Sid Hartman: Seth Green ready to lead

sounds like PJ is planting the seed of Seth playing another position.

He just said on KFAN that "Green will definitely play special teams." Also looking to move him to TE/WR to get him the ball. Had him do blocking drills last practice. Without saying it 100%, it looks like we are down to a three horse race at QB.

He just said on KFAN that "Green will definitely play special teams." Also looking to move him to TE/WR to get him the ball. Had him do blocking drills last practice. Without saying it 100%, it looks like we are down to a three horse race at QB.

That works for me. Seth is a pretty impressive athlete. I'm glad they are getting him on the field.

On the Walrus' point: hopefully VV can give the offense a running threat at QB. I agree it's nice to have that option on short-yardage and goal-line plays - as long as you don't become predictable.

If you have a situation where every time QB "A" comes in the game, he runs with the ball, then the defense can scheme to take that away. Ideally, you want a QB who can run or throw with relatively equal ability.

But, as another option, I wouldn't mind seeing Green have a small package of plays where he comes in and gives the offense more of a triple-option look - with the proviso that, for that to work, you need a running/blocking threat at FB - and I don't see that kind of player on the roster right now, unless they use one of the TE's as an H-Back.

On the Walrus' point: hopefully VV can give the offense a running threat at QB. I agree it's nice to have that option on short-yardage and goal-line plays - as long as you don't become predictable.

If you have a situation where every time QB "A" comes in the game, he runs with the ball, then the defense can scheme to take that away. Ideally, you want a QB who can run or throw with relatively equal ability.

But, as another option, I wouldn't mind seeing Green have a small package of plays where he comes in and gives the offense more of a triple-option look - with the proviso that, for that to work, you need a running/blocking threat at FB - and I don't see that kind of player on the roster right now, unless they use one of the TE's as an H-Back.

I'm inclined to agree that the whole "hey here is another guy who can do a thing" is not that much of big deal if you know that 99% of the time the dude is gonna do that one thing he is good at and not ... anything else.

Quarterbacks are not always what they may appear to be...and message board fans pick their favorites: early and often. The tools are not in place...offensive line...wide outs...great routes...great hands...big play ability... in large numbers. Injuries take key players out. Some players aren't ready to go. It is not a "given" that the passing game will be much...if any stronger in 2018 than it was in 2017. Especially if injuries come into play.

I am talking about if need be, putting Seth Green in and leaving him in. Because, all too often, all the fan favorites just don't turn out the way fans really believe they will turn out: especially at the Q-Back position.

Last year, an H-Back/Q-Back just might have made some difference in the running game. And, a better running game might very well have gotten the GOPHER TEAM to a bowl game at the end of the 2017 season. It would have been better than the way it turned out. Based upon the way the offense looked at the end of the season....I have got to believe that it would have been worth a "look/see" for the final couple of games last year. But, the Coach was pretty far into his cultural bias last season. It may have cost him a game or two. That was too bad, but it's water over the damn.

Quarterbacks are not always what they may appear to be...and message board fans pick their favorites: early and often. The tools are not in place...offensive line...wide outs...great routes...great hands...big play ability... in large numbers. Injuries take key players out. Some players aren't ready to go. It is not a "given" that the passing game will be much...if any stronger in 2018 than it was in 2017. Especially if injuries come into play.

I am talking about if need be, putting Seth Green in and leaving him in. Because, all too often, all the fan favorites just don't turn out the way fans really believe they will turn out: especially at the Q-Back position.

Last year, an H-Back/Q-Back just might have made some difference in the running game. And, a better running game might very well have gotten the GOPHER TEAM to a bowl game at the end of the 2017 season. It would have been better than the way it turned out. Based upon the way the offense look at the end of the season....I have got to believe that it would have been worth a "look/see" for the final couple of games last year. But, the Coach was pretty far into his cultural bias last season. It may have cost him a game or two. That was too bad, but it's water over the damn.

I agree with everything you're saying, except the cultural bias does not explain how Demry got so many looks. I am a little surprised that Seth Green did not see any time last year, but I guess that tells me enough of what PJ thinks of Seth Green as a QB.

Last year, an H-Back/Q-Back just might have made some difference in the running game. And, a better running game might very well have gotten the GOPHER TEAM to a bowl game at the end of the 2017 season. It would have been better than the way it turned out. Based upon the way the offense look at the end of the season....I have got to believe that it would have been worth a "look/see" for the final couple of games last year. But, the Coach was pretty far into his cultural bias last season. It may have cost him a game or two. That was too bad, but it's water over the damn.

You're saying Croft wasn't an H-back/Q-back? He had 79 rushing attempts in 9 games with a 3.9 yd average. And Rhoda played in 3 of those 9 games (granted, Rhoda had very few rushes as we all know).

For comparison, Mitch Leidner had 112 attempts in 12 games with a 3.3 yd average in 2016. His rushing effectiveness is very much exaggerated and seems better than it was more based on timeliness of key runs rather than being an overall running threat.

It's funny how you are calling out fans picking their favorites early and often when that's exactly what you've done. We have no idea if Green can even be a better runner at QB than Morgan, VV or Annexstad, let alone better overall.

Not that you were saying this (but others have or implied it), I don't believe for a second that Fleck would move him just because he wasn't a Fleck recruit. Fleck saw something from the other three he didn't see in Green. Being Fleck's the one that will lose his job if he doesn't start winning, I trust he's doing it because he feels it gives the GOPHER TEAM the best chance to get BIG TEN WINS.

I include myself in the fan base...and just as many fans do: I pick my favorites early and often too. How 'bout that Lakeville? I always laugh at myself while I am commenting about a situation.

Leidner didn't play against a Nebby team that had quit on their coach to pick up many of his yards. In fact, I was in Lincoln and witnessed the Great RUSHING GAME Leidner against the husker a few years ago in a come-back win for the GOPHER. MOST of Croft's yards for the season came on broken plays where the Nebby Defense did not show up. There was no one wearing a nebby jersy on one run for about 50 yards or more to the house for Croft in that game...

I believe that Fleck is his own biggest booster and he will, indeed give all kinds of benefit of the doubt to his recruits even though he called the first year year zero and in some ways talks about the 2018 season as though it is an extension of year zero. Fortunately it is set up as a GOOD season to pick up Big Ten Wins with games against Indiana, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue sans games vs. PSU, Michigan, and MSU. IF Fleck sees something different in 3 of them: time will tell, I guess. To me they are rookies...the same as Green who have time left in Fleck's system. Big Ten wins will help any of them...Big Ten losses will hurt all of them: Green included....AND Fleck included, too. I'm an equal opportunity fan. I will believe what the record shows me. The facts...just the facts. The record will tell the story for the players...the coaches AND the fans, don't you agree?

I include myself in the fan base...and just as many fans do: I pick my favorites early and often too. How 'bout that Lakeville? I always laugh at myself while I am commenting about a situation.

Leidner didn't play against a Nebby team that had quit on their coach to pick up many of his yards. In fact, I was in Lincoln and witnessed the Great RUSHING GAME Leidner against the husker a few years ago in a come-back win for the GOPHER. MOST of Croft's yards for the season came on broken plays where the Nebby Defense did not show up. There was no one wearing a nebby jersy on one run for about 50 yards or more to the house for Croft in that game...

I believe that Fleck is his own biggest booster and he will, indeed give all kinds of benefit of the doubt to his recruits even though he called the first year year zero and in some ways talks about the 2018 season as though it is an extension of year zero. Fortunately it is set up as a GOOD season to pick up Big Ten Wins with games against Indiana, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue sans games vs. PSU, Michigan, and MSU. IF Fleck sees something different in 3 of them: time will tell, I guess. To me they are rookies...the same as Green who have time left in Fleck's system. Big Ten wins will help any of them...Big Ten losses will hurt all of them: Green included....AND Fleck included, too. I'm an equal opportunity fan. I will believe what the record shows me. The facts...just the facts. The record will tell the story for the players...the coaches AND the fans, don't you agree?

I was at that game as well. That was beyond awesome! That was bar none Mitch's best overall game in my book, and one of my favorite road games (that and 2003 Penn State).

The discussion on Green is pretty academic at this point. He will not see the field as a QB unless disaster happens. Hope TE/WR works out for him (and the Gophers).

Wide receiver reverse pass? You heard it here first! Trick play city...:clap:

Top Bottom