STrib: Gophers' Carter Coughlin shows benefit of experience during spring practices

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

For Carter Coughlin, spring has offered an opportunity to make an impact both on and off the football field.

On the field, the Gophers junior from Eden Prairie and the team’s sacks leader last season, has been a standout during the six spring practice sessions, feeling more and more at home at a hybrid defensive end/linebacker position.

“Carter Coughlin is flying around. He is so active,’’ coach P.J. Fleck said after Tuesday’s practice. “You can tell this year he is very comfortable.’’

Coughlin, who had 6.5 sacks in 2017, is bigger — up to 232 pounds from 225 last season — and quicker in his decision-making.

“Everything is happening so much faster for me,’’ he said. “I understand my job. Last year, playing run defense out of a defensive end kind of position was challenging at first. We put an install in [this spring], and I’m like, ‘Ah, I already know that.’ So, I get to work on all the little details and make it a lot better.’’

Fleck is seeing the increased confidence in Coughlin. “His trained behavior has become instinct,’’ he said. “It was more of a habit last year.’’

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...experience-during-spring-practices/478126313/

Go Gophers!!

I'm pleased and relieved for Carter. I was really worried, when they moved him, that his great talent would go to waste. It doesn't always happen, but it often happens that a player changes position and you never see them again.

I'm pleased and relieved for Carter. I was really worried, when they moved him, that his great talent would go to waste. It doesn't always happen, but it often happens that a player changes position and you never see them again.

This is one of the reasons helmet schools and better programs can recruit better. They have more depth and guys, for the most part, can stick to a position, redshirt and grow. Coming to MN to build a program is no small commitment for a 4* or higher. Lack of depth causes guys to play early and possibly out of position.

This is one of the reasons helmet schools and better programs can recruit better. They have more depth and guys, for the most part, can stick to a position, redshirt and grow. Coming to MN to build a program is no small commitment for a 4* or higher. Lack of depth causes guys to play early and possibly out of position.

That's one way to look at it, but usually a football player is a football player. Gary Patterson has made a living out of recruiting 2* & 3* guys at one position and turning them into 4* guys at a different position. Your point is well made, but recruiting great talent and finding a place for them is a good option. I think things will continue to get better in recruiting and Gopher football hopefully starts getting many more W's than L's.

Even when he was a senior in high school there were rumblings about him playing a different position. I agree with a lot of what you said, but not necessarily with Carter. He has unique size and athleticism and his "true" position may not be how he was utilized in high school.

Even when he was a senior in high school there were rumblings about him playing a different position. I agree with a lot of what you said, but not necessarily with Carter. He has unique size and athleticism and his "true" position may not be how he was utilized in high school.

It's kind of like Hageman. There were concerns when Hageman was being moved from TE to DE to DT.

I think Umlor is switching from DE to DT this season.

he played on the D line a lot in high school from what I remember about his tape

Yes he did.

His sophomore year he played exclusively d line, jr year he was about 50/50, senior year was exclusively LB. Personally I think he's a better DL than he is LB, lets him just attack and use his athleticism

It's kind of like Hageman. There were concerns when Hageman was being moved from TE to DE to DT.

I think Umlor is switching from DE to DT this season.

Most of those concerns were squashed when they realized he was a 300lb monster of a human being. Not too many tight ends that size around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom