Minnesota Football: Spring Position Preview - Quarterbacks

hungan1

Reaction score
Minnesota Football: Spring Position Preview - Quarterbacks

There is a reason the best photo we could find for this post was of Tanner Morgan throwing during warm-ups.
By Blake Ruane, The Daily Gopher, Mar 27, 2018, 7:05am CDT

The Minnesota Golden Gophers will take on the Golden Gophers of Minnesota in a spring game showdown at noon on Saturday, April 14, at TCF Bank Stadium. Leading up to the game, we’ll be taking a look at each position group and

Key Departure(s): Demry Croft and Conor Rhoda
Key Returner(s): Seth Green and Tanner Morgan
Early Enrollee(s): Zack Annexstad and Vic Viramontes

There is a reason that the best photo I could find for this post was of Tanner Morgan throwing during warm-ups prior to last season’s game against Michigan in Ann Arbor.

None of the quarterbacks on the roster have thrown a collegiate pass at Minnesota.

Gone are Demry Croft and Conor Rhoda. Rhoda has graduated after starting six games as a redshirt senior, and Croft opted to transfer to Tennessee State after taking over for Rhoda midway through the season and starting the Gophers’ final six games. Croft showed the most promise of the pair, but aside from a spirited comeback against Michigan State and running roughshod over a porous squad of Nebraska blackshirts, he struggled for the most part.

So for the second straight year, the Gophers will take the field in their season opener with a new starting quarterback under center. But who will it be?

The top candidates are redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan and redshirt sophomore Vic Viramontes. Morgan, having redshirted last season, is a bit of an unknown, while Viramontes has at least cut his teeth at the junior college level. His mobility is perfect for the RPO offense that offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca wants to run, but he is far from a polished passer.

Redshirt sophomore Seth Green is competing right alongside Morgan and Viramontes this spring, but head coach P.J. Fleck has openly questioned whether Green will still be a quarterback by the end of his college career. He raves about his athleticism, but his accuracy and decision-making need work if he wants to remain under center.

True freshman Zack Annexstad is a name to remember. Barring disaster, he’ll redshirt this season, but from everything I’ve heard about him, he will quietly be making his presence known among the quarterbacks. I don’t now if he’ll ever see the field in his college career, but he is the kind of walk-on who will push the scholarship players in practice.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/3/27/17121010/minnesota-football-spring-position-quarterback-vic-viramontes

I like Demry and Conor, I cheered for them ... I'm not sure I'd call them key departures. I get what the article is saying but ... not a lot of "key" there...

Otherwise good summary.

On the one hand the writer says Annexstad is "a name to remember." then, he says "I don't know if he'll ever see the field in his college career."

So why would we remember a guy who never plays?

That seems like a contradiction to me. But what do I know?

I like Demry and Conor, I cheered for them ... I'm not sure I'd call them key departures. I get what the article is saying but ... not a lot of "key" there...

Otherwise good summary.

Yeah, I'd rather have whomever starts beat out Croft this year (showing he's theoretically an improvement), but I agree, probably not "key" to keep a guy under 50% completion.

On the one hand the writer says Annexstad is "a name to remember." then, he says "I don't know if he'll ever see the field in his college career."

Cause even though he is a preferred walk-on he turned down offers from Pitt, and a few other schools (Can't recall). And willing to bet he plays more than Tanner Morgan during his collegiate career.

Green has a lot of talent. I'm hoping that they will find a position for him early this year to salvage him. If not he may have some regrets in life.

Cause even though he is a preferred walk-on he turned down offers from Pitt, and a few other schools (Can't recall). And willing to bet he plays more than Tanner Morgan during his collegiate career.

I have no idea how this addresses SON's post in the least. I'm guessing you misunderstood his question or are somehow related/friends with the A family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it makes sense .... if you've got serious issues at QB.... and/or you think you'll croot significantly better soon and thus pass over him.

I have no idea how this addresses SON's post in the least. I'm guessing you misunderstood his question or are somehow related/friends with the A family.

No, it was seen as a slight to PJ, so blind rage.

I think it makes sense .... if you've got serious issues at QB.... and/or you think you'll croot significantly better soon and thus pass over him.

It makes sense with recruiting because it is true for every single recruit.
They could be good ("name to remember") or they could be passed on the depth chart ("never see the field").
Take a look at Josh Aune, now that's a name to remember, or you know, he might get passed on the depth chart and rarely see the field.

SON wasn't taking a shot at Annexstad or any way doubting his abilities, he was pointing out the odd combo of quotes.

SON wasn't taking a shot at Annexstad or any way doubting his abilities, he was pointing out the odd combo of quotes.

You are correct. SOB wasn't taking a shot at Annexstad. He was taking a shot at a fellow poster because he thinks it's clever and makes his victim look stupid. He is just like the posters who love to point out spelling and grammar mistakes by other posters. Most of us got what hungan 1 was trying to say without giving it a second thought.

No, it was seen as a slight to PJ, so blind rage.

Huh?

"Cause even though he is a preferred walk-on he turned down offers from Pitt, and a few other schools (Can't recall). And willing to bet he plays more than Tanner Morgan during his collegiate career" signifies blind rage to you? Might want to work on your emotion perception a bit.

You are correct. SOB wasn't taking a shot at Annexstad. He was taking a shot at a fellow poster because he thinks it's clever and makes his victim look stupid. He is just like the posters who love to point out spelling and grammar mistakes by other posters. Most of us got what hungan 1 was trying to say without giving it a second thought.

Do you think hungan1 wrote the article?
This place is looney sometimes.

gKK6Jht.gif

Come back in a few years when your brain fully develops.

Otherwise good summary.

Well I think it is "key" they left. Then we aren't concerned with them taking reps from anyone else...

Weird that a new QB would struggle against a Big Ten defensive slate, with no help around him or above him.

Alert for all posters: Pompous Elitist still believes Demry was pretty good.

If you criticize him in any way, he will rush to his defense and blame last years offensive woes on everything else..

No, I’m simply saying the over the top criticism is ridiculous if one watched the games.

He wasn’t very good, and I wouldn’t have expected him to be. His supporting cast was awful. He played against some great defenses. His protection was terrible. His receivers refused to catch or run routes.

Clear enough?

No, I’m simply saying the over the top criticism is ridiculous if one watched the games.

He wasn’t very good, and I wouldn’t have expected him to be. His supporting cast was awful. He played against some great defenses. His protection was terrible. His receivers refused to catch or run routes.

Clear enough?

Bottom line is that the QB can't do it alone. He needs the others to do their jobs as well.

All that being said, we need to be better in all phases this year. Morgan and VV each bring some talent to the table but personally I’m not expecting them to look like Tom Brady out there in year 1, although that would be nice. If the receivers drop half the catchable passes or they get sub-two seconds of protection or they’re put into impossibly low-percentage third down conversion situations against Big Ten defenses I doubt they’re going to put up spectacular stats.

I sat at the Nebraska game with a Cornhusker buddy of mine (who was openly cheering for the Gophers because he was so desperate to get rid of Mike Riley) and watched Demry own that game on the ground. I was confident that would be a spring board for the Northwestern and Wisconsin games. Well...

I sat at the Nebraska game with a Cornhusker buddy of mine (who was openly cheering for the Gophers because he was so desperate to get rid of Mike Riley) and watched Demry own that game on the ground. I was confident that would be a spring board for the Northwestern and Wisconsin games. Well...

I think the expression is "A million dollar arm (or legs), a 2-cent brain"...

I think the expression is "A million dollar arm (or legs), a 2-cent brain"...

Are you being negative toward a (former) player?

Might be a name to remember if he is our QB3 with the only chance to play this year as an emergency backup if VV and Morgan get hurt. With him being the QB3 it might finally get Green to realize he won’t ever see the field in a significant role at QB and get him to switch to another position to get him and his athleticism onto the field.

Top Bottom