Herm Edwards sends harsh message: ASU football may cut scholarship players

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per AZCentral.com:

Arizona State football is trying to become more NFL-like, and first-year head coach Herm Edwards sent a harsh NFL-style message to his team Tuesday.

Edwards told his players before they began the fourth week of spring practice that cuts likely are coming, including to some with scholarships if performance dictates after the spring game April 13.

Edwards, an NFL head coach for eight years, then repeated that message to the media after practice, saying any scholarship players who are cut would retain their financial aid if they opt to stay at ASU as a student.

“There was a message sent, and the message was very clear that we’re in the process of evaluating players between now and next week,” Edwards said. “You’re going to find whether you continue to be part of it or not. I told them that when I first took the job.

“I told some guys who continue to stay in the training room, you’ve got no tape. I can’t grade you if you’re not on tape. All of a sudden, guys got well. It’s amazing. Sometimes these players think with 85 scholarships, I’m good. You’re not good. You’ve earned a scholarship because of your ability to be a student-athlete. It’s a combination of both. When you don’t meet that standard, there’s consequences. Consequences are sometimes tough. If I don’t apply those consequences, then I’m not doing my job as head coach.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/

Go Gophers!!

yikes. not sure why anyone would want to play for him, he seems like a total A$$

yikes. not sure why anyone would want to play for him, he seems like a total A$$

it's almost like he has to deal with entitled teenagers who don't appreciate working for your keep. Oh wait, that's pretty much all teenagers.

It's an interesting tactic he's using. I'm not sure how well it will work. I like the idea of holding people accountable. If and when Herm Edwards fails miserably as a college football coach, this will be the least of the reasons why.

The whole threatening people that are in the training room that he can’t evaluate you if you have no tape probably is making his ADs skin crawl as it just screams over the potential for lawsuits in the future from kids being “forced back into play” before they were ready, especially if someone gets reinjured. Will be interesting to see his course

The whole threatening people that are in the training room that he can’t evaluate you if you have no tape probably is making his ADs skin crawl as it just screams over the potential for lawsuits in the future from kids being “forced back into play” before they were ready, especially if someone gets reinjured. Will be interesting to see his course

Yeah, that's what popped into my head too.

Herm Edwards has seemed pretty out of touch during this entire process.

Word has it they just won't play... but keep their scholarship / the athletic department will still pay for school.

per AZCentral.com:

“I told some guys who continue to stay in the training room, you’ve got no tape. I can’t grade you if you’re not on tape. All of a sudden, guys got well. It’s amazing. Sometimes these players think with 85 scholarships, I’m good. You’re not good. You’ve earned a scholarship because of your ability to be a student-athlete. It’s a combination of both. When you don’t meet that standard, there’s consequences. Consequences are sometimes tough. If I don’t apply those consequences, then I’m not doing my job as head coach.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/ Go Gophers!!

Shoot them up with painkillers and get them on the field - just like in the pros. I predict a short tenure for Herm in Tempe.

Word has it they just won't play... but keep their scholarship / the athletic department will still pay for school.

So they keep their scholarship but don't play, which leaves the team short of players? Or they lose their athletic scholarship but the athletic department provides with with financial aid to continue classes?

The former hurts the product on the field, the latter cuts into the entire athletic department budget. Neither is sustainable as a long-term part of their culture, and it's clear Herm is just blowing smoke.

So they keep their scholarship but don't play, which leaves the team short of players? Or they lose their athletic scholarship but the athletic department provides with with financial aid to continue classes?

The former hurts the product on the field, the latter cuts into the entire athletic department budget. Neither is sustainable as a long-term part of their culture, and it's clear Herm is just blowing smoke.

I belive they still can fill those spots with scholarships .... they're just paying for their scholarship in another way for a dude who is off the team ... I'm no expert on how this works.

I have been to several of their practices. They love him and his staff. He is going to do fine there. People act as if he is a dinosaur, his group can coach.

He's either going to come out like a total savior or a total @ss.

Yeah, doesn't he know the only way to get millennials to play for you is through rap music, shiny helmets and white shoes? Personal accountability and team first is so 1960's!

Herm will be gone by December...

His opening press conference where he said that he is a Christian so he doesn't like anything to do with devils while the ASU Sun Devil logo was plastered all over right behind him is still by far my favorite moment of the Herm Edwards era at ASU. Will be tough to top that.

His opening press conference where he said that he is a Christian so he doesn't like anything to do with devils while the ASU Sun Devil logo was plastered all over right behind him is still by far my favorite moment of the Herm Edwards era at ASU. Will be tough to top that.

That was an all-timer. I have no insider information but he may be missing a cog upstairs.

Herm is mandating white shoes.
ASU and Herm will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's free to cut players if he wants, but it does change the expectations recruits have when selecting a school, and it might blow up in his face. I don't think the prospect of being cut in the spring and having to scramble to transfer if they want to continue to play football would be terribly appealing to recruits.

He has always been outspoken and an old fashioned "you earn what you get" coach. If the AD did not understand that when he hired him he made a big mistake. On the other hand, from everything I know he is a good and honest person with high standards. Some guys will choose to play for him.

The entire situation is on the bizarre side and if it all works out tip of the cap...but I know where my money is. Isn't the AD his former agent? I believe Graham's buyout was 12 million or so, trading for a coach that as his best trait is motivational speaking and hasn't been in the college game for a long time. Maybe he'll kill it on the recruiting trail as kids are drawn to his yardbarker personality. OTOH if it doesn't work that's an expensive, job-killing blunder.

He's free to cut players if he wants, but it does change the expectations recruits have when selecting a school, and it might blow up in his face. I don't think the prospect of being cut in the spring and having to scramble to transfer if they want to continue to play football would be terribly appealing to recruits.

He is also not the first guy to say this thing.

He is also not the first guy to say this thing.

I'm sure he is not the first person to say it, but I can't remember a college coach being so vocal about players who are out with injuries.

I just can't see how this wouldn't open the school up to liability if a kid is hurt, plays and gets further injured.

Cutting players - - hey, you're free to do it.

Implying that injured players are faking it and they have to practice in order to avoid being cut - - dangerous and outdated.

Which of the two sovereigns is imbued with the Moral law? Which of the two generals has most ability? With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth? On which side is discipline most rigorously enforced? Which army is stronger? On which side are officers and men more highly trained? In which army is there the greater constancy both in reward and punishment?

By means of these seven considerations I can forecast victory or defeat. - Sun Tzu

Which of the two sovereigns is imbued with the Moral law? Which of the two generals has most ability? With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth? On which side is discipline most rigorously enforced? Which army is stronger? On which side are officers and men more highly trained? In which army is there the greater constancy both in reward and punishment?

By means of these seven considerations I can forecast victory or defeat. - Sun Tzu
I did know they played football in China...[emoji41]

Top Bottom