STrib: Seth Green shifts positions as Gophers' quarterback battle down to three

Being blown out 70-0 in the last two games is indicative that it is more than just a QB problem. Yes, the QBs were terrible.

It’s possible Morgan just wasn’t ready early on in the season. The jump from HS to Big Ten football is generally tougher for a QB compared to most other positions. Then maybe by mid season he was ready but the coaches didn’t want to burn the redshirt at that point.

So, anyone see these QBs throw in spring practice, or...?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7buirYcmV5nSwIRW" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/emoji-idk-thinking-3o7buirYcmV5nSwIRW">via GIPHY</a></p>

So, anyone see these QBs throw in spring practice, or...?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3o7buirYcmV5nSwIRW" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/emoji-idk-thinking-3o7buirYcmV5nSwIRW">via GIPHY</a></p>

According to some that have, VV doesn't throw a tight spiral. Down to 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it doesn't. PJ can recruit a player with higher upside long term for next year. That doesn't mean he's a better QB as a true Freshman than someone who is a RS Sophomore.

Didn't say that, but if this said recruit does have a higher upside, then I would think by his redshirt FR year he would be on par or even surpass Morgan when Morgan is a RS Jr. Thus making the redshirt year of Morgan a complete waste of time, IF he was the best QB on the team last year.
I'm with SON on the redshirting. A player who is ready to play and is the best player at the position should play to help the team win now. There are too many things that are unknown in the future to hold quality players out and not try to win as many games as you can each and EVERY year.

Rhoda was asked to stay because it was obvious that Morgan wasn't ready. Case closed. Croft wasn't ready and never was going to be ready. Someone will play QB this year whether they are ready or not.

Rhoda was asked to stay because it was obvious that Morgan wasn't ready. Case closed. Croft wasn't ready and never was going to be ready. Someone will play QB this year whether they are ready or not.

Huh?

Rhoda confirmed his return a total of 12 hours after Tanner Morgan flipped to the Gophers.

Rhoda was asked back because he was an ideal safety net (given the situation). He was going to be ZERO stress. He is a good teammate. He played a position with zero depth. His scholarship would come off the books in one season.

Regardless of what Morgan would have turned out to be as a true FR, PJ was going to try to bring Rhoda back.

Everything is your post in accurate and reasonable. It doesn't at all indicate that Morgan was ready. He wasn't. Was there any point to bring Rhoda back? Well yeah. He won us OOC games that maybe no one else would have. The Nebraska game isn't proof otherwise.

Everything is your post in accurate and reasonable. It doesn't at all indicate that Morgan was ready. He wasn't. Was there any point to bring Rhoda back? Well yeah. He won us OOC games that maybe no one else would have. The Nebraska game isn't proof otherwise.

I have no idea if Morgan was ready or not, no one does. The fact that Rhoda came back is zero proof that Morgan wasn't ready. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

Was there any point to bringing Rhoda back? Absolutely. We needed depth. Bad.

As far as judging the motivation for bringing Rhoda back by how things played out in the future. . .weird. No one can tell the future.

Lastly, we have no way of knowing this, but I think recruiting was likely easier for PJ with a 5-7 team than it would have been with a 2-10/3-9 team.

PJ stated he brought CR back as at the time DC11 was the only QB on roster who had ever practiced as a Gopher and that wasn't under University investigation that could have led to suspension/removal.

PJ stated he brought CR back as at the time DC11 was the only QB on roster who had ever practiced as a Gopher and that wasn't under University investigation that could have led to suspension/removal.

Exactly. The Gophers were otherwise headed towards having to use a JUGS machine with a jersey to have spring ball.

Yup, we had one other QB, there wasn't another option.... it was simple math.

Yup, we had one other QB, there wasn't another option.... it was simple math.

Well, technically we had Mark Williams, Neil McLaurin as scholarship QBs at that time in addition to DC and SG in addition to Morgan as a true freshman. Bupkus starting experience.

All of those guys are now playing other positions with the exception of Croft. The weird McLaurin/Taa’mu tale will forever be one of the biggest recruiting blemishes of the KC era. Wish we had the inside scoop on that.

Additionally Fleck obviously prefers to have a vocal leader presence and maybe after meeting with him he felt CR could provide that as a senior. Despite the struggles on the field last year CR never started a game which tells me that he didn’t think much of his actual skills, and he did want to develop DC but it was an oil and water situation from the get go that turned into a water on oil-fire situation by the end of Wisconsin week.

Considering the reports out of practice are locked up tighter than a dick’s hatband we will see nothing. And what little we do see is likely to be misleading because the defense is vanilla, the QBs are off limits, and key players are being held out for health reasons.

What were the takeaways from the last few spring games - Johannesson was the next Alstott/Riggins/James/Hillis/Hoge and that nice DC>Still go route completion that made us think we might have a nice passing game...

Ahhh...the memories. Then we had the Rhoda to TJ crossing route pass for a TD against the Beavers (I'm still hearing that chainsaw...). The future looked bright for a few weeks, until the realization of how vanilla the offense would remain...regardless of the need for in-game adjustments.

Exactly. The Gophers were otherwise headed towards having to use a JUGS machine with a jersey to have spring ball.

Tough to bring down, throws a consistent spiral, rarely gets in trouble...what's not to like?

I have no idea if Morgan was ready or not, no one does. The fact that Rhoda came back is zero proof that Morgan wasn't ready. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

Was there any point to bringing Rhoda back? Absolutely. We needed depth. Bad.

As far as judging the motivation for bringing Rhoda back by how things played out in the future. . .weird. No one can tell the future.

Lastly, we have no way of knowing this, but I think recruiting was likely easier for PJ with a 5-7 team than it would have been with a 2-10/3-9 team.

PJ did. Morgan didn't play. If he is the guy this year it is likely another long season and we better get Duggan or a graduate transfer.

Ahhh...the memories. Then we had the Rhoda to TJ crossing route pass for a TD against the Beavers (I'm still hearing that chainsaw...). The future looked bright for a few weeks, until the realization of how vanilla the offense would remain...regardless of the need for in-game adjustments.

We had the luxury of catching OSU and Neb at perhaps the lowest point ever in history. I think the Buffalo game struggles were kind of a splash of water...oh no.

Well, technically we had Mark Williams, Neil McLaurin as scholarship QBs at that time in addition to DC and SG in addition to Morgan as a true freshman. Bupkus starting experience.

At the risk of Cruze posting, I will remind you MW and SG were both part of the Kangaroo Court event. So, DC was the only QB on roster that had ever taken place in a Gopher practice - that wasn't facing possible suspension. I recall that being a talking point on why PJ wanted CR back.

with all due respect - people are saying "Morgan didn't play, so that proves he wasn't ready to play."

No, it doesn't. the only thing it proves was that the coaches made a decision not to play him. That decision may have been based on his readiness to play. Or it may have been based on a desire to preserve a year of eligibility at all costs.

Until Fleck writes his autobiography, we will never know for sure.

I would hope that, if Morgan was capable of helping the team, he would have played. If Morgan was capable of helping the team, and the coaches still chose not to play him, then that is a very different story.

Considering how Croft and Rhoda played - if Morgan was truly below them on the depth chart, then that doesn't say much for Morgan as a QB.

with all due respect - people are saying "Morgan didn't play, so that proves he wasn't ready to play."

No, it doesn't. the only thing it proves was that the coaches made a decision not to play him. That decision may have been based on his readiness to play. Or it may have been based on a desire to preserve a year of eligibility at all costs.

Until Fleck writes his autobiography, we will never know for sure.

I would hope that, if Morgan was capable of helping the team, he would have played. If Morgan was capable of helping the team, and the coaches still chose not to play him, then that is a very different story.

Considering how Croft and Rhoda played - if Morgan was truly below them on the depth chart, then that doesn't say much for Morgan as a QB.

Morgan may have been below Croft and Rhoda in August. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t better than them by November. Or now.

NFL? 1st rounder?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ZqlvCTNHpqrio" width="480" height="259" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/laughing-despicable-me-minions-ZqlvCTNHpqrio">via GIPHY</a></p>

I’m simply saying that he is indeed a QB; three separate division 1 professional coaching staffs thought/think Croft can play. Two at MN, one at TN State.

Furthermore, it’s not outside the realm of possibility that players can improve with a change in scenery, maturity, coaching staff, and/or experience. I know it’s upsetting that the offensive woes could possibly have been more than Demry Croft...and I’m curious to see what happens at TN State.

Blah, blah blah speculation on last year again.... wow, do we need the season to start!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom