Stollings if confirmed gone

gophsfan

Reaction score
If confirmed, it looks like Stollings will have struck first. Obviously she saw the writing on the wall and knew she would be under the gun next year. This gives her a high major job and some years to turn around a team that hasn't had a winning record in five years, versus the possibility of being let go here next year if the Gophs had a down year.

As I previously said in another post, I had heard there were quite a few players considering transferring. I wonder if Stollings was aware of this also and this played a part in her looking to interview elsewhere? I assumed we would learn more on the transfers after the end of season banquet next week. Assuming Stollings is gone, will this change these players minds? Or will more players also consider leaving, like Pitts and Hubbard, along with the recruits Stollings had coming in next year? You have to think there's a strong chance they consider going elsewhere. Going to be an interesting few days ahead either way.

She "saw the writing on the wall"? Or maybe, like Brenda before her, she found that this is not an easy place to recruit outside talent to. Some of our fans tend to always assume we can do better when it comes to coaches. That is a dangerous position to take when recruiting the better players is at least a four year process. They start to get offers at ninth grade or sooner. I hope we don't have to start that process over now. "I had heard" there were quite a few leaving? What does that even mean? How many and which ones? We have four players returning who averaged more than 15 minutes per game this year. If none of these players leave then we are fine.

Disagree. The Gophers can do better, and should have done better when she was hired while the Gophers roster included two All Americans. The job was a plum that year and Teague blew it. Stollings would be fine at Drake or UNI but the Gophers deserve better.

Disagree. The Gophers can do better, and should have done better when she was hired while the Gophers roster included two All Americans. The job was a plum that year and Teague blew it. Stollings would be fine at Drake or UNI but the Gophers deserve better.

TT is a dumpster fire if she takes it, heard lots of players have left there. She’ll have her hands full. Mark Coyle will be able to find a much better coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TT is a dumpster fire if she takes it, heard lots of players have left there. She’ll have her hands full. Mark Coyle will be able to find a much better coach.

There's no surer dumpster fire indicator than Texas Tech hiring Sheryl Swoopes as an assistant. Naturally, I assume Stollings will play up her roles as a dumpster fire extinguisher at various stops.

The money will be interesting. When former Purdue coach Kristy Curry left Texas Tech five years ago she was earning somewhere around $750 to $800 thousand (she took a pay cut to get out of Lubbock and go to Alabama). Her Raid Raider replacement, Candi Whitaker, was making, from reports, about $350k/year.

There's no surer dumpster fire indicator than Texas Tech hiring Sheryl Swoopes as an assistant. Naturally, I assume Stollings will play up her roles as a dumpster fire extinguisher at various stops.

The money will be interesting. When former Purdue coach Kristy Curry left Texas Tech five years ago she was earning somewhere around $750 to $800 thousand (she took a pay cut to get out of Lubbock and go to Alabama). Her Raid Raider replacement, Candi Whitaker, was making, from reports, about $350k/year.

Yes, Swooped will have to be inherited. Old coach Sharp from NC days still has her hands on the program and that’s part of the reason it’s been bad. She’d probably get a lot more than Whitaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On further review, Whitaker was making around $450k/year. Still, that's less than what Stolling's makes at Minnesota. And, yes, I agree, Marlene (and Nikki) would likely receive substantial raises.

Of course, one can't help wondering if Stollings pursued or is pursuing the Virginia job. That's located in her recruiting wheel house.

Does anybody think at this point Stollings had better get this job? How endearing to have your coach looking for another job, and not a particularly juicy one at that, after being given the not particularly deserved opportunity at Minnesota? Not an easy place to recruit outside talent? Apparently it’s even harder to recruit the home talent. Maybe that’s what had Stollings seeing the writing on the wall. All of Borton’s prominent recruits are gone now and she’s left with her own... and only one Minnesotan at that. If there was a sliver of chance to score Bueckers, pretty sure that’s out the door now. I am so done with Stollings. Hopefully the Gophers will put the effort and money into scoring a reputable big-name coach, but I won’t be holding my breath on that.

Lubbock, Tx? I would love to have Coyle can her for interviewing.

She "saw the writing on the wall"? Or maybe, like Brenda before her, she found that this is not an easy place to recruit outside talent to. Some of our fans tend to always assume we can do better when it comes to coaches. That is a dangerous position to take when recruiting the better players is at least a four year process. They start to get offers at ninth grade or sooner. I hope we don't have to start that process over now. "I had heard" there were quite a few leaving? What does that even mean? How many and which ones? We have four players returning who averaged more than 15 minutes per game this year. If none of these players leave then we are fine.

First off, we have more outstate than instate players that have come in under Stollings, so your just wrong in your statement. Yes we had a couple transfer back, but they left first. We continue to lose MN kids that have the ability to play here that Stollings didn't want or was unable to land. Backes, Hoiby, Lee, Czinano, Mershon are all going to high majors (4 of which are in B10) and several other players like Walstad could play here. Stapleton from the 2019 class has already committed to Wisconsin.

As far as thinking we can do better in terms of Stollings. I was critical of her for half the season at least. Then the team really came together and it seemed like her vision was starting to produce, and even defensively we seemed to improve. However, short of a great second half from Bell, we we're in a lot of trouble with Green Bay and the Oregon game was as bad a defensive effort as you could have(but they are a really really really good team). So I don't think it's wrong for anyone to want our program to perform at a high level. Obviously this takes time. But a failure to secure the borders shouldn't and it does make one question why. This doesn't mean I don't like her outstate recruits. Pitts and Hubbard have been great additions and these are Stollings recruits.

As far as the transfers. I said I heard players were "considering". I stand by that, as I did. I have not said they were leaving, just that I heard there was consideration. I'm not going to out the person that told me this as I don't have their permission for that. But it was more than a few players, and I will leave it at that. I cannot exclude all of your four important players from what I was told. I will say, that the more I think about it, that if that part was true, maybe it would play a role in Stollings interviewing elsewhere?

So honestly, at seasons end, I personally found myself conflicted with Stollings, like I'm sure a lot of people did. I was more able to see her vision of what she wanted from her guard game. But defensively we still need a lot of work. She also really needs to get a handle on the Post position, she's had plenty of time for this, and I can't tell if she doesn't have a clue on it or just doesn't find it an important position in her system. But she's had time to get her own Post players so I have trouble releasing her from responsibility. I came around to being ok with Stollings coming back, and who wouldn't since we ended up with a decent record and made the tournament. I also really wanted to see what this recruiting class brought as she had to fully know what we were graduating in Wagner, Edwards, and Fernstrom, so any deficiencies would all be on her and her recruiting of players. Stollings style was more entertaining than Borton's for sure. But I can't help but feel we somewhat came up short team wise with the careers of Banham and Wagner. So in the end, I am conflicted on Stollings, wanted to give her another year to see more, but in no way am I or should others, be willing to accept season after season of nothing more than mediocrity. To me that's like always looking for moral victories from losses. I think we have to aim higher, even if that means taking the chance of going backwards.

And Shades, I hear ya. Interviewing elsewhere and then not leaving, that would make it even tougher to sell the program. Of course she could always say that she was trying to leverage her good season into a contract extension and salary increase.

I too found myself conflicted re: Stollings at the end of the season. I was calling for her head early in the season after the terrible loss to San Diego and then, at the time, what was expected to be a bad Nebraska team. (A home loss.) But then the team seemed to come together in the second half of the season and the team improved a bit defensively, albeit still not better than average defensively. I've always liked the up-tempo offense and never much liked the defensive deficiencies. At the end of this season, I was comfortable with Stollings as next year's coach and felt that next year's team, barring defections, could again gain an NCAA berth. Although I would certainly like to have a coach that does a better job of "closing the borders", I'm still not seeing a ton of recent recruits that have been major impact players at other major schools. I personally think that we've been in a bit of a "down cycle" in Minnesota high school girls basketball during Stollings' tenure, so I haven't been overly concerned with the fact that she hasn't signed a lot of Minnesota girls. (I've heard that this cycle may change from a down cycle to an up cycle in upcoming years, so recruiting Minnesota girls is about to become more important for the U of M head coach.) As far as transfer talk, that doesn't concern me much until it happens. It's my feeling that every program is subject to transfer talk at this time of year, including some of the major programs. And, in terms of transfers, it should be pointed out that while many BIG women's programs were hit with transfers last off-season, the Gophers/Stollings losses were very minimal. (They lost Sue Key during the season and Paloma Gonzales during this past season. Some other BIG teams lost key players to transfer, including Maryland, Michigan, and OSU.) I doubt that transfer talk has anything to do with Stollings looking at other job opportunities. I also doubt that she is looking at other opportunities so she has more leverage in negotiating a better salary at the U of M. I agree with those who say that Stollings interviewing with other programs may be a "kiss of death" for her career here, if not this year, ....soon. Why she would even consider interviewing for a Texas Tech job befuddles me. It's a lousy program, albeit with a storied history...but that storied history may well hold a new coach back. And I will never buy the idea that the Gopher program cannot be better than middle of the pack. Gopher women's volleyball, hockey, and softball have all recently had very successful seasons and there is no reason basketball can't do the same. I'm old enough to remember well the years of Whalen and McCarville and as long as I remember those years, you'll never be able to convince me that basketball at the U of M cannot be very successful. Attendance for Gopher games has been solid and could be much better.

You know I’m all about Bueckers. She seems to be heavily interested in Notre Dame. Now if the Gophers could quickly land Ivey from ND, that should hurt ND in the recruiting and really help the Gophers with recruiting, and not just with Bueckers. If they can land Ivey, I’m feeling better than ever.

I know this might be all for nothing if Stollings ends up not leaving, but I put out my ideas (some really out there with little to no possibility but a guy can dream.) Plus I had about an hour to kill of downtime. Any glaring name people feel strongly should be considered? Any people feel strongly should not be included for various reasons. I put a * by my personal top 5.

The Gold Standard/Possibly out of reach wish list:
- Lindsay Whalen*
- Jim Peterson*
- Becky Hammon
- Kara Lawson
- Cheryl Reeve

Current Power Five Conference Head coaches/another out of reach wish list:
- Jeff Walz- Louisville
- Amy Williams- Nebraska
- Suzie Merchant- Michigan State
- Carolyn Kieger- Marquette

Current Mid-Major Head Coaches:
- Felisha Legette-Jack- Buffalo
- Aaron Johnston- South Dakota State University
- Jenn Rizzotti- George Washington*
- Tonya Cardoza- Temple

Misc:
- Nell Fortner- ESPN Analyst/Former Auburn Coach*
- Jamelle Elliott- Former University of Cincinnati
- Amanda Butler- SEC Network Analyst/ Former Florida Coach
- Melanie Balcomb- Former Vanderbilt Coach

Current Assistant Coaches:
- Niele Ivey- Notre Dame*
- Marissa Mosley- UConn/ Former Gopher Assistant
- Jolette Law- South Carolina/Former Illinois Head coach
- Fred Chmiel- South Carolina/ Former Gopher Assistant
- Tasha Butts- LSU
- Chelsea Newton- Georgia
- Tia Jackson- Miami
- Tina Thompson- Texas
- Lacey Goldwire- Arkansas/former Iowa assistant
- Sam Purcell- Louisville

I'd add Dayton's Shauna Green and Miami's (Ohio) Megan Duffy (yes, it's Duffy's first year; but, unlike Lindsey, she is working at her coaching craft). Duffy was an assistant at St. Johns, George Washington (Tsipis) and Michigan (Barnes-Arico) before taking the head job in Oxford, Ohio.

And, yes, I like Cordoza.

If we are going to pay in the $850 to $900k range, some other doors open.

You know I’m all about Bueckers. She seems to be heavily interested in Notre Dame. Now if the Gophers could quickly land Ivey from ND, that should hurt ND in the recruiting and really help the Gophers with recruiting, and not just with Bueckers. If they can land Ivey, I’m feeling better than ever.

100% with you on this option. I still think it is a long shot unless Coyle is willing to spend bigger bucks. He has done that for men's FB, BB and hockey so not an impossible idea.

While Whalen might be a good coach down the line (if she wants to coach, it looks like she is having a great time doing some Wolves games and might go the Kara Lawson route on TV), it's a tall order to have your first coaching job be a P5 head coaching job.

Now Raoul is saying Stollings is likely to take the job but the announcement may not happen to Monday. Awkwardly, that's also the day of the team banquet.

Now Raoul is saying Stollings is likely to take the job but the announcement may not happen to Monday. Awkwardly, that's also the day of the team banquet.

That was based on Ryan Hyatt (I stuck the video in another thread) saying that if Stollings wanted to visit Texas Tech to look over the facilities, no body from the Athletic Department would be around on Saturday because they are all in Frisco Texas for a spring football scrimmage. Sort of "we really want you but let us make clear where you stand". (My comment not Hyatt's).

Stollings may well take the TT job, but some of those Texas blog writers get prematurely excited. 10 days ago one had Foley from Ark-Little Rock ready to accept the job. When he said no thanks, it was reported Aaron Johnston was interested and interviewing, but it turned out he took a phone call about the job and said he wasn't interested.

Stollings may well take the TT job, but some of those Texas blog writers get prematurely excited. 10 days ago one had Foley from Ark-Little Rock ready to accept the job. When he said no thanks, it was reported Aaron Johnston was interested and interviewing, but it turned out he took a phone call about the job and said he wasn't interested.

True, but in this case it has been confirmed that she interviewed.

Yes, I'm bored waiting for the announcement.

So, to spice things up, should Mark Coyle talk to Niki Dawkins about the head coaching spot?

Yes, I assume Dawkins is most likely remaining with Stollings. And I'm well aware that her second and last head coaching job ended unpleasantly; but would she really turn down a substantial raise? Like most assistants, it's difficult to sort out her responsibilities and thereby her successes and failures.

Yes, I'm bored waiting for the announcement.

So, to spice things up, should Mark Coyle talk to Niki Dawkins about the head coaching spot?

No, that would be settling. Go for top-end Ivey.

They saved a lot of money not having to buy Stollings out. Now let’s put it to good use.

Assorted thoughts: Still confused as to why Stollings would leave for the tumbleweed in Lubbock. I find it to be a strange move, without knowing the real reason behind it. Does she plan to break the news to her players (or former players) before tomorrow's banquet? That's my guess. Could make for an interesting banquet. As for Iggy's question as to whether Coyle should consider Dawkins as a possible replacement, I'd guess that she would be way down the list. I'm hoping that Coyle will view this coaching change as an opportunity to hire a coach that is finally going to get this program to its potential. . The money the U will save in not having to pay a buyout to Stollings will hopefully be used toward the salary of a new coach. Ivey should be someone that Coyle should contact, but the recruiting of Bueckers should have nothing to do with that. In my opinion, Ivey is a good candidate either way, with or without Bueckers, who is just a pipe dream for Gopher fans. . I am also hoping that Coyle will make a call to Whalen to find out if coaching is in her future plans. If so, she is still my first choice and a Whalen/Peterson tandem would be a great option. I realize that lack of college coaching experience could be an Achilles heel, but it wouldn't be for long. I do feel that Whalen would be able to recruit immediately and that would help while she works to develop her coaching chops. And, as I'm not well-informed on Stolling's contract, I am wondering if TT will have to pay the U to buy out her contract. I doubt it, but I know that's a clause written into some college coaching contracts. Either way, not having to buy out Stollings will make this move easier for the athletic department to swallow. Enough of my rambling...

Ivey should be someone that Coyle should contact, but the recruiting of Bueckers should have nothing to do with that.

I think a better way to put this is the recruiting of Bueckers shouldn’t be the only reason to sign Ivey and it isn’t. As I said, she’d help recruiting overall immensely. But Bueckers is important and signing Ivey is a nice bonus effect of trying to lure Bueckers. It sounds like ND is in the lead for Bueckers and others after the recent championship. Ivey is very important for ND recruiting, and her getting signed as a head coach will take a bit of shine off ND and put it on the Gophers.

In my opinion, Ivey is a good candidate either way, with or without Bueckers, who is just a pipe dream for Gopher fans.

Dreams are important to have. Most of you weren’t even dreaming of making the NCAA tournament, but I stayed positive throughout and looked what happened. Who was the only one who ranked the Gophers #4 in the conference before the season? Without dreams you’re not striving for those big goals. Instead you’re settling, like settling for Dawkins. Settling for WNIT. Let’s stop settling!

I am also hoping that Coyle will make a call to Whalen to find out if coaching is in her future plans. If so, she is still my first choice and a Whalen/Peterson tandem would be a great option. I realize that lack of college coaching experience could be an Achilles heel, but it wouldn't be for long. I do feel that Whalen would be able to recruit immediately and that would help while she works to develop her coaching chops. And, as I'm not well-informed on Stolling's contract, I am wondering if TT will have to pay the U to buy out her contract. I doubt it, but I know that's a clause written into some college coaching contracts.

This gets a big “oh brother” from me. There’s no indication that Whalen is even interested in coaching. Is she coaching now? No, she’s broadcasting. There’s also no indication that she would be particular good at coaching, but Whalen gets brought up because of her name. Whalen bringing the Gophers to prominence as a coach is the real pipe dream here.

Beware of hiring a "recruiter" as a HC. This should be a desirable job with the new facilities. Aim high.

Shades, if you can dream about Bueckers donning a Gopher uniform, I can certainly dream about Whalen being the coach. Many Gopher fans are hoping to get a coach that can "lock up the borders" and get more of the local Minnesota talent. IMO, Whalen could do that. How many Minnesota recruits could say no to Whalen? Not many. She is the name that is synonymous with U of M basketball and Minnesota women's basketball. As for coaching experience, I'll grant that we don't know if she can coach, but I wouldn't bet against her. She's been very successful in all of her other basketball ventures. Ever hear of Dawn Staley? She went directly from the WNBA to being the head coach at Temple and in her 6 years there, she guided that program to 6 NCAA berths in 6 years before taking the South Carolina job, where she has been marginally successful (sarcasm). IMO, some people deserve a pass in climbing the coaching ladder and Whalen would fit that category for me. You ask why she is broadcasting now instead of coaching. Well , that's obvious, given the fact that she is still playing for the Lynx. Candace Parker is also doing some off-season broadcasting. People presume that Whalen is headed for a broadcasting career after her WNBA career is over, but that's not necessarily so. I've heard her discuss that at length on KFAN and she has indicated that she is exploring her options and broadcasting is one of those options. She hasn't ruled out coaching, but it's not practical for her to be a college basketball coach and play in the W at the same time, although I believe Staley did that. Yes, Whalen as head coach of the Gophers may be a bit of a stretch, but if it is, it should only be because coaching isn't something she wants to pursue. IMO, Coyle at least has to ask the question. If Whalen did ever become the Gopher coach, I'm thinking that interest in the program would be at an all-time high. And I'm also thinking that Whalen would be successful. Just my two cents worth...

Per Darren Wolfson at 10:25 AM

Stollings officially has Texas Tech offer in hand. Will decide today if she will accept.

frankly, as public as this has been, she would be a fool not to take it because it seems like with fans and media the Minnesota door is shut already and there is no coming back from this.

Per Darren Wolfson at 10:25 AM

Stollings officially has Texas Tech offer in hand. Will decide today if she will accept.

frankly, as public as this has been, she would be a fool not to take it because it seems like with fans and media the Minnesota door is shut already and there is no coming back from this.

And

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom