Minnesota Football: Spring Position Preview - Running Backs

hungan1

Reaction score
Minnesota Football: Spring Position Preview - Running Backs

With Shannon Brooks out for the season, the Gophers look to an unproven running back corps to help Rodney Smith
By Blake Ruane, The Daily Gopher, Mar 28, 2018, 7:05am CDT

The Minnesota Golden Gophers will take on the Golden Gophers of Minnesota in a spring game showdown at noon on Saturday, April 14, at TCF Bank Stadium. Leading up to the game, we’ll be taking a look at each position group and

Key Departure(s): Kobe McCrary
Key Returner(s): Rodney Smith, Jonathan Femi-Cole, Mohamed Ibrahim, and Dominik London
Early Enrollee(s): None

Everyone knows Rodney Smith. The redshirt senior has rushed for 2,805 yards on 626 attempts with 21 touchdowns over the last three seasons and led the team in rushing yards for the last two. Smith will arguably be the Gophers’ most valuable offensive player this fall.

But he can’t do it alone.

Head coach P.J. Fleck has emphasized the need for “a pair and a spare” at running back. Last season, he had exactly that with Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Kobe McCrary.

McCrary graduated after finishing second on the team in rushing last season with 496 rushing yards on 94 attempts with eight touchdowns. Brooks will redshirt this fall after suffering a non-contact lower leg injury that will cost him the entire season.

Thus far, redshirt freshman Mohamed Ibrahim seems to be first in line to help ease the workload for Smith. Ibrahim, who has been receiving the bulk of the second team reps this spring, is a between-the-tackles back with good vision. He isn’t a burner, but Ibrahim is adept at finding the hole and accelerating through it. Ibrahim also takes care of the ball, which is important because, as you know, the ball is the program.

Behind Ibrahim for the moment are redshirt junior Jonathan Femi-Cole and redshirt freshman Dominik London. Femi-Cole had a breakout performance at last year’s spring game, but hasn’t been able to translate that into playing time. London is an elusive back who excels in pass protection and at catching the ball out of the backfield.

The competition will be between those three in the spring, but don’t rule out true freshmen Nolan Edmonds and Bryce Williams. One of those two could turn heads in fall camp.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/3/28/17166406/minnesota-football-spring-position-running-back-rodney-smith

Hopefully we have another Shannon Brooks type guy come out of nowhere.

This is still the B1G. I always like to have at least one "bruiser" option among the running backs. On the roster, Femi-Cole is the biggest RB at 228.

So, one of my questions/concerns is whether the Gophers have someone who can help pick up a 3rd-and-short, or 4th-and-short, or goal-line situations. I'm not knocking Smith, but I don't want him to get too beat up, either.

And - goes without saying - but if the OL plays better, that will also help on converting short-yardage situations. That is an area where the Gophs have to be more consistent. The other X-factor there is how much, and how effectively, the QB run will figure into the equation.

This is still the B1G. I always like to have at least one "bruiser" option among the running backs. On the roster, Femi-Cole is the biggest RB at 228.

So, one of my questions/concerns is whether the Gophers have someone who can help pick up a 3rd-and-short, or 4th-and-short, or goal-line situations. I'm not knocking Smith, but I don't want him to get too beat up, either.

And - goes without saying - but if the OL plays better, that will also help on converting short-yardage situations. That is an area where the Gophs have to be more consistent. The other X-factor there is how much, and how effectively, the QB run will figure into the equation.

Viramontes was once listed at 230+ but has “slimmed down” to a svelte 215 on the latest roster. He still has that look of an aggressive runner that will always fall forward for an extra yard or two.

In addition to the othe QB runs maybe the QB sneak will make a reappearance this season.

And - goes without saying - but if the OL plays better, that will also help on converting short-yardage situations. That is an area where the Gophs have to be more consistent. <b>The other X-factor there is how much, and how effectively, the QB run will figure into the equation.</b>

Spot on. We need another ML7 to pick up those tough first downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. You want a guy that can find the hole in short yardage situations. I'd take a guy at 210-20 lb. that can find those little holes over a 240 lb. guy that runs into the backs of his teammates. That was MB3's best talent.

Hopefully we have another Shannon Brooks type guy come out of nowhere.

Nolan Edmonds.

[video]http://www.hudl.com/v/27h3qv[/video]

Is this where a guy like Seth Green might have an impact. Green is a big guy who might be able to move the sticks in short yardage situations.

Yup. You want a guy that can find the hole in short yardage situations. I'd take a guy at 210-20 lb. that can find those little holes over a 240 lb. guy that runs into the backs of his teammates. That was MB3's best talent.

Nolan Edmonds.

[video]http://www.hudl.com/v/27h3qv[/video]

Rodney is a good runner. I hope we keep him as fresh as possible, but I would prefer that he is our RB for the pivotal 3rd/4th-and-shorts.

Top Bottom