Danny Hurley is hiring Minnesota's Kimani Young as an assistant at UConn

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Evan Daniels:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Per Evan Daniels:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's interesting. And probably not good for the east coast connections, as well as IW. I wouldn't be sad if we focus on more MN kids however. So much talent here.

Richard will hire Rick to fill the position. Look out.....final four here we come!

Best of luck to Kimani. He was a huge reason why IW and Mcbrayer came here. Harris, too I assume. That being said, we didn't need him at all for the 2018 class and if we continue to hit MN hard for recruits, it won't be that big of a deal.

Go make Coach Mo some type of promotion to steal him away and teach us how to play defense. Please.

I really hope this doesn’t quash our east coast recruiting connections. I’m not sure Minnesota is going to have a long running steady supply of high major talent. Certainly wasn’t the case in the Tubby years.

I'd be curious to know if this was Kimani looking for more job security or Richard looking for more production out of his top recruiter. From the outside looking in, Kimani certainly appeared to have a rough year recruiting class of 2018 kids. We just needed one guy from the East Coast or out of state in general to turn a solid class in a to really good one and we didn't get that guy. I've also wondered if Pitino would look to get Dan McHale back on the staff since his dismissal at Eastern Kentucky. I had assumed Ed Conroy was the likely coach to move on if a change was made as to my knowledge he hasn't been the lead guy on a single commitment or even top target since he was hired.

Given Pitino's current status it also wouldn't surprise me if he added a coach specifically because he could deliver an impact recruit, though I am not sure there is a Michael Porter out there right now.

Maybe Young wants back to the east coast or maybe he is getting out early? Either way if this guy was the lead recruiter this does not look good for Pitino going into next year.

John Marshall asst. coach, Rich Hurt?

Dave Thorson?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I second this! Plus he'd stay if Richard left and Ben Johnson was ready. Otherwise McHale would be awesome. Doubt we could get coach Mo. Someone who can run our D again please!

I don't think this is good news, but most of you know more than I do.

Bad, I am not sure DJ is ready for this level yet. I'm up for a guy who can coach defense, though, and recruit.

I'll predict McHale returns.

I second this! Plus he'd stay if Richard left and Ben Johnson was ready. Otherwise McHale would be awesome. Doubt we could get coach Mo. Someone who can run our D again please!

I don’t know the stats, but I would think it’s pretty rare to fire the head coach and promote an assistant from within. LSU football did it, firing Les Miles 4 games into the 2016 season and then giving Ed Orgeron the permanent head coaching job at the end the end of his interim year, but I’m not sure it was a popular decision.

I don’t know the stats, but I would think it’s pretty rare to fire the head coach and promote an assistant from within. LSU football did it, firing Les Miles 4 games into the 2016 season and then giving Ed Orgeron the permanent head coaching job at the end the end of his interim year, but I’m not sure it was a popular decision.

I wasn't saying Pitino would be fired. I said if he left.

As a De grad I love Thorson. As a U fan I love DJ. That said 90% of this gig is recruiting talent so having a high level recruiter is probably better than even getting a great X's and O's guy unless he's a high level talent developer too

As a De grad I love Thorson. As a U fan I love DJ. That said 90% of this gig is recruiting talent so having a high level recruiter is probably better than even getting a great X's and O's guy unless he's a high level talent developer too

Agreed, at least 90% of Kimani's job (some assistants focus on x's and o's). Definitely need a top recruiter to fill this spot. We have Ben Johnson for the local connection, we don't need Thorson or DJ IMO.

Based upon the fact that Tino was bemoaning the terrible preparation for opponents this season I tend to think Tino is really going to hone in on an X and O person. Rewatch the Maryland game and see how unprepared we were for the pick & roll with a lob to the rim. See how porous our defense was in most games. Watch our globetrotter weave. We are desperately in need of an X and O person.
We will be fine without Kimani Young, though I wish him well. By all accounts he seemed like a guy you'd want to root for.

Rent Richard Hurt for a year.

"Coach" both of your sons for a season, then after Matthew goes pro, live the life of a NBA father, going all over the country to watch your son play pro ball.

Based upon the fact that Tino was bemoaning the terrible preparation for opponents this season I tend to think Tino is really going to hone in on an X and O person. Rewatch the Maryland game and see how unprepared we were for the pick & roll with a lob to the rim. See how porous our defense was in most games. Watch our globetrotter weave. We are desperately in need of an X and O person.

I assumed that was Conroy's role when he joined the staff to replace McHale. He isn't bringing in talent, so, as a former head coach, what function does he serve exactly?

We will be fine without Kimani Young, though I wish him well. By all accounts he seemed like a guy you'd want to root for.

This 100%! Our offense sucked. Weave for 28 seconds and then throw up a desperation three. Things have got to change offensivley for us next year.

I agree with this post 100% and also figure out how to defend the pick and roll

DJ seems like a promising coach, but straight to a Big Ten job after one year coaching high school basketball? Are you kidding?

Why is nobody asking that of the people who wanted to hire Trent Tucker as head coach with practically no experience?

Johnson is ready to be a college assistant, at least when it comes to his capabilities. As far as his lifestyle goes, he has a new baby girl to take care of, so...

I know nothing about Louisville and who the coaches are......but wouldnt surprise me to see Pitino pick up a former Louisville assistant. Or is it too soon?

Rent Richard Hurt for a year.

"Coach" both of your sons for a season, then after Matthew goes pro, live the life of a NBA father, going all over the country to watch your son play pro ball.

This, though it would probably be for two years, this year and Mathews freshman year.

Reggie

This 100%! Our offense sucked. Weave for 28 seconds and then throw up a desperation three. Things have got to change offensivley for us next year.

When Reggie was lost for the year - the offense tanked. Hopefully Curry/Murph/Oturu/Stockman can help change things for next year as you say.

If Rick Pitino can recruit and/or win us NCAA tournament games while staying clean, bring him in for a year before he jumps back in as a head coach somewhere.

Top Bottom