Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Carlie made the highlight reel from last night’s preseason game with an aggressive drive to the basketball. Should have been an and1.
    https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DdDHZUQV0AAhmMB.mp4

The Lynx came out of the gate losing their first game at home against a severely undermanned Sparks team (no Parker, no Lavender, no Vadeeva... only one active post player). The effects of Whalen pulling double duty are already taking a toll.

Actually, Whalen was one of the few bright spots in the game. Most of the team were like zombies out there. Around 24 turnovers? Yikes. Reeve may have been a zombie herself if she couldn’t light a fire under the team enough to pull out a win against the current hapless Sparks. The Sparks are only going to get much better this season, which is a scary thought.

And, Shades, what does this have to do with Wagner? Are you still implying that Whalen should have stepped aside to open a roster spot for Wagner? I watched yesterday's Lynx game and I don't think Whalen's double duty had anything to do with the outcome. Whalen played well, as you said. (Now, as for Maya and some of the others, that was the problem.) You have made it abundantly clear, as have a few others, that you don't think Whalen should be pulling double duty. Enough, enough, enough already. You're beating a dead horse.

I guess I’m just using this topic as an all things Gophers in the WNBA topic. I’m not really in the camp where every article or every thought needs it’s own topic.

Yes, I’ve said Whalen should retire before, but this time I thought it was obvious I was being glib about the effects of pulling double duty when I pointed out Whalen was a bright spot in the game... but not quite bright enough. Yes, I pointed how poorly the rest of the team played.

It’s just one game in, so hard to draw any firm conclusions just yet. DRob isn’t looking as good as some people advertised at this point, but maybe further on down the road? It’s a very compacted season that’s going to wear the players down, so we’ll see how that plays in. I’m always going to share my fair opinion on what’s going on in Minnesota basketball whether you want it to be heard or not. People who don’t think Whalen should be pulling double duty have a right to be heard just as loudly and as often as those who feel she can’t do wrong. I’m actually kind of waffling the middle right now, where most people should be, tbh.

It’s interesting that when I made the eloquent and thorough post about why I felt Bueckers would not chose the Gophers, you referred to it as “strange logic”.... and when bball_crazy confirmed a lot of the points I made, you said it was a good post. Why not give me some credit instead of knocking every post I make? It’s getting kind of obvious and annoying.

Nothing personal...just not a fan of some of your opinions, especially lately, when you seem to have become a lot more glib. I appreciate your passion and you have every right to express your opinions.

https://theathletic.com/362627/2018/...reeve-vintage/

That was a piece of the Sparks’ game plan in Sunday’s WNBA season opener: Attack Whalen.

“She’s a great player,” Sims said. “She’s a veteran in the league. She’s earned her stripes, but at the end of the day, I’m younger and I do what I do best. I know she doesn’t like pressure. It makes her feel uncomfortable. I knew at halftime she was tired and it showed. OK, she got some key buckets at the end of the game, but we really wore her out. … For us to disrupt her, to make her uncomfortable tonight was really key for us.”

Whalen gathered herself midway through the fourth and put together a string of plays to keep the Lynx alive in an otherwise sloppy game. She scored 10 of her team-high 17 points in the fourth and dished out nine assists overall. Sims, charged from the buzzer-beating win, still wanted to chirp her opponent.

“Of course (we expected Whalen’s comeback),” Sims said. “She was on the bench for a little while, honestly, didn’t even know if she was still on the team at one point, so I think she rested up just for those moments, especially when they came back (head coach Cheryl Reeve) had her on the bench for a reason. And then she came back, so it’s nothing new.”

Whalen almost single-handedly pulled off the comeback, as if to send the message that age won’t be a factor with the game on the line. She and Sims earned double technicals with 8:09 left in the fourth after the two fiery point guards spent too much time trying to get past each other on the way to their respective benches — an example of the chippiness between the Lynx and Sparks the last couple seasons.

Sims is a little trash talker.

Iggy, since you subscribe to the Athletic, do you think you could reproduce the article where Reeve says something like “I don’t want to mess it up.” I think that meant she was nervous about her moves as a new GM. I’d like to see the specifics of what she was talking about.

Blog Entries

Fueling the fodder for an eventual meeting late in the season when it matters.

At least Carlie has a taste of what it is like albeit being cut. Hopefully, this is a blessing in disguise stocking her desire to make it to a WNBA roster.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Fueling the fodder for an eventual meeting late in the season when it matters.
    Trust me, every game against the Sparks matters, if you think home court advantage in the Finals is important. Losing that game was a monumental disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Sims is a little trash talker.

Iggy, since you subscribe to the Athletic, do you think you could reproduce the article where Reeve says something like “I don’t want to mess it up.” I think that meant she was nervous about her moves as a new GM. I’d like to see the specifics of what she was talking about.
    https://theathletic.com/355361/2018/...indsay-whalen/

Here are two parts of the article one with the phrase, "don't screw it up" (which may or may not be a quote). The second part refers to how as a coach she could react in a way she shouldn't as a GM.

She is about to start her ninth season with the Lynx, and with the newly minted title of general manager to go with her head-coaching duties, she has never been more powerful. Despite all her success, despite helping to turn what was a woebegone franchise into the envy of the WNBA, one thought sits in the back of her mind as the Lynx prepare to pursue their fifth title in eight seasons.

Don’t screw it up.

Longtime general manager Roger Griffith stepped away from the organization after the Lynx defeated the Sparks last fall. Reeve worked closely with Griffith to help construct the juggernaut the Lynx are today, always having appreciation for the demands placed on him as he worked the salary cap, prepared for the draft and generated opportunities for trades and free agents.

Now those demands are hers....

...“I want to be different. I want the player to always win because I have to coach them,” Reeve said. “I will probably be the one that maybe leans more towards, does $5,000 really make a difference? Unless it matters on the cap, do I really want that $5,000 or whatever it is, is it really worth what we might have to go through as coach-player? From that end, I would think that communication will be huge.”

That’s where the problems can begin. A coach gets too attached to a player and makes a financial mistake. Or, on the flip side, gets too upset with a player and prematurely jettisons her.

“If we go through a four-game losing streak, all of a sudden I want to go, ‘I want to trade this player,’” Reeve said. “Well, I wasn’t feeling that way when we weren’t losing games. One of the things I think Roger and I have done well through the years is staying the course. We’ve had opportunities to do something at a time when emotions were a little higher that we’ve always kind of steadied ourselves a little bit and said stay the course, stay the course. I hope that it’s something I’m going to be able to, as a GM, remind myself, as a coach, that when we’re in it, no, that’s not going to be something we’re going to do right now. That’s short-sighted.”

Thanks! I think that’s what I was looking for. She doesn’t say anything about this year’s moves, but I guess what she’s saying is she’s worried she’ll make hasty or bad moves since there’s no longer that balance of power they had before. It’s all Reeve making the decisions.

https://www.swishappeal.com/2018/6/4...mond-deshields

Swish Appeal on Whalen and the Lynx loss to LA.

As stated before the season, fatigue from overseas commitments, Team USA participation and moonlighting might be an issue for this aging team and this is proving to be the case....

...Of most concern for Head Coach Cheryl Reeve should be the head-scratchingly poor play of point guard Lindsay Whalen, who not only has not looked like a champion but barely looks like a player who should be in the league. At the start of the season, Reeve acknowledged that Whalen would only be expected to play about 30 minutes per game as she plays her way back into game shape. Well, if the happenings in Los Angeles on Sunday are any indication, Whalen cannot hang even 10 minutes against the league’s most dominant teams. She played just seven minutes before Reeve pulled her. In that time, Whalen stunk up the stat sheet: 0 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 1 foul and 1 turnover. Danielle Robinson entered the game and contributed 12 points, but ultimately fouled out of the game. Still, Robinson has demonstrated an ability to make actual contributions, so if the Lynx want to stop the downward slide, Reeve must go with the player who can contribute something. Because — like it or not, Lynx fans — fan favorite Whalen did not show up to the season in playing shape and she has now become a liability for her team.

Blog Entries

The Lynx appeared like a tired bunch with not enough fuel left in the tank to eke out those last second victories. Is their age a factor? I think conditioning is.

Carliie Wagner is still raw for the level of play she will see in the WNBA, and IMHO will be best served by going overseas at this point of her career. She must stay in game shape. You never know when a phone call from a pro team will come. She better be ready.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

http://www.startribune.com/thursday-...eet/486083791/

After scoring 17 points in a season-opening loss to Los Angeles, Lynx guard Lindsay Whalen has averaged just 3.5 points in her past 10 games. Her minutes are way down, too — including playing just seven minutes in two of her past five games and not topping 19 in any of those five.

The Lynx are in desperate need of young legs and 3 point shooting especially in their 2nd five. Robinson has never made a 3 point shot in her 7 year WNBA career if you can believe that!! Jones is a terrible shooter, Kiser can’t shoot a lick, Miyem can’t shoot. It really puts the Lynx at a disadvantage with respect to the Sparks and Mercury! One thing Wagner can do is shoot 3’s.