tennessee Tech a few days later on Saturday, Sept. 12. Minnesota’s 2020 schedule is now complete with 12 games, as is its 2021 schedule.

The Gophers are 2-1 all-time against Florida Atlantic, which went 11-3 in 2017. The Gophers won the most recent contest 37-3 at home in 2008. Minnesota has never faced Tennessee Tech.

Minnesota also added a home game with Eastern Michigan to the 2023 schedule. The Gophers will host Eastern Michigan on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023. This is the first announced game on Minnesota’s 2023 schedule.

The Gophers have never played Eastern Michigan.

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully BYU improves by 2020 or we might go 6 years without playing anybody in the top 75 during the non-conference.

Hopefully BYU improves by 2020 or we might go 6 years without playing anybody in the top 75 during the non-conference.

Fresno St was ranked last year, I'd guess they'll be a top 75 team this year and possibly in 2019.

Fresno St was ranked last year, I'd guess they'll be a top 75 team this year and possibly in 2019.
Yeah, fair enough, let's say top 50 then.
They finished 48th last year, projected at 64th currently by Massey.

Fresno State will be good this season. They're projected at 44th in the S&P+ (finished 24th last season)

Fresno State will be good this season. They're projected at 44th in the S&P+ (finished 24th last season)

The worst of both worlds. They can possibly beat the Gophers and will only put relatives of the team in the stands.

New Mexico State
Fresno State
Iowa
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern Wildcats

There should be wins in that Home schedule. Problem is won't sell any extra Season Tickets or lead to any 50,000+ gates.

Top Bottom