Sid Hartman: Seth Green ready to lead

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers quarterback Seth Green recently earned a great title when he was named the vice chairman of the National Panhellenic Council at the University of Minnesota.

Green, a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity, has been working more and more on his leadership, and head coach P.J. Fleck said that included attending a recent leadership conference.

“He just got back from a leadership conference where him and Winston [DeLattiboudere] went out to a big leadership conference and took a lot away from that. He has really done a great job with that,” Fleck said.

It will be interesting to see if Green doesn’t win the starting quarterback job, and right now Fleck says the competition is wide open, whether he will be moved to another position.

“He is such a good athlete that I have talked with him that if he doesn’t win the position about possibly playing somewhere else, playing another position, whether that’s wide receiver or tight end or linebacker or rush end,” Fleck said. “He’s a very good athlete and he has been very mature about the whole process.”

Green played his senior year of high school in Allen, Texas, after attending East Ridge and committed to Oregon before joining the Gophers.

http://www.startribune.com/return-of-marcus-sherels-is-another-good-move-for-the-vikings/478464963/

Go Gophers!!

Nice props for Seth Green! It is a long season and I am hoping for Seth Green to get a good, honest look at the QB position. I also appreciate he is a great athlete who may have options on any number of positions. I think he is a FOOTBALL player who has been blessed with athletic ability to play FOOTBALL, and I suspect his talent will become very visible this fall. This GOPHER team is fortunate to have Seth Green and his talents, skills, and athletic abilities will be needed. May he help lead this football team in 2018! Introduce yourself to the BIG TEN this year Seth! I am sure you will have quite an impact in more ways than one. Seth Green is my PLAYER to watch for the GOPHER FOOTBALL TEAM in 2018. TAKE it to them. Mr. Green!

Nice props for Seth Green! It is a long season and I am hoping for Seth Green to get a good, honest look at the QB position. I also appreciate he is a great athlete who may have options on any number of positions. I think he is a FOOTBALL player who has been blessed with athletic ability to play FOOTBALL, and I suspect his talent will become very visible this fall. This GOPHER team is fortunate to have Seth Green and his talents, skills, and athletic abilities will be needed. May he help lead this football team in 2018! Introduce yourself to the BIG TEN this year Seth! I am sure you will have quite an impact in more ways than one. Seth Green is my PLAYER to watch for the GOPHER FOOTBALL TEAM in 2018. TAKE it to them. Mr. Green!
Seth says: "Thanks Mom!" [emoji56]

Coming from a PJ backer, it would be interesting to see Green become the QB knowing that he was the QB that Claeys was going to use last year. All that ... “how could TC cast off Rhoda and expect Green to play” discussion could resurface under some new light.

Coming from a PJ backer, it would be interesting to see Green become the QB knowing that he was the QB that Claeys was going to use last year. All that ... “how could TC cast off Rhoda and expect Green to play” discussion could resurface under some new light.

TC never made the final call, hard to know what might have been... but if Green couldn't beat out Rhoda and Demery decisively last year.... I'm not sure TC would have had much success either.

Even if Green turns into Steve Montana this year, I doubt he was showing much sign of it last year if he wasn't even in the mix to start.

TC never made the final call, hard to know what might have been... but if Green couldn't beat out Rhoda and Demery decisively last year.... I'm not sure TC would have had much success either.

Even if Green turns into Steve Montana this year, <b>I doubt he was showing much sign of it last year if he wasn't even in the mix to start.</b>

If SG wasn't 'buying in' last year - as I believe PJ eluded to - then his performance at practice last year may not have been the deciding factor.

With that said, SG has been practicing with special teams and PJ has talked openly about other positions. That doesn't sound to me like a guy still being considered for the starting QB job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if Green turns into Steve Montana this year, I doubt he was showing much sign of it last year if he wasn't even in the mix to start.

That would be amazing.

steve_montana.jpg

Quarterbacks don't get the "kidd glove" and "no real contact break once Big Ten Football starts. They start taking real hits and the defense is instructed to put the pads on the quarterbacks in later September, October and November. Once the hits start being for real, quarterbacks take those real hits that they never took in the Spring game...or...practices... Sometimes Big Ten GAME DAY quarterbacks don't throw such a pretty pass or "hang in there in the pocket" or do their entire progression of reads once conference games start. Some quarterbacks can play dinged up...hurt...and some can't. Sometimes big and strong and TOUGH are really great considerations to have when going with a qb. BIG...STRONG...ATHLETIC and TOUGH is more apt to show up game after game once the grind of the Big Ten Schedule starts taking it's toll on the pretty passing, pocket-protected, big armed quarterbacks who don't have the game breaking, perfect route running, take it to the house threat on any play types of receivers and an offensive line that NEVER breaks down type of quarterbacks.

I want to see my main man SETH GREEN get his shot...any where on the field...but have him taking reps in practice in case some pretty spiral passing, new kid in town goes down or panics when the going gets tough in Big Ten play. Some players can take the hits and hit back...some maybe not so much. Time will tell. Even coaches have a LOT to learn when they take a team over for that nasty first season _"coaching change blues" that everyone says is bound to happen. So much for 2017...

That would be amazing.

With all the Fortune 500 contacts he could become a dental floss tycoon...
https://youtu.be/DO_bKdRqkuQ

If SG wasn't 'buying in' last year - as I believe PJ eluded to - then his performance at practice last year may not have been the deciding factor.

With that said, SG has been practicing with special teams and PJ has talked openly about other positions. That doesn't sound to me like a guy still being considered for the starting QB job.

PJ said he didn't think his QB back at WMU was into the culture at one point, but he played him and was happy with what he did.

Hard to imagine PJ, or any coach, sitting on Peyton Brady who looks so much better and still playing Rhoda and Croft.... People can be dumb, I'm just not going to belive that with PJ at this point.

I agree about the last part, you don't talk about moving a QB if he is seriously in the mix.... i'm sure he'll get a "shot" if PJ says so, but obviously even at this point they don't think it is going to happen if they're working on other plans.

PJ said he didn't think his QB back at WMU was into the culture at one point, but he played him and was happy with what he did.

Hard to imagine PJ, or any coach, sitting on Peyton Brady who looks so much better and still playing Rhoda and Croft.... People can be dumb, I'm just not going to belive that with PJ at this point.

I agree about the last part, you don't talk about moving a QB if he is seriously in the mix.... i'm sure he'll get a "shot" if PJ says so, but obviously even at this point they don't think it is going to happen if they're working on other plans.

Yeah, it really doesn't seem like PJ thinks Seth is a fit at QB.

It's hard to imagine that PJ thought Demry bought into the culture last year - - he played.
There couldn't have been a more open QB position in the country and Seth Green's name never was seriously brought up to play last year.
Seth is playing special teams this year.

I think Seth ends up at another position. He really is a good athlete.

Personally, I would rather he be more like Joe Montana

Maybe the change to white shoes has given SG that little something extra he needed to get some PT?

Especially when it's pretty clear Croft never bought in. If Croft had been a choir boy and stuck around, then maybe someone could make that argument...

Maybe the change to white shoes has given SG that little something extra he needed to get some PT?

That and rumor has it he listens to classical music back in his campus apartment.

Seth has played QB only for the last 6 years. Would think it would be really hard for him to pick up and play a new position this coming fall, especially the Rush End position. A move to TE or WR would seem to be an easier transition.

Especially when it's pretty clear Croft never bought in. If Croft had been a choir boy and stuck around, then maybe someone could make that argument...

Didn't PJ openly admit that DC11's lack of leadership impacted his playing time? That isn't much different than saying he wasn't 'buying in'. If SG was clearly the best option last year - he would have played. No doubt. Many in the media have reported he was no where near that at practices last year - so I don't think there is much validity to that argument. However, to suggest that him not 'buying in' could have played a role in getting no shot at all seems reasonable to me.

TC also cast off Streveler who became one of the prolific players in D1-AA history last year right? Or was that Kill? Strev might be another Gopher transfer QB that gets a shot at the NFL...

im guessing the people calling for green have never been to an open practice, but the kid doesnt have the arm. One-hops a lot of passes with little to no zip. Would rather see him switch positions to use some of his athleticism elsewhere.

im guessing the people calling for green have never been to an open practice, but the kid doesnt have the arm. One-hops a lot of passes with little to no zip. Would rather see him switch positions to use some of his athleticism elsewhere.

Ryan Burns says he's been on the punt coverage team too. You don't put a QB with starting potential on the punt coverage team. Sees him has an emergency 3rd QB in order to keep Annexstad's redshirt.

That and rumor has it he listens to classical music back in his campus apartment.

Seth has played QB only for the last 6 years. Would think it would be really hard for him to pick up and play a new position this coming fall, especially the Rush End position. A move to TE or WR would seem to be an easier transition.

Agreed, he Green is someone that would be more effective with the ball in his hands. I hope they put him in the backfield at H back, split him out wide all of those things and throw him the ball. He could make a pretty good living being a tight end that catches the ball down the road. He just doesn't have the accuracy or timing to be a quarterback, he is skilled enough to get by and scramble but will never be a consistent passer due to accuracy and timing problems. Green he has some of the tools he just doesn't have the arm strength to be a QB from what I have seen.

Agreed, he Green is someone that would be more effective with the ball in his hands. I hope they put him in the backfield at H back, split him out wide all of those things and throw him the ball. He could make a pretty good living being a tight end that catches the ball down the road. He just doesn't have the accuracy or timing to be a quarterback, he is skilled enough to get by and scramble but will never be a consistent passer due to accuracy and timing problems. Green he has some of the tools he just doesn't have the arm strength to be a QB from what I have seen.

Note to the coaches and anyone else who watched GOPHER FOOTBALL last season: the team REALLY missed having an H-back at the qb position last season. Mitch won a bunch of Big Ten games during the time he played for the Gophers and they won some more ball games than they won last year. The running game really needed Mitch running...even if a lot of the fans didn't think he could pass or pass pretty enough. I believe a good dose of Mitch last year would have made a big difference for the Gopher offense. Not pretty...but...TOUGH. Put a qb who needs the ball in his hands and has the athleticism, strength and packs a punch enough to pick up the first down on 3rd and 2 or 4th and one. Some Seth Green with the ball in his hands who picks up power yards with his feet would have made last year's team a heck of a lot tougher in so many ways. I don't think the first year coach saw what had made the team kind of an over-achieving team in the 2016 season. 2017 sorely missed an H-Back at the Q-Back position. Minnesota needs a run package that has three running options on the field at all times...not just one or two. The H-Back for a Q-Back package could do some good things for the Gopher Football Program. I'm hoping Seth gets a fair chance...because he just may be able to give the GOPHER offense something that no other quarterback on the team can. I want more WINS in 2018 than there were in 2017. Seth Green just may be what was missing last season. At least part of the time. See what happens. Build for NOW. Do it today. Tomorrow may never come. Win games or it never gets better.

Top Bottom