Shama: Discounted season tix avail for U alums who have graduated within last 5 yrs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The Gophers are offering discounted season tickets for football and men’s basketball and hockey to U alums who have graduated within the last five years. Pricing per ticket is $199 for football, $249 for basketball and $399 for hockey.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

If it has legs, do it.

Pretty sure they've done this before, still a good idea. Get local alums involved.

If they could just extend it about 20 years further back....I'd be in!

$399 is the DISCOUNTED hockey season ticket price? No wonder Mariucci is never full anymore. I think hockey season tickets are less than half that. I wonder how many people they get with these discounted prices.

Do this for everybody. $199 season tickets.

How much partially tax deductible (maybe?) mandated "contribution" is involved? Now we will find out if recent grads snap up this great opportunity of a lifetime? It is all part of the administration's brilliant marketing strategy. They always have the season ticket holders best interests in mind with every move they make. It is time for the recent grads to start showing up though.

$399 is the DISCOUNTED hockey season ticket price? No wonder Mariucci is never full anymore. I think hockey season tickets are less than half that. I wonder how many people they get with these discounted prices.
That's about $20 per game. That's not that bad. Not an unbelievable deal but ok.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

When I went to the U in the late '80s the joke would've been to offer a discount to anyone who graduated within 5 years. Those people were rare birds indeed.

FYI - regular season ticket price for mens hockey is in the $600-1000 range. So $399 is definitely a discount.

How much partially tax deductible (maybe?) mandated "contribution" is involved? Now we will find out if recent grads snap up this great opportunity of a lifetime? It is all part of the administration's brilliant marketing strategy. They always have the season ticket holders best interests in mind with every move they make. It is time for the recent grads to start showing up though.

I thought with the new Trump tax plan that for most people, these types of deductions won't really help (since they raised the standard deduction and most people won't go over that). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For 20 games, that is like $20 per game. How much more discount are you looking for?

I thought with the new Trump tax plan that for most people, these types of deductions won't really help (since they raised the standard deduction and most people won't go over that). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Up through April 17 of this year, that is not the case. Going into 2018 taxes and beyond that may be the case. The damage by the U was done when the administration instigated the mandated donation policy when the stadium was not sold out and while the football program was struggling and they started playing revolving head coaches and the old, long time season ticket holders started feeling picked on, offended by some of the moves of the administration and some of the folly and dysfunction of the "Norwood" era in the athletic department and beyond at the U.

So, now: it is time for recent grads of the U to stand up and buy discounted season tickets. We will see how well the younger generation will step up to the plate and become long-time season ticket holders that the U of M has done their best to penalize, discourage and send packing. Out with the old. In with the new. Time will tell if the younger market will pay out as faithfully going into the future as the foolish old long-time season ticket holders who are/were constantly being encouraged "just go away..." did for decades.

Come on recent U grads: you are at the plate. The bases are full. Now is your chance for greatness. Buy your discounted season tickets...make your mandated contributions...THIS is your chance for glory...greatness....and unending loyalty. 2018 is YOUR time recent U grads. Row your boat and buy your tickets. The U athletic department really loves you and needs you to replace the old people who have died, no longer buy season tickets and have always been the problem. The U athletic dept. has "seen the light..." Stand up and be counted. Buy your discounted season tickets NOW! This is such GREAT news! A new era. A new generation of potential future OLD long time season ticket buyers MAYBE has arrived. Good luck...God Bless...BEAT the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Up through April 17 of this year, that is not the case. Going into 2018 taxes and beyond that may be the case. The damage by the U was done when the administration instigated the mandated donation policy when the stadium was not sold out and while the football program was struggling and they started playing revolving head coaches and the old, long time season ticket holders started feeling picked on, offended by some of the moves of the administration and some of the folly and dysfunction of the "Norwood" era in the athletic department and beyond at the U.

So, now: it is time for recent grads of the U to stand up and buy discounted season tickets. We will see how well the younger generation will step up to the plate and become long-time season ticket holders that the U of M has done their best to penalize, discourage and send packing. Out with the old. In with the new. Time will tell if the younger market will pay out as faithfully going into the future as the foolish old long-time season ticket holders who are/were constantly being encouraged "just go away..." did for decades.

Come on recent U grads: you are at the plate. The bases are full. Now is your chance for greatness. Buy your discounted season tickets...make your mandated contributions...THIS is your chance for glory...greatness....and unending loyalty. 2018 is YOUR time recent U grads. Row your boat and buy your tickets. The U athletic department really loves you and needs you to replace the old people who have died, no longer buy season tickets and have always been the problem. The U athletic dept. has "seen the light..." Stand up and be counted. Buy your discounted season tickets NOW! This is such GREAT news! A new era. A new generation of potential future OLD long time season ticket buyers MAYBE has arrived. Good luck...God Bless...BEAT the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Why would young people want to go to these games any more than old people? Our home schedule this year is atrocious, we have a first year starter at QB, and I'm pretty sure our projected win total is 6 games.

No discounts for the half-deads? I guess old horses don't get sweet oats.

Why would young people want to go to these games any more than old people? Our home schedule this year is atrocious, we have a first year starter at QB, and I'm pretty sure our projected win total is 6 games.

Long-time season ticket holders got tired of the mandated contributions when the stadium is not sold out...and perhaps they are getting tired of watching all kinds of discounted ticket packages being offered to people who are not long-time season ticket holders. There are many reasons...these are only two. Being a long-time and loyal season ticket holder gets you no respect from the athletic department, the coach or the college prexy. That's probably part of the bottom line.

I sincerely hope a TON of recent U of M grads take advantage of discounted in price season tickets. Pick seats that do not have mandated scholarship contributions needed to purchase season tickets. Wait until the stadium is consistently sold out and then the U will mandate scholarship contributions on ALL tickets and get by with it. Prove that you are better fans than the old blue hairs who have been wrecking game day environment for the past forty or fifty years. The only way to prove it is to take advantage of discounted season ticket offers and show up...put your money where your mouth is and be the worlds greatest fans. Put a little skin in the game. The blue hairs are going nose down...physically unable to attend...tired of being treated with no respect and being taken for granted. Some of them are boycotting the administration of the U of M and have had enough. Out with the old...DISCOUNTS for the new. There is so much to say: but it is now getting to be the day of the recent U of M graduates to pick up the discount and run with the ball. SHOW me the discounted season ticket sales numbers for the 2018 season. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

You are not wrong.

Long-time season ticket holders got tired of the mandated contributions when the stadium is not sold out...and perhaps they are getting tired of watching all kinds of discounted ticket packages being offered to people who are not long-time season ticket holders. There are many reasons...these are only two. Being a long-time and loyal season ticket holder gets you no respect from the athletic department, the coach or the college prexy. That's probably part of the bottom line.

I sincerely hope a TON of recent U of M grads take advantage of discounted in price season tickets. Pick seats that do not have mandated scholarship contributions needed to purchase season tickets. Wait until the stadium is consistently sold out and then the U will mandate scholarship contributions on ALL tickets and get by with it. Prove that you are better fans than the old blue hairs who have been wrecking game day environment for the past forty or fifty years. The only way to prove it is to take advantage of discounted season ticket offers and show up...put your money where your mouth is and be the worlds greatest fans. Put a little skin in the game. The blue hairs are going nose down...physically unable to attend...tired of being treated with no respect and being taken for granted. Some of them are boycotting the administration of the U of M and have had enough. Out with the old...DISCOUNTS for the new. There is so much to say: but it is now getting to be the day of the recent U of M graduates to pick up the discount and run with the ball. SHOW me the discounted season ticket sales numbers for the 2018 season. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Why can't you be happy just going to to games and supporting your school or favorite team? Why are you and others so concerned about the price, and comparing what you pay to what others pay?

This price is what the price is. You can either choose to pay it or don't. Why do you need an extra level of respect from the administration for paying the price you choose to pay?

Why can't you be happy just going to to games and supporting your school or favorite team? Why are you and others so concerned about the price, and comparing what you pay to what others pay?

This price is what the price is. You can either choose to pay it or don't. Why do you need an extra level of respect from the administration for paying the price you choose to pay?

Would you like it if you went through the grocery line and paid $5.99 for your Digiorno's Pizza, only to find out that all the people around you paid $3.99 for the same thing? At some point, you'll stop and ask yourself how those other people got it for cheaper, and then do the same yourself.

Or would you just say "whatever" and keep paying more for your pizza?

I think it is a valid concern that something like season tickets are so far above market value.

Would you like it if you went through the grocery line and paid $5.99 for your Digiorno's Pizza, only to find out that all the people around you paid $3.99 for the same thing? At some point, you'll stop and ask yourself how those other people got it for cheaper, and then do the same yourself.

Or would you just say "whatever" and keep paying more for your pizza?

Again, if I had a problem with it, I'd shop somewhere else. Or sit somewhere else. Not all seats are donation seats. It's not difficult to get cheap tickets to games.

If you want to look at it a different way, how much more money did students who graduated in the last 5 years pay for school compared to those who went to school 20-30 years ago? Maybe they deserve a little break.

I would use this as your cover letter when you apply for the U's marketing department. You are a shoe in.

If you want to look at it a different way, how much more money did students who graduated in the last 5 years pay for school compared to those who went to school 20-30 years ago? Maybe they deserve a little break.

I graduated 30 years ago. I hope I pay less than someone who graduated 50 years ago due to my higher tuition bill.

If you are a Golden Oldy and want the discount, just go back for another degree! And get the student rate in the meantime. This stuff is so simple.

If you are a Golden Oldy and want the discount, just go back for another degree! And get the student rate in the meantime. This stuff is so simple.

I think you have to sit ... er STAND in the student section.

That is less fun for the oldies.

Guys - GWG paid a fortune for his ST. He wants to feel OK about it. Let him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, if I had a problem with it, I'd shop somewhere else. Or sit somewhere else. Not all seats are donation seats. It's not difficult to get cheap tickets to games.

I wasn't referring to the programs for recent grads. I see that as a "bridge" from student season tickets to normal season tickets. I'm ok with that, as you say as a bit of a reward.

I think what a lot of people are talking about, including myself, is when you have season tickets and find out that half the people around bought their seats on Stub Hub for half of what you paid. I dropped my tickets a few years ago partially for that reason (partially because with kids in activities we were missing more games than making). I also found when we couldn't make it to a game that almost always I was taking a big hit on the price I sold them for - meaning the tickets are overpriced for the market.

I have a partial season ticket for the Twins and the same would hold true there. If it got to the point that tickets were consistently cheaper on Stub Hub I would drop my season tickets. Amazingly with as bad as they were for a few years, that never happened (it happens some nights, but other nights they sell for more). The Twins also haven't raised prices since we got our tickets - in fact our tickets dropped in price this year - a year after the Twins made it to the play-in game.

Top Bottom