STrib: Seth Green shifts positions as Gophers' quarterback battle down to three

with all due respect - people are saying "Morgan didn't play, so that proves he wasn't ready to play."

No, it doesn't. the only thing it proves was that the coaches made a decision not to play him. That decision may have been based on his readiness to play. Or it may have been based on a desire to preserve a year of eligibility at all costs.

Until Fleck writes his autobiography, we will never know for sure.

I would hope that, if Morgan was capable of helping the team, he would have played. If Morgan was capable of helping the team, and the coaches still chose not to play him, then that is a very different story.

Considering how Croft and Rhoda played - if Morgan was truly below them on the depth chart, then that doesn't say much for Morgan as a QB.

Do not believe Fleck threw games to preserve an extra year of eligibility for Morgan. Not to purposely go from 9 wins to 5 wins. I should say from 13 wins to 5 wins. PJ is far too competitive for that.

Do not believe Fleck threw games to preserve an extra year of eligibility for Morgan. Not to purposely go from 9 wins to 5 wins. I should say from 13 wins to 5 wins. <b>PJ is far too competitive for that.</b>

He didn't throw (intentionally lose) games. And yet, he said more than once that wins don't matter in year 'zero'. And he coached like they didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not believe Fleck threw games to preserve an extra year of eligibility for Morgan. Not to purposely go from 9 wins to 5 wins. I should say from 13 wins to 5 wins. PJ is far too competitive for that.

Throwing games /= making a choice to develop a player and hopefully have him play even better later and get even more wins....

So there is a bit of a conundrum here? Morgan was:

1) Best QB available in 2017 but PJ was looking at 2021. PJ was not “all-in” on 2017. Bad juju.
Or
2) Not able to beat out Croft, the antichrist of QBs. In fact, Croft is apparently not even a QB which must come as a surprise.

Look, if a coach wants to take a long-term view toward building a program, that is perfectly legitimate. Just be honest about it.

If Morgan was the 'best' QB on the roster last year, but they held him out of competition to save a red-shirt year, be honest about it.

The fans are paying real money for tickets. They don't get a rebate for a "throw-away" year. The businesses that advertise on the TV and radio broadcasts are paying real money for ad rates. They don't get a rebate for a "throw-away" year.

The whole concept of a throw-away year is BS in my book. The coaches - every season - should be doing whatever they can - within reason - to win games. If that means you burn a red-shirt to play a kid, because that kid gives the team a better chance to win, you burn the red-shirt.

Most likely Morgan wasn’t better or on par until mid season. You don’t burn a redshirt for a few games when you can have a player for a full season. You start FR at the beginning of the year if they can play or burn RS if you can get at least 8 games out of them.

Top Bottom