Stollings if confirmed gone

http://kstp.com/sports/marlene-stollings-gophers-womens-basketball-ncaa-texas-tech/4854664/?cat=7

A University of Minnesota spokesperson tells KSTP that they are aware of Marlene Stollings' intentions to interview for the open head coaching job at Texas Tech.

Update: a source close to Stollings tells KSTP on Monday morning that she has an offer from Texas Tech and will make a decision later in the day.

Please decide to go, Marlene. How do you come back and think this hasn't hurt the program? Not exactly giving a vote of confidence to your returning players and good luck convincing especially out of state recruits that they should come to Minnesota. Seems sort of strange and sort of bungled by someone. Kind of like her defensive schemes.

“will make a decision later in the day.”

She still has a decision to make after putting in the effort to get the job? Kinda sounds like a contract leveraging thing. Let her go already.

Not a Gopher but a local and I say the U should be aiming high for a new coach. Either steal an established P5 name or grab one of the middle majors emerging stars (Baranczyk?). This is great job for the right person. New facilities and great attendance and fan support in a classic old venue. Just need the right person and commitment to maybe bring this near the level of Gopher hockey and volleyball.

She still has a decision to make after putting in the effort to get the job? Kinda sounds like a contract leveraging thing. Let her go already.
Agreed. Get her out of here. Its not like she's a great coach under the best of circumstences. With how this has been handled? Just go away Marlene. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why would Ivey want to come here (a place where she has no connections as far as I know) when she's coaching at her alma mater and her boss is 62 and likely to retire within the next 3-5 years? She could bide her time and practically be guaranteed a much better job than what she would have here - plus coming here would be pretty risky and problematic for the chances of that ultimate move happening. It doesn't make any sense from what I see.

Why would Ivey want to come here (a place where she has no connections as far as I know) when she's coaching at her alma mater and her boss is 62 and likely to retire within the next 3-5 years? She could bide her time and practically be guaranteed a much better job than what she would have here - plus coming here would be pretty risky and problematic for the chances of that ultimate move happening. It doesn't make any sense from what I see.

She can always be considered for ND when the time comes. Why play second fiddle when you don’t have to?

She can always be considered for ND when the time comes. Why play second fiddle when you don’t have to?

Presumably she is virtually guaranteed to be Notre Dame's next head coach if she just rides out the next few years as an assistant. And, presumably, she very much wants to make that happen for a variety of reasons. Again, why would she jeopardize her chance at making that happen by taking on a risky position? Her being successful here is no sure thing, and would Notre Dame want to hire her in 5 years if she has middling results here?

And, again, if she is going to leave Notre Dame - why would she come here? She is from St. Louis, played at Notre Dame, and has never played or coached in Minnesota at any level. If she wants to get a head coaching job instead of being "second fiddle" (which she has already done for 10 years, btw), why would she do it here? There are many other better jobs that make sense for her assuming that she wants to go that route.

First Choice: Jim Peterson
Second Choice: Fred Chmiel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Presumably she is virtually guaranteed to be Notre Dame's next head coach if she just rides out the next few years as an assistant. And, presumably, she very much wants to make that happen for a variety of reasons. Again, why would she jeopardize her chance at making that happen by taking on a risky position? Her being successful here is no sure thing, and would Notre Dame want to hire her in 5 years if she has middling results here?

And, again, if she is going to leave Notre Dame - why would she come here? She is from St. Louis, played at Notre Dame, and has never played or coached in Minnesota at any level. If she wants to get a head coaching job instead of being "second fiddle" (which she has already done for 10 years, btw), why would she do it here? There are many other better jobs that make sense for her assuming that she wants to go that route.

I'm agnostic on whether Ivey should be the next Gopher coach or would take the job (I love the perhaps-equally unlikely Whalen idea and I am also intrigued by Connie Yori, which means all of my favorites are unlikely since she has said her HC days are over; oh, Kieger seems like a good choice). But Ivey is 40 years old. McGraw is only 62 and certainly seems likely to be around for five or more seasons. If Ivey is so into being a HC, would she really want to wait that long?

Yeah, and 62 isn’t as old as it used to be. She could kick it for another ten years.

Why would Ivey want to come here? I dunno... if she was a previously a candidate doesn’t that mean she was interested?

Yes, I'm bored waiting for the announcement.

So, to spice things up, should Mark Coyle talk to Niki Dawkins about the head coaching spot?

Yes, I assume Dawkins is most likely remaining with Stollings. And I'm well aware that her second and last head coaching job ended unpleasantly; but would she really turn down a substantial raise? Like most assistants, it's difficult to sort out her responsibilities and thereby her successes and failures.

If we can't get the very top tier, this might not be out of the question. IF she has been behind the out of state recruiting over the last couple of years then she deserves some credit. I have noticed during games that players have looked to her for guidance quite often. If she has the confidence of current players and recruits that could carry some weight. She might have some skills that have been overlooked. Obviously she is female and minority and both of those can be a positive in recruiting.

If we can't get the very top tier, this might not be out of the question. IF she has been behind the out of state recruiting over the last couple of years then she deserves some credit. I have noticed during games that players have looked to her for guidance quite often. If she has the confidence of current players and recruits that could carry some weight. She might have some skills that have been overlooked. Obviously she is female and minority and both of those can be a positive in recruiting.

If I was Dawkins, I would have been in Coyle's office Friday afternoon pushing my vision for the program. I'm waiting to see if Niki is in Lubbock for Stollings' introductory presser like she was four years ago in Minneapolis.

Top Bottom