What grade would you give Mark Coyle in hiring Bob Motzko?

• A

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • B

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • C

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • D

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • F

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I think it is a good hire. We are not looking for a 20 year coach, just one to reinvigorate the program and set it up for the next young coach that he will hopefully groom on his staff (5-10 years down the line). I know a lot of people wanted Grant, but let him learn the HC ropes at another school. He will be ready when Bob is done and we have another NC or two under our belts.

I think it is a good hire. We are not looking for a 20 year coach, just one to reinvigorate the program and set it up for the next young coach that he will hopefully groom on his staff (5-10 years down the line). I know a lot of people wanted Grant, but let him learn the HC ropes at another school. He will be ready when Bob is done and we have another NC or two under our belts.

I was really hoping that Coyle would tell the Gopher hockey blue bloods to shove it up their collective arse and hire an outsider like Ben Barr or Steve Rohlik. Sick of watching the same Minnesota master race formula over-and-over.

As a SCSU alum and a Gopher fan when they aren't playing SCSU I appreciate what he did for the program. But I agree his NCAA record is horrific and I think the Gophers could have done better. Now, SCSU should hire Potulny!!!!!!!!!

I marked it a B.

Motzko was the obvious target and Coyle inked him. I would have preferred Leaman or even Rohlik; but Motzko is a hockey big foot who can hit the ice without a misstep. Who will be his assistants and what will they be paid?

We have complained about Lucia not having his teams ready come tournament time and responded by hiring someone who just choked away the number one overall seed in the first round.

From the expectations I've heard on this board, it can't be anything higher than an F unless he wins a national title.

We have complained about Lucia not having his teams ready come tournament time and responded by hiring someone who just choked away the number one overall seed in the first round.

From the expectations I've heard on this board, it can't be anything higher than an F unless he wins a national title.

When someone loses for whatever reason, people always want to use the choke word. I'll take St. Cloud's season over our season this year any day.

This f*cker took a sh*t school like St. Cloud to being a perennial powerhouse and #1 in the nation this season. Wins everywhere he goes. Wonderful hire. Plus it spikes a rival. Go Gophers.

I have mixed feelings about this hire:

On one hand SCSU had a 25-9-6 record this year compared to the Gophers' 19-17-2, and he had them as #1 in the nation this year. So the hope is he can improve on that with the better talent he can recruit to the U.

On the other hand, his tournament record is bad, and they just choked in the tournament again. At least they got to the tournament?

I marked a C. Not overly excited, but we could have done a lot worse. Glad it took only a week to replace Lucia, and I wish Motzko the best. Finger's crossed he assembles a good team of assistants and gets the team performing consistently again.

This f*cker took a sh*t school like St. Cloud to being a perennial powerhouse and #1 in the nation this season. Wins everywhere he goes. Wonderful hire. Plus it spikes a rival. Go Gophers.

I see you've mastered the cut-n-paste.

When someone loses for whatever reason, people always want to use the choke word. I'll take St. Cloud's season over our season this year any day.

He was 16-19 in 2016 and 20-19 in 2014. Five of his last 10 seasons have been basically .500.

He was 16-19 in 2016 and 20-19 in 2014. Five of his last 10 seasons have been basically .500.

Somehow our wires crossed. I'm referring the comment of choke this year and the season that just occurred. I said I'd take his season this year over ours. Wasn't talking about the previous seasons.

Great Hire

This is a great hire! He has done an excellent job at St. Cloud St. He is highly respected by the international hockey experts for the competitive play by the World Tournaments he has coached the U.S. in the las couple of years. I'm very pleased by this hire.:)

The expectations at Minnesota should be a National Championship or two, Frozen Fours, and make the tournament most years (Let’s say over a 10 year period or so).

What’s going to change at Minnesota that Motzko is going to start winning in the post season? Better players? Only if they start recruiting more junior players and some non Minnesota guys. Lucia’s resume when he was hired at the U was more impressive than Motzko’s is now. He had much more post season success in a much shorter time period. This just seems like a safe hire. Hopefully Motzko can step up his game at the U.

This isn’t a hire that gets me excited, or seems to bring any energy or passion to the program. I will say continue to harp though, until MN goes to an NHL size rink, they most likely won’t win a National title. Duluth will continue to dominate MN schools in post season success as it has the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow our wires crossed. I'm referring the comment of choke this year and the season that just occurred. I said I'd take his season this year over ours. Wasn't talking about the previous seasons.

I agree that I would take their season over ours this year. I'm just remembering many fans considering our first round loss to Yale a "choke job" despite the fact that Yale was the eventual national champion, not a team who lost in the very next round.

Heck, there were some who thought Lucia choked when we lost to national champion Union in the national championship game.

What rivalry? Gophers play in a different conference. It's the equivalent of UMN vs NDSU in football. It only matters for a moment to a small group of people.
With the Wild dominating the metro market I doubt that any coach at Mariucci can put butts in the seats. Until UMN acknowleges that they are a minor league attraction, like the St Paul Saints in baseball, they will lose the marketing battle. Their niche is to market a fun, inexpensive activity for young children and families to attend. Until the AD acknowleges this fact, they will have a lot of empty seats in the house.

Fair enough...my point is that he has up and down at StC State.

What rivalry? Gophers play in a different conference. It's the equivalent of UMN vs NDSU in football. It only matters for a moment to a small group of people.
With the Wild dominating the metro market I doubt that any coach at Mariucci can put butts in the seats. Until UMN acknowleges that they are a minor league attraction, like the St Paul Saints in baseball, they will lose the marketing battle. Their niche is to market a fun, inexpensive activity for young children and families to attend. Until the AD acknowleges this fact, they will have a lot of empty seats in the house.

That's like saying Florida-FSU means nothing in football, IU-Kentucky in hoops, etc. Even though they are non-conference games, they are still rivalry games.

That's like saying Florida-FSU means nothing in football, IU-Kentucky in hoops, etc. Even though they are non-conference games, they are still rivalry games.

Naw, he was right. UMD is an in-state rivalry. SCSU, MSU, and BSU are all just local schools who want to beat us. We're more interested in beating UMD, UND, even BU or BC than any of those three.

Did you see how empty the arena was when the Gophers played St Cloud this season? Whatever the rivalry was, it no longer is.

I do not like this hire. Gophs missing the NCAA tourney by .001 the year the Frozen Four was here, and when 3 of their Conf opponents all made the Frozen Four, was the worst thing that could ever have happened imo, as there just didn't see like there was anyone out there who could do for Minnesota what it needs.

But I'll wait to see. I hope I'm wrong? What Minnesota needs more than anything is an incredible coach. Because the NHL will continue to expand and rape and pillage college hockey's blue blood programs of all of their best talent and non-blue bloods are going to continue to have random great seasons so we need a guy who can figure out how to win consistently even when our best young talent gets taken.

I just can't see how hiring a guy with ABSOLUTELY NO NCAA TOURNEY success could be the best hire???

And who did they lose to? Air Force? Are you kidding me? At least when we lost to Yale, they went on to win the Title. AF just got whooped the next round.

this just feels like the beginning of a long series of hires and fires, much like has gone on with the mens bb and football teams. And 15-20 years from now I'll be pointing out how dumb we were for letting Lucia go, the guy with probably the best ability(that he had to learn the hard way) to recruit in a way that minimizes the negative effort that the NHL's needs cause.

Speaking of Lucia, I think the right program out there could hire him and find a truly gem of a coach. But I doubt tDon would want to go that route. But Blais did.

Honestly, SCSU should go after Lucia, lol.

People may point at UMD as an example of a program that is winning consistently? Especially if UMD wins the title this year? Then watch the NHL start to turn it's sights on UMD and start to consider them as a new blue blood program. Then UMD will start to struggle just as UMn has.

The NHL sees NCAA hockey as nothing but a feeder system. Things have changed so drastically over the past 10 or so years that Gopher fans need to adjust their expectations.

This year it was Vegas, next will be Seattle. The NHL is going to continue to need more and more talent to fill the rosters of all of it's teams. And Blue Blood programs will always be who they look to first.

I do not like this hire. Gophs missing the NCAA tourney by .001 the year the Frozen Four was here, and when 3 of their Conf opponents all made the Frozen Four, was the worst thing that could ever have happened imo, as there just didn't see like there was anyone out there who could do for Minnesota what it needs.

But I'll wait to see. I hope I'm wrong? What Minnesota needs more than anything is an incredible coach. Because the NHL will continue to expand and rape and pillage college hockey's blue blood programs of all of their best talent and non-blue bloods are going to continue to have random great seasons so we need a guy who can figure out how to win consistently even when our best young talent gets taken.

I just can't see how hiring a guy with ABSOLUTELY NO NCAA TOURNEY success could be the best hire???

And who did they lose to? Air Force? Are you kidding me? At least when we lost to Yale, they went on to win the Title. AF just got whooped the next round.

this just feels like the beginning of a long series of hires and fires, much like has gone on with the mens bb and football teams. And 15-20 years from now I'll be pointing out how dumb we were for letting Lucia go, the guy with probably the best ability(that he had to learn the hard way) to recruit in a way that minimizes the negative effort that the NHL's needs cause.

Speaking of Lucia, I think the right program out there could hire him and find a truly gem of a coach. But I doubt tDon would want to go that route. But Blais did.

People may point at UMD as an example of a program that is winning consistently? Especially if UMD wins the title this year? Then watch the NHL start to turn it's sights on UMD and start to consider them as a new blue blood program. Then UMD will start to struggle just as UMn has.

The NHL sees NCAA hockey as nothing but a feeder system. Things have changed so drastically over the past 10 or so years that Gopher fans need to adjust their expectations.

This year it was Vegas, next will be Seattle. The NHL is going to continue to need more and more talent to fill the rosters of all of it's teams. And Blue Blood programs will always be who they look to first.
Cough...Holy Cross...cough

Once people accept that Gophers hockey will never again be what it was 10 years ago, we'll all be better off. Teams like ND, Michigan, Ohio St are going to take over (or already have).

You mean kinda like UMD playing with 5 freshman defenseman this year?

You mean kinda like UMD playing with 5 freshman defenseman this year?

Out of curiosity, how many years did those boyz play in the Jrs before they were recruited to Duluth?

Motz will bring in a mix of the top talent (Minny Kids) along with older Junior players. The main reason I like this hire is the way he builds his teams... much better balance than Lucia's last 10+ years.

Motz will bring in a mix of the top talent (Minny Kids) along with older Junior players. The main reason I like this hire is the way he builds his teams... much better balance than Lucia's last 10+ years.

Just curious what you mean by much better balance?

Top Bottom