Motzko the next Gopher Coach! You heard it hear first!

From the U:

Gophers Welcome Back Bob Motzko

A little more than a decade removed from his time on the Minnesota bench as an assistant for two national championship teams, Motzko returns to the ‘U’ as the 15th head coach in program history.

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle announced that he has hired Bob Motzko as the new head coach of the Gopher Men’s Hockey program. Motzko, a Minnesota native and an assistant coach for the two most recent Gopher national championship teams, has spent the past 13 years building St. Cloud State into a national program.

“After 13 years competing against Bob, we are excited to welcome him back to Gopher Hockey, where he had so much success as an assistant earlier in his career,” said Coyle. “Bob has a unique perspective on the program. He grew up rooting for the Gophers, he’s coached for the Gophers and he’s coached against the Gophers. He’s spent much of his career and most of his life in Minnesota. He fully understands this program’s historic legacy and its unique place in our state’s culture. I know he will add to the tradition and success Gopher Hockey has enjoyed for nearly 100 years.”

“I am excited and honored for the opportunity to lead Golden Gopher Hockey,” said Motzko. “The rich history and tradition of this program is honored by so many in our state and around the country. We will work tirelessly to make those people proud.”

Hope he can win some games in the NCAAs, get us to Frozen Fours, and win a championship or two. Welcome back, coach!

Didn't take long. Wonder if other's turned down or Motzko was the focus. Welcome coach!

Not a big fan of the hire. He has a poor NCAA tourney record.

When will the Gophers get rid of the Olympic size rink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope he can win some games in the NCAAs, get us to Frozen Fours, and win a championship or two. Welcome back, coach!

So the bar for the new coach is exactly what the old coach just did for us. Shouldn't have fired the old coach then.
Motzko hasn't been any more successful than Lucia over the last few years while working with older, bigger, and more experienced players.

If you want to fix Gopher hockey then you need to fix ticket sales and alumni/ticket holder relations.
I'm pretty damn sure that Motzko is not going to be the guy to do that.

5-8 record in the NCAA Tournament

Lost the last 2 years as a #1 seed

Great hire:confused:

Didn't take long. Wonder if other's turned down or Motzko was the focus. Welcome coach!

duh.... He was obviously their first choice. They asked, he said yes, done deal....

duh.... He was obviously their first choice. They asked, he said yes, done deal....

micheletti alluded to at least some consideration of guentzel in a wild post-game not long ago so they definitely had at least some discussion, but it appears to have been rather brief.

So the bar for the new coach is exactly what the old coach just did for us. Shouldn't have fired the old coach then.
Motzko hasn't been any more successful than Lucia over the last few years while working with older, bigger, and more experienced players.

If you want to fix Gopher hockey then you need to fix ticket sales and alumni/ticket holder relations.
I'm pretty damn sure that Motzko is not going to be the guy to do that.

Pretty close to my thoughts as well. OK tourney record. Not much younger than Lucia. I don't think there was a "homerun" choice or option out there, but I agree that he's not much of a change from the recent Lucia...who was much more successful in the post season overall.

Pretty close to my thoughts as well. OK tourney record. Not much younger than Lucia. I don't think there was a "homerun" choice or option out there, but I agree that he's not much of a change from the recent Lucia...who was much more successful in the post season overall.

I believe that coaches sometimes too need a change of scenery as well. Hopefully Motzko will make his players work hard in practice and so believe Motzko I believe is an uptick from Lucia. Will be interesting to see if recruiting philosophies change here.

I believe that coaches sometimes too need a change of scenery as well. Hopefully Motzko will make his players work hard in practice and so believe Motzko I believe is an uptick from Lucia. Will be interesting to see if recruiting philosophies change here.

Interested to hear your thoughts on what might change per recruiting.

Not really surprising. I wonder where KillmeNow is?

Top Bottom