Yahoo Report: Marvin Bagley and family tied to benefits from Nike team sponsorship

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

Duke freshman big man Marvin Bagley III and his family are at the center of an Oregonian investigation about how the family potentially acquired money from Nike during Bagley’s high school career.

At the center of the investigation, reported by Jeff Manning and Brad Schmidt, is Bagley and his family joining the Nike EYBL through the Phoenix Phamily program — organized and coached by Marvin Bagley Jr.

As documented in the report, the Bagley family relocated from a working-class Phoenix suburb to a wealthy Southern California neighborhood after the Phoenix Phamily (and Bagley III) joined the Nike EYBL. The new high school that Bagley III joined, Sierra Canyon, was also a private school with tuition that can be as much as $36,250 a year.

The Oregonian story also points out how Bagley Jr. said in a 2016 Sports Illustrated story that the family was relying on Nike sponsorship and an athletic apparel company he was starting “to make ends meet.”

On the surface level, it appears that Nike was paying a lot of money to the Bagley family to secure Bagley III playing in the EYBL through the invitation of the Phoenix Phamily into the league. It should also be quite clear that Nike also hopes to eventually sign Bagley III to an apparel contract after the Duke freshman officially declared for the 2018 NBA Draft on Wednesday night.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-marvin-bagley-family-tied-001558634.html

Go Gophers!!

So technically there was no violation, but instead a legal loophole was used. Welcome to capitalism at its...finest?!

Interesting that this story didn't pop up until right after Bagley and Duke were eliminated.

I bet coach K didn't know anything about it. Hmmmm

Why would he? This happened when he was inhigh school. The university has nothing to do with this.

Krzyzewski and Nike have been intertwined for 25 years. He's paid millions by them annually and has had such an influence on the brand (and it on him and his program) that he has a building named after him on the Nike campus, one of the highest honors the company gives to its ambassadors. I'm not saying there's a direct line of connection on this story between Bagley, Nike and Duke that brought Bagley to Durham, but I wouldn't have a single doubt that Nike could have acted as Krzyzewski's bag man, to exploit an NCAA loophole to secure the top-rated player in his class without leaving any of K's fingerprints.

Krzyzewski and Nike have been intertwined for 25 years. He's paid millions by them annually and has had such an influence on the brand (and it on him and his program) that he has a building named after him on the Nike campus, one of the highest honors the company gives to its ambassadors. I'm not saying there's a direct line of connection on this story between Bagley, Nike and Duke that brought Bagley to Durham, but I wouldn't have a single doubt that Nike could have acted as Krzyzewski's bag man, to exploit an NCAA loophole to secure the top-rated player in his class without leaving any of K's fingerprints.

"Go to Duke and have a direct line to apparel contracts with Nike when you graduate." pretty good sales line and makes the recruiting playing field completely level.

"Go to Duke and have a direct line to apparel contracts with Nike when you graduate." pretty good sales line and makes the recruiting playing field completely level.

Most of the kids who go to Duke don't need a direct line to the apparel contracts. The apparel companies are going for them.

This isn't really a Duke or Arizona thing (IMO), it's going to happen. There are billion dollar companies that want to pay people (often poor people) a lot of money for something that does not hurt anyone. I know that is a really simple version of it, but it's going to keep happening.

Top Bottom