Bob Motzko hiring press conference

GopherLady

Reaction score
Hey guys - it didn't work in my schedule to go to the U, but here are some quick notes from the presser (not verbatim):

Mark Coyle
• We want to be about low ego and high output
• He's about relationships, he's about recruiting, and understanding what MN hockey is.
Bob Motzko:
• This is my 3rd and final stop here at the University of Minnesota.
• To the Gopher alumni - I'm blown away by the texts and phone calls I've gotten from the alumni
• We need to build this together, we need to enjoy this together and celebrate this hockey program together
• To the season ticket holders…the only thing I can really promise you is we're going to do it the right way.
• We have to be humble, and find a little humility
• I'm more excited to get started and get away from the microphone. I'm not a fan of microphones and getting in front.
• I've had this weird relationship with coaches, you have to be a good thief. I've stolen so much for everybody I've worked with and for.
• I always thought I had one more move in me. There's really only one job…but it's never going to come to me. This came fast, we lost Friday night, this is Thursday.
• This is a job where you only get one kick at the can, I spent 13 years there, and I wanted it.
• I feel bad for my daughter, she's a freshman here at the U of MN, she moved away from home. Sorry honey, we're coming
• The job's not different, it's tougher because of college hockey. There are monster resources now going into universities. The state of college hockey right now couldn't be stronger.
• In the 70's and 80's there were 8-10 teams that had a legit chance to win a title, now there are 20. That's pretty healthy, the competition has gotten stronger.
• I'm a Viking fan, the Vikings and Packers, what defines a rivalry? Different teams have to win. You're seeing more and more rivalries
• Hiring process: The process, I'm just a regular guy, it's overwhelming how fast it was. We played Friday night, and we have a good hockey team, and your heart is ripped out. I got a call Saturday morning. We met Sunday night in a small group with just good people. They were awesome to deal with. It was honest conversations. Part of me from the loss, you don't get over it overnight, but we were comfortable and we moved from there.
• Different from Don? I still got a lot of energy, not that Don’t doesn't. I'm a people guy, I'm out in public. We're both private. I'm more comfortable talking about me than a comparison…he's a lot smarter than me. He's more polished when he speaks, I'm more comfortable talking from the heart. He was here 19 years, I won't be. I'm going to embrace this state, I love living here, and I love hockey. I'm a recruiter, I love to go to rinks, I'm more comfortable in the rinks.
• Is there a timetable for hiring assistants? No. I worked with Mike and Scott for 4 years, and haven't even had time to sit down and chat. I need some time, and they need time.

Will be interesting as to what happens with the assistants. I don't recall how long it took Lucia to put his first staff together. Motzko might be waiting to see if one of his guys gets hired as head coach at St. Cloud.

Good press conference. You can tell Motzko is a down to earth hockey coach that has always hoped to get a chance to coach the Gophers. You can tell that he is very much aware of the past criticism of the players at the U. He talked about playing fast, aggressive and hard working. He said he told all the players to be humble and prepare to work hard. He is a lot more connected to the Gophers than most people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom