Gopher Grid Iron Radio 3.31.18

hungan1

Reaction score
Gopher Gridiron Radio 3.31.18
Luke and Ryan return to discuss the new uniforms, additions to the coaching staff and spring ball.
Ryan Burns - Mar 31, 11:10 AM

https://247sports.com/college/minne...-17U-squad-that-ranks-with-the-best-116939255

I made some notes while listening. You are at the mercy of my ability to listen and transcribe notes.

Early Recruiting Discussions:
2:47 - May is active month for commitments usually 15 commits in this time frame.
3:06 - Max Duggan was in town - Trending positive MN. May happen in 7 days. Not a done deal (TCU making a push). High on Cole Kramer from EP. (A Max Duggan commitment will have a significant impact to recruiting).
5:10 - 30 visitors in camp for Junior Day.

I purposely skipped through the unis and coaching discussions and Spring Ball to the end part...

Discussions on QBs and Gopher Offense:
58:15 Don't matter who wins starting QB position. Coaches want 50/50 pass/run offense. For MN to pass more need to have play makers on the outside, WRs or TEs other than Tyler Johnson.

58:25 MN ran 68% in 2017. Looking for players to step up - Autman-Bell, Douglas, Howard, Spann-Ford, Bateman.

59:28 Need more consistent play from QB. Both Tanner Morgan and Victor Viramontes have skillsets that is intuned with Ciarrocacca's Offense.

With VV and TM - Offense changes depending on who's in. VV's legs is literally Chris Strevelesques.

If you think Chris Streveler isn't a good football player, you should definitely watch South Dakota's tape where he was a Heisman Finalist for FCS. Multiple Missouri Valley DCs had to specifically game plan against him.

At Chris' Pro Day, he ran a 4.36 40! Another time a 4.44 40. (How the Gophers never seriously using him as a starter...)

1:00:05 (Didn't bother with time stamp after this) Viramontes is not as fast as Streveler. When he is in trouble when his first and second options are not there, he'll try to run you over. He'll try to use his legs. That was how he found success in JC and HS.

Tanner on the other hand, if he is rolling to the outside will scan the entire field and try to find the open man. (I saw him make an accurate throw to True Thompson rolling to his right in practice)

Ryan thinks VV and TM are the same height ~ 6' 0"- 6' 1", and Zak Annexstad is 6' 3".

Tanner is more impressive this Spring. PJ Fleck continually talks about him in interviews and pressers.

He makes accurate throws, is decisive, and can run when he has to. But, he can't take as many hits as VV.

For those who love tight spirals which is the rage here, VV does not throw spirals consistently. Some of his balls are wobbly, but are on target. Who cares according to Ryan as long as he has play makers that can catch.

Per Ryan - A two QB race between VV & TM.

Doesn't think Seth Green is QB material. He is working with the Special Teams. But, he is the emergency third stringer. They want to preserve Zak Annexstad's Red Shirt (Sounds like they are excited about him). ZA turned down two P5 offers to walk on with the Gophers.

He mentioned that Oregon initially recruited Seth Green at QB, but they saw the same thing in him that the Gopher coaching staff are seeing in him now. They changed their offer to him to TE. That's when he decided to commit to the Gophers.

Ryan thinks that if he wants to contribute to the team, the quickest way is to play TE which with his athleticism and height he is most suited for.

Impressions On Offense:
Need More Play Makers.

Between Autman-Bell, Douglas, Bateman, etc... Three new guys at WR need to step up. At TE, need to have Brevin Spann-Ford, Jake Paulsen, Ko Kieft - any one of those to step up. Lots of inexperience at catching the ball.

Need to replace 40% of production at the RB position. Need for inexperienced RBs to step up - Bryce Williams, Nolan Edmonds to step up (Didn't mention Ibrahim).

Defense:
Lots of inexperience at Defensive Tackle.

Esezi Otomewo never taken snaps (No mentione of CJ Smith, Moore, Silver, and others).

Line Backers he thinks the Gophers are okay at.

Defensive Backs - Transfer Chris Williamson hasn't played in two years. Need rest of Secondary to stay healthy.

On Where Gophers Will Finish:
Doesn't think the Gophers will be a 5-7 team. They have enough talent to go to a bowl game.

2018 will be a tough road due to inexperience. September will be tough. MN will win games, but not as much as people want (many close games?).

Kids will take lumps due to inexperience (PJ Fleck continually mentions that you have to fail to succeed).

Ryan - Guys will be thinking and have jitters. Want to have players at the level where they just read and react and become confident.

Thinks the Gophers are a bowl eligible team, but not in a position yet to challenge Wisconsin. It will become real interesting as the Gophers continue to get play makers.

On 2018 Recruiting:
Recruiting is on an uptick. MN just signed the best recruiting class of the era.

Had the top recruited QB in the Midwest on campus this last weekend. Lots to be excited about.

Per Ryan: If Max Duggan gets on the boat - Watch Out! There could be a developing domino effect.

Recruiting is going to be very interesting in the month of April and May.

April - MN has some big visitors coming in the next few weekends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone please make additional summary notes and pass it along?

Never understood the hate for Streveler. Kid clearly has elite wheels and per excellent stats at FCS level is capable of at least adequate forward passes. May have been a casualty of playing behind team captain and leader Leidner, and he didn’t see a path to play at QB - particularly after rumbles for him to change positions. It will be interesting to see if the scouts feel he has developed the required skills to make it into a camp. Measured at 6 foot 1 though - no bueno. Nice vert.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...rback-chris-streveler-wide-receiver-nfl-draft

Never understood the hate for Streveler. Kid clearly has elite wheels and per excellent stats at FCS level is capable of at least adequate forward passes. May have been a casualty of playing behind team captain and leader Leidner, and he didn’t see a path to play at QB - particularly after rumbles for him to change positions. It will be interesting to see if the scouts feel he has developed the required skills to make it into a camp. Measured at 6 foot 1 though - no bueno. Nice vert.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...rback-chris-streveler-wide-receiver-nfl-draft

I wished we could turn him into a returner with that speed but obviously he wanted to play QB, I get that.

I loved his gun slinging style.... but it seemed like if he didn't hit our guy in the numbers... he hit the defender in the numbers.

Maybe he figured that out or at FCS or he has a bit more room for error.

VV doesn't throw a tight spiral? Man I want him to win the job now - just for the spiral talk on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wished we could turn him into a returner with that speed but obviously he wanted to play QB, I get that.

I loved his gun slinging style.... but it seemed like if he didn't hit our guy in the numbers... he hit the defender in the numbers.

Maybe he figured that out or at FCS or he has a bit more room for error.

We have been over this. When he started games he was basically handing the ball off and not even passing. Did not have very many pass attempts with the Gophers. What he did at South Dakota was impressive at any level.

Strevler ran a 4.4 40 time at USD pro day. Impressive athlete. I think he will be signed as an UFA but I still doubt he makes a 53 man roster. His stock is rising though.

We have been over this. When he started games he was basically handing the ball off and not even passing. Did not have very many pass attempts with the Gophers. What he did at South Dakota was impressive at any level.

Strevler ran a 4.4 40 time at USD pro day. Impressive athlete. I think he will be signed as an UFA but I still doubt he makes a 53 man roster. His stock is rising though.

You're right, he only threw the ball 11 times as a Gopher.

It was a dumb move to move him from QB to any other position. At worst, he was better than Rhoda and would have played in those games. At best, he would have pushed Leidner for PT.

Great report!!! Very much appreciated!

Top Bottom