Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default The Next Step: Gophers' Carlie Wagner eyeing WNBA career

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor...fb8395e7b.html

She is hoping to get drafted during the three-round selection process or, at least, get invited to a team’s preseason camp.

“I’d like to keep playing if I could,” Wagner said. “I still love the game.”
    I love hearing this. When I talked to her about pro ball before she came to the U, she was doubtful about the WNBA and really doubtful about overseas ball. Confidence in herself seems to be building. Just grab the bull by the horns, Carlie.

Wagner has been a constant fixture in the weight room and on the court since joining the Gophers.

“I’ve tried to work on things that are outside my comfort zone,” she said. “I’ve tried to improve my defense and just become a more well-rounded player. And I know I’ve grown a lot as a leader, too.”
    As for the WNBA, Stollings said it will be a significant challenge to make it but that Wagner has the mindset to pull it off.

“In the WNBA, it’s hard to get drafted, let alone picked for a roster,” Stollings said. “When she came to us a wide-eyed freshman she did absolutely everything we asked her to do.

“That’s what she’ll have to if she gets to a WNBA camp. She’ll have to listen to what they’re asking her to do, and I know she’s more than capable of doing that.”

LaChina Robinson was part of a pre-draft conference call and said something about Carlie Wagner.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=139140

Q. Wonder if you had a chance to see the University of Minnesota play at all this year and if you thought that Carlie Wagner has enough of what it would take to find a spot in this league as a player off the bench?
    LACHINA ROBINSON: I did. I had an opportunity to watch Minnesota. I had them in the NCAA Tournament. And I was very impressed with Wagner. I think the biggest thing is how she's able to find shots.

She's a great three-point shooter, but it takes so much more than that. I would compare her to Rebecca Greenwell, three-point shooter that worked extremely hard to get open. Her work ethic is incredible. I think one thing that doesn't always translate on watching her on television or watching her on film is how physically fit she is.

She can play an entire game and never take a possession off. One of the challenges for her is definitely on the defensive end. But her ability to come in the game and knock down shots, not concerned about that at all.

So can you do that at an 11th or 12th spot on someone's roster? Depends on that team and their need. But that's always a premium when a player can hit from long range the way Carlie can.

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-draf...rta/479586623/

The Lynx on Thursday night drafted Gophers guard Carlie Wagner with the 36th and final pick of the WNBA draft

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post

Going to be interesting. Hope that she can succeed!

The only way the Lynx can keep Carlie is if they did something like this (max 12 roster)

Whalen/Robinson/Jones
    Augustus/Wright/Wagner
    Moore/Zandalasini
    Brunson/Kizer
    Fowles/Fagbenle

They’d be overloaded at guard and thin at post. They’d have to lean on Maya Moore to backup the PF position. Could be done but not sure they’d want it that way.

If Whalen would quit the Lynx altogether, it’d actually make things easier for the Lynx and Carlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    If Whalen would quit the Lynx altogether, it’d actually make things easier for the Lynx and Carlie.
    And some of us Gopher fans

The only way the Lynx can keep Carlie is if they did something like this (max 12 roster)

Whalen/Robinson/Jones
    Augustus/Wright/Wagner
    Moore/Zandalasini
    Brunson/Kizer
    Fowles/Fagbenle

They’d be overloaded at guard and thin at post. They’d have to lean on Maya Moore to backup the PF position. Could be done but not sure they’d want it that way.

So you want the Lynx to be worse this year?

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    So you want the Lynx to be worse this year?
    They’re probably going to be worse no matter what.

Plenette Pierson: retired
    Kia Perkins: retired
    Renee Montgomery: moved on to ATL (painful)
    Natasha Howard: moved on to SEA (painful)

They brought in some pieces to replace them, but they have no idea how they’ll mesh.

I’m not sure Whalen can focus 100% on the Lynx when she has other things on her mind.
    An experienced coach like Stephanie White tried to coach the Fever during the summer right before coaching Vanderbilt in the fall. The Fever season was a disaster, and I don’t think she got off on the right foot with Vanderbilt either. She’s still stumbling with them.

They’re probably going to be worse no matter what.

Plenette Pierson: retired
    Kia Perkins: retired
    Renee Montgomery: moved on to ATL (painful)
    Natasha Howard: moved on to SEA (painful)

They brought in some pieces to replace them, but they have no idea how they’ll mesh.

I’m not sure Whalen can focus 100% on the Lynx when she has other things on her mind.
    An experienced coach like Stephanie White tried to coach the Fever during the summer right before coaching Vanderbilt in the fall. The Fever season was a disaster, and I don’t think she got off on the right foot with Vanderbilt either. She’s still stumbling with them.
    Lynx will NOT be "worse no matter what". I recently had a conversation with the coach/GM and she feels very good. Obviously they begin by returning all five starters. They will miss Renee (left to play near home) and Howard (traded) but she feels VERY good about the potential of Robinson. She also worked hard to get Wright to return and feels like Zandalasini and Jones are just starting to emerge. Also thinks Miyem (coming from same Italy team as Zan and also has 9 years experience with France national including silver in 2012 Olympics) might have ability. I do agree with Shades that Carly will have a hard time making team (unless one of the five guards ahead of her gets an injury).

Quote Originally Posted by longtermfan View Post
    Lynx will NOT be "worse no matter what". I recently had a conversation with the coach/GM and she feels very good. Obviously they begin by returning all five starters. They will miss Renee (left to play near home) and Howard (traded) but she feels VERY good about the potential of Robinson. She also worked hard to get Wright to return and feels like Zandalasini and Jones are just starting to emerge. Also thinks Miyem (coming from same Italy team as Zan and also has 9 years experience with France national including silver in 2012 Olympics) might have ability. I do agree with Shades that Carly will have a hard time making team (unless one of the five guards ahead of her gets an injury).
    I commented on Shades' post because I'm baffled as to why anyone would want one of the greatest female players in history to retire so that a fringe WNBA player can grab the 12th roster spot.

Good Ski-U-Mah Weekly interview with Carlie.

With all the attention and promotion Carlie Wagner is getting, aren’t they setting up the fans for disappointment if they end up cutting her? From the post-draft interview, it sounded like the Lynx might have to start out the season with only eleven players unless one of the veteran players doesn’t make the cut. That’s really bad news.

Not signing Wright (who is capable of backing up the PG) BEFORE DRob kinda messed things up for the Lynx, in my opinion.